Final: Lamb's 34pts leads Vermont by Maine 73-57

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Final: Lamb's 34pts leads Vermont by Maine 73-57

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Agreed that the Maine women do the player, fan interaction as well. Patrick gym has a buzz to it that is hard to describe. It's like Mardi gras. Fans sit right on top of the court. New arena in 2 gears. Gotta wonder if that will change the noise level and environment.

I see them becoming Gonzaga of the East......I'm not kidding! :o
mainejeff

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:22 pm

A lot of hearsay about them heading to the A10 once new arena opens. The entire operation is far ahead of most of this conference.
hoopsisme

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 pm

hoopsisme wrote:A lot of hearsay about them heading to the A10 once new arena opens. The entire operation is far ahead of most of this conference.

At first glance.....I would say no. But the travel really would not be that much worse. A few more flights.....but trade Maine, UNH, Albany & Stony Brook for UMass, URI, St. Bonaventure and Fordham. Plus St. Joes & LaSalle. An A-10 schedule would certainly ensure sellouts at their new digs.
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

mainejeff wrote:
hoopsisme wrote:A lot of hearsay about them heading to the A10 once new arena opens. The entire operation is far ahead of most of this conference.

At first glance.....I would say no. But the travel really would not be that much worse. A few more flights.....but trade Maine, UNH, Albany & Stony Brook for UMass, URI, St. Bonaventure and Fordham. Plus St. Joes & LaSalle. An A-10 schedule would certainly ensure sellouts at their new digs.

Does the A-10 need them? Does it really push the conference forward?
parquetfloor

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

Does the A-10 need them? Does it really push the conference forward?

No and no.
dunbar

Postby CoachA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Parquetfloor...agree totally! It always boils down to what can you do with your own recruits. College coaching is so much about the recruiting. Get the player to campus, make sure they stay, help them get better as players and people, and get a degree....College Coaching 101. I have confidence that the women's coaching staff will bring in some quality players. They will have to after losing Sutton and Rossignol. Even more important when they lose Millan and Wadling.
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
thebam wrote:One of 2 things will need to happen. The first, Maine fans need to not be so blatantly fair weather and actually go support the program, or the more likely option, Barron gets the program turned around ( this will upset a lot of haters but it's coming) and the they start winning a lot and the fair weather fans suddenly do more than just wear tee shirts.

"thebam": Got 2 more years to at least go 17-15 as he did with the women after 2 win seasons of 4 and 6 3rd year 17-15 the big turn around year and then two consecutive 20 win seasons, but it took Coach Vachon to get them to the big dance. UMaine men and Barron have something in common they have never been to the BIG Dance while at Maine.

She did it in 1 plus seasons and he has been at Maine coaching 6 plus seasons.

I give him until third year and has to be at least 17-15 to make me convinced he was the right man for the ob without having a national search and then if he was the best candidate than so be it.

3 years? That's it? To build a friggin Div I basketball from a pile of dung. SMFH.

And please...giving Vachon all that credit when she got to the tourney with Barron's players? She has done a great job, no doubt, but the "she did it in 1 plus seasons" is crap. However, taking over the women's program for where it was to taking over the men's program where it was are 2 entirely different things.

"parquetfloor": Sure there was/is a difference in taking over those two programs, But remember. The Maine women's program was in just as bad shape as the men's program is now when Barron took the women's job. So 3 years is enough time.

Vachon may have done it with Barron's recruits but who do you think did most of the recruiting on those recruits in the first place?

Why do you think all those players transferred 3 years ago out and one starter now didn't play a year, but came back when Vachon took over the head job? Remember the Clemson game and the deal with the subs??????????

You don't get on players in front of fans during games. Fans who sit right behind the Maine men's bench tell me that he was on White's case and others at the end of the season. Good way to get players to transfer out.

By the way just my opinion and as I said before. If they had had a national search and Barron was the best candidate and best fit for Maine men's program, then so be it. That didn't happen and as a land grant, public institution I want to see things done that are done the right way because In the ESPN article about Barron it stated that the leaving AD asked Barron of he wanted the Maine men's job an then the AD leaves and gives him a 5 year contract.

Barron knew what he was getting into with the men's program compared to what he was getting into with the women's program seeing that he had been on campus for 6 years.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 pm

bcbc55 wrote:"parquetfloor": Sure there was/is a difference in taking over those two programs, But remember. The Maine women's program was in just as bad shape as the men's program is now when Barron took the women's job. So 3 years is enough time.

Vachon may have done it with Barron's recruits but who do you think did most of the recruiting on those recruits in the first place?

Why do you think all those players transferred 3 years ago out and one starter now didn't play a year, but came back when Vachon took over the head job? Remember the Clemson game and the deal with the subs??????????

You don't get on players in front of fans during games. Fans who sit right behind the Maine men's bench tell me that he was on White's case and others at the end of the season. Good way to get players to transfer out.

By the way just my opinion and as I said before. If they had had a national search and Barron was the best candidate and best fit for Maine men's program, then so be it. That didn't happen and as a land grant, public institution I want to see things done that are done the right way because In the ESPN article about Barron it stated that the leaving AD asked Barron of he wanted the Maine men's job an then the AD leaves and gives him a 5 year contract.

Barron knew what he was getting into with the men's program compared to what he was getting into with the women's program seeing that he had been on campus for 6 years.

Again, taking over the women's program vs the men's program are 2 entirely different things. Why do you think he could rebuild the women's program relatively fast? Look at all the tradition he could point to...attendance, NCAA appearances, NCAA win, conference titles, 20 win seasons, players in the pros, etc etc etc.

Now, what kind of tradition does he have to sell to men's prospects? I'll wait for your list...

You most certainly get on players. Do you even watch games or just say you do? I have seen Coach K, Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Bill Self and Gary Williams to name just a handful rip into guys on the sideline when they are screwing up. Now, I have no idea what they are saying but I can certainly see the way in which the message is being delivered.

I guess you are just "assuming" a lot of things about Barron, transfers, recruiting, etc. But, since it is you, we should just all go along with it and accept it as truth right?

Anyway, the whole point of my even getting into this conversation is that 3 years is ridiculous for anyone to expect a complete overhaul of one of a handful of programs that has never ever made the NCAA Tournament and has ZERO for tradition.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:54 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:"parquetfloor": Sure there was/is a difference in taking over those two programs, But remember. The Maine women's program was in just as bad shape as the men's program is now when Barron took the women's job. So 3 years is enough time.

Again, taking over the women's program vs the men's program are 2 entirely different things. Why do you think he could rebuild the women's program relatively fast? Look at all the tradition he could point to...attendance, NCAA appearances, NCAA win, conference titles, 20 win seasons, players in the pros, etc etc etc.

Now, what kind of tradition does he have to sell to men's prospects? I'll wait for your list...

You most certainly get on players. Do you even watch games or just say you do? I have seen Coach K, Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Bill Self and Gary Williams to name just a handful rip into guys on the sideline when they are screwing up. Now, I have no idea what they are saying but I can certainly see the way in which the message is being delivered.

I guess you are just "assuming" a lot of things about Barron, transfers, recruiting, etc. But, since it is you, we should just all go along with it and accept it as truth right?

Anyway, the whole point of my even getting into this conversation is that 3 years is ridiculous for anyone to expect a complete overhaul of one of a handful of programs that has never ever made the NCAA Tournament and has ZERO for tradition.

"Parquetfloor": WE have always seem to agree on things here on MBR. But please read my "Coaching without Ego" thread here on MBR Maine D-1 Athletics and then you may Understand why I do not believe in YELLING, SCREAMING OR GETTING ON PLAYERS DURING GAMES OR PRACTICES FOR THAT MATTER and never did it when I was coaching.

I went into coaching for one reason and one reason only in 1960-61 "TO TEACH THE LIFE LESSONS THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT OR LEARNED IN THE ACADEMIC CLASSROOMS" and I don't care what level you are coaching at you cannot teach these "Life Lessons" properly by getting on players verbally. I used the John Wooden statement that The coaches best friend is the bench". He should have added "The Wooden Bench".

When I took a player out of a game for poor play the player sat down on the bench beside the assistant coach and he was asked why did the head coach take you out and if he didn't know the assistant coach would tell him.

We also used a similar type of system of telling a player if he knew why he was sitting during practice and if he did not know he was told.

I was more interested in "Life Lessons" than I was wins, but this way of treating players having to sit down lead to some very successful coaching seasons for the players, team. fans at me at 3 different high schools.

I guess it is just "Different basketball coaching strokes for different basketball coaching folks.

I am just trying to agree to disagree with you on this subject in a polite and positive way without getting a little unhinged by a post to me and getting a little negative towards me about my post.

As far as assuming on Barron about transfers and recruiting> The proof is in the pudding. Didn't he have 5 or 6 players all transfer out with the women's team 3 years ago? Doug Leichner was the first UMaine coach to recruit internationally at Maine and he was doing that before Barron got to Maine.

Also, Brad Stevens is my idea of how a coach should handle players and "Coaching without Ego".

Do you think that the coaches you mentioned could actually, "Coach without Ego"?

I prefer positive role models as coaches, players and officials.

That is just me.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:18 pm

bcbc55 wrote:"Parquetfloor": WE have always seem to agree on things here on MBR. But please read my "Coaching without Ego" thread here on MBR Maine D-1 Athletics and then you may Understand why I do not believe in YELLING, SCREAMING OR GETTING ON PLAYERS DURING GAMES OR PRACTICES FOR THAT MATTER and never did it when I was coaching.

I went into coaching for one reason and one reason only in 1960-61 "TO TEACH THE LIFE LESSONS THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT OR LEARNED IN THE ACADEMIC CLASSROOMS" and I don't care what level you are coaching at you cannot teach these "Life Lessons" properly by getting on players verbally. I used the John Wooden statement that The coaches best friend is the bench". He should have added "The Wooden Bench".

When I took a player out of a game for poor play the player sat down on the bench beside the assistant coach and he was asked why did the head coach take you out and if he didn't know the assistant coach would tell him.

We also used a similar type of system of telling a player if he knew why he was sitting during practice and if he did not know he was told.

I was more interested in "Life Lessons" than I was wins, but this way of treating players having to sit down lead to some very successful coaching seasons for the players, team. fans at me at 3 different high schools.

I guess it is just "Different basketball coaching strokes for different basketball coaching folks.

I am just trying to agree to disagree with you on this subject in a polite and positive way without getting a little unhinged by a post to me and getting a little negative towards me about my post.

As far as assuming on Barron about transfers and recruiting> The proof is in the pudding. Didn't he have 5 or 6 players all transfer out with the women's team 3 years ago and didn't a player leave and then return when Vachon took over? Doug Leichner was the first UMaine coach to recruit internationally at Maine and he was doing that before Barron got to Maine.

Also, Brad Stevens is my idea of how a coach should handle players and "Coaching without Ego".

Do you think that the coaches you mentioned could actually, "Coach without Ego"?

I prefer positive role models as coaches, players and officials.

That is just me.

There is a time and a place for everything, not to mention not every player reacts the same way to coaching styles. There are some you could get after them and they fold like a wet paper towel. Then there are others that if you DON'T get on them, they won't change the behavior the coach is trying to correct. Different players react differently and a great coach figures out what works for every kid and coaches them accordingly IMO.

The transfer is such a moot point IMO. There are so many transfers, both men and women, nowadays that it almost doesn't even matter to me anymore.

Also, did players transfer out due to the condition that the Coach was battling health-wise? Did the one decide to come back because the unfortunate situation was resolved and no longer in flux? Was he maybe acting differently due to the health situation he was dealing with? All those are questions that I'm not sure anyone here has the answers to. So, I am not assuming anything at all.

What on earth does Leichner have to do with this conversation?????????????? (throwing in extra ?'s is fun)
parquetfloor

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics