Coaching without ego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Coaching without ego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Just read a very interesting article about "Coaching without Ego". It was about coaches who take players out of games and yell and scream at them for mistakes they just made on the floor. This Blog article would be of value to any coach at any level to read. When I was officiating at the high school and college level here in Maine I saw more coaches. "Coaching with EGO", then I did without Ego.

Coaching with Ego is a way for coaches to let everyone in the gym that he/she the coach is in charge and many want everyone in the gym to know that and it does not help his team/players improve.

I agree with the article and when I was coaching at the high school level whenever I took out a player in a game for poor play I never yelled or screamed at them. They just sat down beside my number one assistant coach and was asked why he thinks he was taken out and if he doesn't know then the assistant coach tells him the reason.

This allows for a positive teaching or coaching moment.

We used to have 4 offensive rules and 4 defensive rules that we used in practice and games.

In practices we would sit the 6th man in a chair on the left corner and the 7th man on the right side on the corner.

If when scrimmaging or working 5 on 5 half-court one of those 4 offensive or 4 defensive rules were broken on the next dead ball I would ask the 6th man if he knew who broke the rule and what rule did he break, If the 6th man knew by saying Number 15 offensive rule 3 then he came in for the player who made the mistake and he ran a lap around the gym and the 7th man moved over to the 6th man's chair and the player completing the lap took the 7th man chair.

Next time a rule is broken and the 6th man doesn't know who or what then I asked the 7th man and if he knew who and what then he came in and the 6th man and the player on the floor who broke a rule each ran lap around the court. When they completed their laps the player who was taken out took the 6th man chair and the 6th man takes the 7th man chair.

If neither know then I ask if the players who made the mistake and if the player who broke the rule owns up to it and knew what the mistake was then he stayed on the court and the 6th and 7th men stayed in their chairs. If the player on the floor doesn't know then all three of them run and when returning their lap the 7th man comes in the 6th man stays at 6 and the player who made the mistake goes to 7.

I am sure the players could come back and run that drill today as we ran it every day for practices and also in games. In games we give them 2 breaking of the rules before we took them out and then the player comes out and sits beside the assistant coach and is asked what 2 mistakes did he to force the head coach to take him out. If he doesn't know then the assistant coach tells him as he is charting those mistakes.

Here are the 8 rules we used:

Offensive:
1.When you Leave your feet shoot the ball and it better be a high percentage shot
2. Don't pass of the dribble stop then pass
3. Catch and pivot facing the basket anytime you receive the ball on the court
4. Catch ball at three point line make sure your feet are squared to the basket and look inside first before you do anything else

Defensive:
1. Guarding a player with the ball always keep left hand up on a righty and right on a lefty
2. Don't leave your feet guarding a player with the ball until he leaves his feet
3. Don't block a shot until the ball leaves the shooters hands
4. Guarding a player without the ball always keep the triangle of you, your man and the ball

Simple things but are really negative to your team when you break anhy of these 8 rules.

To read this entire well written, interesting, timely, relevant, informative and needed article can be seen by going to BobWalsh's former UMaine men's basketball coach at bobwalshblog. Walsh is currently working at the IMG Basketball Academy as the technical Director in Florida. I always read his blogs and they are very interesting even though he is not in Maine he still writes his daily basketball blog.

Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: Coaching without ego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm

So that was his problem.....
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:48 pm

mainejeff wrote:So that was his problem.....

'MJ": I don't know. I knew that you would respond to this post. But I do find his BLOGS interesting
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am

bcbc55 wrote:

'MJ": I don't know. I knew that you would respond to this post. But I do find his BLOGS interesting

He's long winded......you're long winded. I get it. ;)
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 am

Coach Calhoun from UConn was everything coach cim says he shouldn't have been. I think he did alright. You would be hard pressed to find an ex player who didn't enjoy playing for him.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:48 am

thebam wrote:Coach Calhoun from UConn was everything coach cim says he shouldn't have been. I think he did alright. You would be hard pressed to find an ex player who didn't enjoy playing for him.

"thebam": There are exceptions to every rule. And in coaching there are exceptions and different definitions of success?
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:51 am

mainejeff wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

He's long winded......you're long winded. I get it. ;)

"MJ": Good line!....Well our first names are the same BOB. Cold stand for "Big On Baloney"? Surely not not the other BIG on B.......!
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 am

thebam wrote:Coach Calhoun from UConn was everything coach cim says he shouldn't have been. I think he did alright. You would be hard pressed to find an ex player who didn't enjoy playing for him.

And Bobby Knight, and Mike Krzyzweski, and Bob Huggins, and Bill Self, and Geno Auriemma, and Pat Summit, and Rick Pitino, and Lute Olsen.

But those are just 8 of the winningest coaches in college basketball history. Bob Walsh should really tell them what to do, a guy with 24 division 1 wins. or BCBC55 with his 0 division 1 wins.
Linguist

Postby dunbar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 am

It’s hard to listen to someone preach about not having an ego when they use 35 exclamation points in the subject line.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 am

dunbar wrote:It’s hard to listen to someone preach about not having an ego when they use 35 exclamation points in the subject line.

:lol:
mainejeff

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics