UMaine men’s basketball a journey in program-building

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine men’s basketball a journey in program-building

Postby MattyB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am

UMaine men’s basketball rebuilding effort a journey in progress

Nobody said it would happen overnight.

When Richard Barron was named the men’s basketball coach at the University of Maine on March 5, 2018, the former Black Bear women’s basketball mentor described the start of his new venture as “the first steps in a thousand-mile journey.”

One year later, Barron is more confident that this rebuilding effort will see results, though many miles remain in that journey.

UMaine finished the 2018-19 season with almost exactly the same record it had a year ago, 5-27 overall and 3-13 in America East conference play, compared to 6-26 and 3-13 last winter.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/03/12/ ... -progress/
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Re: UMaine men’s basketball a journey in program-building

Postby driveandive » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

Is there any reason they shouldn't go 8-8 or better in conference next year other than injuries?
driveandive

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:02 pm

driveandive wrote:Is there any reason they shouldn't go 8-8 or better in conference next year other than injuries?

I can't think of 1.
thebam

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 pm

I’d be happy with a jump to 6 or 7 conference wins, 8 wins would be terrific progress. Maine will need to show significant improvement in the win column to attract a stellar 20-21 recruiting class. Maine will lose: Fleming, El-Darwich and White after the coming year. Fact is Maine needs difference makers to advance the program and maybe win a game or two in the AE tournament in 2 years. I like Barron’s systems, but ultimately Maine needs players who can execute: finish at the rim, make 3s at a higher percentage (and free throws) and also hold their own defensively. The injured players, transfer and incoming recruits will help some. Hopefully enough progress is made next year to attract higher caliber players in the future. I have faith in Coach Barron to make that happen.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I’d be happy with a jump to 6 or 7 conference wins, 8 wins would be terrific progress. Maine will need to show significant improvement in the win column to attract a stellar 20-21 recruiting class. Maine will lose: Fleming, El-Darwich and White after the coming year. Fact is Maine needs difference makers to advance the program and maybe win a game or two in the AE tournament in 2 years. I like Barron’s systems, but ultimately Maine needs players who can execute: finish at the rim, make 3s at a higher percentage (and free throws) and also hold their own defensively. The injured players, transfer and incoming recruits will help some. Hopefully enough progress is made next year to attract higher caliber players in the future. I have faith in Coach Barron to make that happen.

"BZ": Wish I had as much confidence in the future of the Maine Men's program as you do. I'm more like the man from Missouri "The Show me State". SHOW ME. I will believe it when I can see it for myself. My biggest problem was that the biggest problem that they had this year was fixable. Poor shooting percentages for 3's 31.1% and poor foul shooting at 64.8%.

Not improving these two areas which could have and should have been fixed was not done cost them wins. After all the way you win games in basketball is to put the round 9" in diameter sphere into the 18" in diameter round target more then your opponents do.

Also, the fact the second time around the AE schedule Maine's 8 opponents were ready for Maine's offensive sets and they were better prepared to defend them then Maine was to have something different to run or more options off what they ran the first round of the schedule.

Maine went 3-5 the first round of the schedule and averaged 63.8ppoffensively and gave up 65.9ppg defensively.
Maine went 0-8 the second round of the schedule and averaged 60.4PPG offensively and gave up 73.9ppg defensively. Granted Fleming missed the last 3 1/2 games in the second round of the schedule.

"Figures don't lie" and Maine's opponents seemed better prepared then Maine was for the second meetings of each opponent.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Good points you make, Coach. It’s on the returning players and coaches to improve the team shooting percentages. Better offensive execution will help get those field goal percentages up. Poor Free throw shooting lost a couple of games for Maine this year. 64% is not acceptable. That needs to come up to at least 70%. Proper technique and repetition. No excuse not to improve that. Moss and Fleming really need to improve at the line. Would like to see Maine get their 3 point percentage up to 35% and their 2 point field goal percentage up to 45%.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Good points you make, Coach. It’s on the returning players and coaches to improve the team shooting percentages. Better offensive execution will help get those field goal percentages up. Poor Free throw shooting lost a couple of games for Maine this year. 64% is not acceptable. That needs to come up to at least 70%. Proper technique and repetition. No excuse not to improve that. Moss and Fleming really need to improve at the line. Would like to see Maine get their 3 point percentage up to 35% and their 2 point field goal percentage up to 45%.

"BZ": To me it is on the coaches not the players to improve their shooting percentages. Evidently the players don''t know what their poor shooting fundamentals are. If the coaches cannot improve the players shooting skills then they should find someone who can, But you would think after a full season that should have been done by now.

If the players are coachable and someone can demonstrate to them the correct shooting techniques to improve their shooting percentages then they should improve. But to do what you suggested for their shooting % to for next season they better get started now to bring the foul shooting to 70%, 3 point % to 35% and 2 point shooting % to 45% as you stated. But those are just average percentages for good high school players and teams let alone D-1 college players and teams. They should be at 48% for FG%, 35-37 for 3's and 70-75% for foul shooting.

Maine did shoot 50% for 2's this year. They took 37.5% of the FGA's as 3's and adding up their 3 shooting percentages of 3's 31.1%, 2's 50%, and 1's 64.8% was their true shooting percentages of 48.6% for the 32 games played..

Repititions builds skill but it has got to be the correct and right repititions.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics