Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:12 pm

I hate to see White leave but he obviously wasn't happy or very productive this season (especially during conference play). This will free up another scholarship.....win-win.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 pm

mainejeff wrote:I hate to see White leave but he obviously wasn't happy or very productive this season (especially during conference play). This will free up another scholarship.....win-win.

MJ: Also, agree White didn't look like he was happy with the way he was handled in the conference play. So now 2 scholarships available, but will need to be for grad students, JUCO's, freshmen international/Canadian to immediately eligible.

What could be available in USA as freshmen eligible immediately this late in the recruiting of players.?
bcbc55

Postby imposter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm

One scholarship
imposter

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 pm

imposter wrote:One scholarship

"I": Isn't there 2 Eze's and White's scholarships as Ashley and Wang were walk ons?
bcbc55

Postby MaineFan2019 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm

Bob, I will make this real easy for you.
Maine Graduating players who are currently on scholarship:
Stojijlkovic
Araujo
Eze
White

Maine Players graduating not on Scholarship:
Ashley

Additional Walk-ons Leaving-
Wang

Returning Scholarship Players:
Fleming
El Darwich
Antoms
Larrson
Yagodin
Iluyomade
Prijovic
Ingo
Moss

Incoming players Already Signed to Scholarships:
Stumer
Wright-Mcleish
Radokovic

That equals 12 scholarships of the 13 total that are already given out. My math means there is 1 more to be signed..

Hope that helps with the confusion

Tom, Please email me as I have been locked out of my normal log-in!
MaineFan2019

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 pm

MaineFan2019 wrote:Bob, I will make this real easy for you.
Maine Graduating players who are currently on scholarship:
Stojijlkovic
Araujo
Eze
White

Maine Players graduating not on Scholarship:
Ashley

Additional Walk-ons Leaving-
Wang

Returning Scholarship Players:
Fleming
El Darwich
Antoms
Larrson
Yagodin
Iluyomade
Prijovic
Ingo
Moss

Incoming players Already Signed to Scholarships:
Stumer
Wright-Mcleish
Radokovic

That equals 12 scholarships of the 13 total that are already given out. My math means there is 1 more to be signed..

Hope that helps with the confusion

Tom, Please email me as I have been locked out of my normal log-in!

MaineFan2019: Thank you very much. I am now unconfused except that you did not mention freshmen 6'7" red shirt walkon David Begic.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 pm

If they have a scholarship available now I would like them to take a look at this kid. He is from Spain.
6 foot 11 Eric Villa. Probably wishful thinking on my part they might actually get a Big in the middle for a change.

Stats on 6 foot 11 Eric Villa - Northwest Florida State College - Niceville, Florida - 24 Wins 4 losses - Rated 4th Nationally - JUCO

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Er ... mary/76134

http://nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/2018- ... _eric_68x4
basketball_guy

Postby hoopsisme » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 am

Assuming Villa is available, at 6' 11 why isn't he signed? Holding out for late signing period?
hoopsisme

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:46 am

bcbcb55 - I don't know why you keep thinking through the years there will be no talent remaining in the spring signing period?

Yes the true high level players sign in the fall. But those are the kids going to Power 5 conferences, or even the second tier (A-10, CAA, AAC, ect). But for those mid majors and low majors the spring period is where most of hte work gets done.

Kids grow another inch, kids develop a jump shot or post move during their high school season, there are more opportunities for them to play and improve and that gets more kids more time to develop and more offers.

Spring is not an empty recruiting landscape.

All of the attention is on the big names in the fall, the future lottery picks, the kids going to Big 12 conference schools and such. But rosters are filled with spring signings.

The fact Maine inked 3 kids in the fall is unheard of.
Linguist

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 am

Yes he is a true BIG. He had some issues at Texas A and M and initially transferred to Fresno State but then went the JUCO route. Perhaps he had some grade issues. But he is playing for the 4th rated NJCAA team in the country. I have seen him play this year. He happens to be in my neighborhood. They are in the midst of a run in the NJCAA tournament now. 24-4 and rated 4th nationally. I have seen him play. This is the type of player Maine needs in the middle. I hope Maine goes after him.

He is typical of a JUCO but he is a BIG for a change and Maine needs someone in the middle. This is type of recruit that Maine has got to land once and while and being from Spain he would fit into Barrons type of International recruit. Plus he has played in Europe as well.

Barron would do well to go after this kid with a scholarship now available. I don't know his status in terms of other schools except he is still available at this point and probably won't make any decisions until after the JUCO season is over with but right now they are making a run in the NJCAA tournament. His stats speak well of him.
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics