AE WBB Semi-Finals: Maine (1) vs. Albany (4) - 3/10/19

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: AE WBB Semi-Finals: Maine (1) vs. Albany (4) - 3/10/19

Postby billzfan34 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hard to believe that no player or the team joined the tourney record book after starting 24-24 and finishing 24-26,but the individual record is several at 1.000%(min. 5 attempts) with Sutton(9-10) and Saar(10-11) missing out and Blanca(2-2) and Rossignal(3-3) not qualifying. Maine as a team fell shy with a % of .923 with league records of .941-1.000. Great comeback vs. a gritty Albany team.
billzfan34

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm

pre3time wrote:Awesome game at the PIT!!! The crowd, band & cheerleaders nailed it, great atmosphere for a playoff game!!! …..Maine needs to hit the easy layups and open shots going forward....Taller skill teams will overwhelm them in games to come....Nice come back ladies!!!

"pre3time": Good post. Agree Maine only shot 30% to Albany's 37.7% from the floor and only 28.6% from 3's to Albany's 25%. it was the foul line on 24 of 26 for 92% to Albany's 8-11 for 72.7% that got Maine the win and the defensive adjustments Vachon made at half time that Albany didn't adjust too. Maine doubled the post more and Albany didn't change their floor player spacing which made it even easier to stop their inside game even with their size advantage.

Maine wins by 15 and out score Albany 24 to 8 16 points.

Maine could have problems against teams with BIGS that are decent post up players and have good player floor spacing to force double teams to stop the 1 on 1's on the block or kickouts to open shooters for 3's on double teams and teams that post up Saar when Maine is man-to-man defense.
bcbc55

Postby MattyB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Black Bears Advance to Fourth-Straight America East Championship with Victory over UAlbany

ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine women's basketball team battled back from a 12-point first quarter deficit to earn the right to play in its fourth-straight America East Championship game after a thrilling, 66-51 victory over UAlbany in Sunday's America East semifinal contest held at The Pit in historic Memorial Gymnasium.

The Black Bears, who have now won 13 in a row, will host No. 2 Hartford in a rematch of last year's championship game on Friday, March 15 at 5 p.m. with a spot in the NCAA Tournament on the line. Tickets are available now by phone at 207.581.BEAR, in-person by visiting the Alfond Arena box office or online at GoBlackBears.com/tickets.

Maine, which will appear in the league championship game for the 18th time, outscored UAlbany 32-19 in the second half to earn a come from behind victory over the Great Danes. The Black Bears hit 23-straight free throws in the win, finishing the day an impressive 24-of-26 from the charity stripe. Tanesha Sutton poured in 21 points to finish in double-figures for the seventh consecutive game after hitting 9-of-10 free throws, pulling down seven rebounds and dishing out four assists.

Dor Saar went 10-of-11 from the charity stripe, totaling 16 points and five assists while Blanca Millan chipped in 16 points, seven boards and three steals.

The Black Bears, who went a perfect 11-of-11 from the free throw line in the second quarter, won the rebounding battle, 41-35 including a 14-7 advantage on the offense boards.

Maine fell behind early, shooting just 4-of-16 in the first quarter and 2-of-11 over the first nine minutes. The Great Danes used Maine's slow start to build a 17-5 advantage late in the first before carrying a 10-point edge into the second period.

The Black Bears, trailing by 11 early in the second, began to chip away when Saar found Parise Rossignol for three. Rossignol was fouled on the make as her four-point play ignited an 11-1 swing in Maine's favor. Saar continued to work the offense, finding Maeve Carroll for two to trim the deficit to four. Saar was fouled on a 3-point attempt and went to the line where she knocked down all three of her attempts to bring Maine to within one.

UAlbany was able to push its lead back to three but Maine continued to cash in from the charity stripe. Two free throws from Rossignol cut the advantage back to one before Saar electrified the Memorial Gym crowd with a triple to give Maine its first lead of the afternoon.

The Black Bears closed the half on an 8-4 run to take a 34-32 lead into the break.

Millan's triple in the third gave Maine a 40-36 lead. A bucket from Kyara Frames with 3:09 left in the third would be UAlbany's final bucket of the period. Maine closed out the third on a 6-0 run as Fanny Wadling's late layup sent the game into the final quarter with the Black Bears holding a 46-38 edge.

Sutton began the fourth with a make while drawing the foul. Her free throw extended the lead to 11 before UAlbany was finally able to hit a bucket to end its 3:22 scoreless drought.

The Great Danes would trim the lead to seven with 2:59 to play but were unable to close the gap further.

Rossignol dialed up another triple, extending the lead to 10 while jump starting a 9-0 Maine run. Six free throws later, the Black Bears would find themselves with their largest lead of the contest, 64-48, with 48-seconds to play.

Maine closed out the contest with two more free throws to help send it back to the America East Championship with a 66-51 victory over the visiting Great Danes.

-UMaine-
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm

As much as I respect other AE coaches such as Kim McNeil at Hartford and Alisa Kresge at UVM (interim), yesterday may have matched the two best bench coaches in Coach Vachon and Colleen Mullen of Albany. Advantage: Vachon.

Mullen came in with a good game plan, to pack the inside with the bigs, to deny Maine the open three and to be physical at all times. It worked for a bit more than a quarter. When Maine's shots started dropping (at least a bit better than the 25 percent of the first quarter) and its defense tightened, Albany didn't respond well. From the time it had been 21-9, Maine outscored Albany 57-30.

Man, it helps to have Tanesha on your side. What a performance. Had most of Maine's points in the first 12 to 14 minutes despite a double team from Albany's bigs. T's mobility, smarts and body control give her two or three more inches in height. She found a way between (and among) the bigs time after time. Three of her seven boards were offensive, and, as Mullen noted, even when she was boxed out she managed to get the ball. Not to mention that she's tough as nails.

Stopping Heather Forster may have been the key defensive move for Coach Vachon. Forster had 15 in the first half, four in the second. Game stories in the papers noted that Parise began moving in on helpside defense to front Forster. Others did too, and Forster's frustration came out when she barreled into Tanesha in the fourth, dropping T to the floor and appearing to make her woozy. Refs looked at the replay, possibly looking for a flagrant, but left it as a charging call. Sitting at courtside, I saw the play as not worthy of a more serious call, though it may have been rougher than necessary. Give Forster full marks. When T came back to throw in the ball after the refs called time to review the play, Forster put out her hand to shake Tanesha's hand as a gesture of sportsmanship. Love to see that.

As a team, Albany should have outrebounded Maine by a margin of at least 5-4 or 4-3. But instead it was more like 7-6 in Maine's favor (41-35). Albany started three at 6-2/6-3 but those three pulled down only five offensive boards. Winning the battle of the boards against a team that most of the time had three on the floor at 6-2 or more is remarkable. None of Albany's bigs is particularly agile, which helped Maine, but Albany is more than 6-2 down low on average and Maine is 6-0 (counting Blanca).

We should note that Maeve is turning into a rebounding machine. She averages just under 20 minutes a game and has 112 boards, or four a game in her 28 games. Of those, 49 are offensive. Only T and Fanny have more O boards. Project that onto her playing 30 minutes a game, which she might well do next year if she can learn to stay out of foul trouble, and she would be averaging nearly six a game, nearly three a game offensive. Her positioning and court sense remind me of Monica Peterson (2001-05).

When Maine upset UNH at the CCCC in the 2017 playoffs, Coach Vachon told reporters she had told her team not to worry about Kristen Anderson and the other three-point shooters from UNH. They would get a few buckets but if Maine kept the screws on UNH's bigs, Maine would win. It did and it did. Anderson hit a couple of treys but Maine stunned UNH. Something similar yesterday with Kyara Frames, Albany's pint-sized point guard. She had 20, but was only 2-9 on threes. As PG, she was outplayed by Dor. Frames had three turnovers and one assist. Dor had one TO and five assists. A key, though, was that Frames seemed to feel she had to do it all herself when Albany fell behind, and her teammates did a bit of standing around in the third and fourth quarters while Frames dribbled and dribbled looking for an opening. Wonder if Vachon told the Maine kids to ease up on Frames while they tightened up on the bigs.

How often will a team shoot 30.5 percent and win? Another kudo to Coach Vachon and to the kids who just seem to find a way to win.

Much as I dislike the Pit, the atmosphere yesterday was terrific. I didn't notice that the crowd was any younger, but there must be no sound-proofing in the walls and ceiling there. It was electric. Guy next to me and I had to repeat most of what we said to each other because of the noise. Terrific article, including some strong research, in the Morning Sentinel today by Travis Lazarczyk about the Pit and the crowd. Sun Journal picked up that piece and ran it as a sidebar to PPH game story. Well worth reading.

UNH coach said she was happy she won't have to play against Tanesha again. Maine won't have to play against Forster, Kantzy or Canada, each 6-2, again. All are good shooters. Remember the first Albany game this year? Kantzy went 4-6 on threes, finished the year 6-8 on threes against Maine, though some of those were late in the fourth when the issue was largely settled. Albany may have a different look next year, with those three gone. It may more resemble its teams of the early 2010s, with more agility and speed up and down the lineup.

Maine will likely stay near 57th in overall RPI. Warren Nolan has Maine at 30th in non-conference strength of schedule. That figure can loom large when the NCAA committee meets. Hartford is 102nd overall and is 111th in non-conference SoS. Maine is 47th in non-conference RPI, Hartford is 139th. Maine's record against the top 100 has dropped to 4-5 as Northeastern and Fordham, which has won its conference tournament, have moved into the top 100. Hartford is 2-7 against the top 100.

Two wishes for Friday. Maine wins and the crowd goes wild. Lots of space in the CIC to absorb sound, so it will never reverberate like the Pit, but a loud crowd will help.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby CoachA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Bob Neal..aka turkeyman...great information per usual. You are one of those on here who know what you're talking about and always give great input. I agree with you 100% as the two best bench coaches in the conference in Mullen and Vachon. The Maine coach's half-time adjustments are always right on and the team executes it all so well. Mullen's game plan was excellent...and the Albany bigs almost pulled it off except for Vachon's defensive adjustments at the half. There were so many mismatches that Albany did not take advantage of though. And although Frames is good she concentrated too much on the dribble drive instead of getting the ball to the mismatches. When you've got 6'3" and 6'2" on the block against 5'10" you've got to go inside. But then again Maine's 5'10"'s all play bigger so their defense was making it difficult to recognize the mismatches. Should be a great game with the Hawks! Go Black Bears!
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:09 pm

CoachA wrote:Bob Neal..aka turkeyman...great information per usual. You are one of those on here who know what you're talking about and always give great input. I agree with you 100% as the two best bench coaches in the conference in Mullen and Vachon. The Maine coach's half-time adjustments are always right on and the team executes it all so well. Mullen's game plan was excellent...and the Albany bigs almost pulled it off except for Vachon's defensive adjustments at the half. There were so many mismatches that Albany did not take advantage of though. And although Frames is good she concentrated too much on the dribble drive instead of getting the ball to the mismatches. When you've got 6'3" and 6'2" on the block against 5'10" you've got to go inside. But then again Maine's 5'10"'s all play bigger so their defense was making it difficult to recognize the mismatches. Should be a great game with the Hawks! Go Black Bears!

"CoachA": Agree 100% about Albany not adjusting to Maine's defenses adjustments of doubling down to double team the block. Poor floor spacing made it very easy to Maine to double team. Only one of the three Albany BIGS knew how to seal, show where she wanted the ball and knew what to do with it properly when she got it. Not only did Albany not take advantage of the BIGS mismatches, but with Saar guarding Frames was a good matchup to post up on the block as being the same height is an advantage to the offensive player.

However, on Maine's side even though she had a big scoring game, Sutton at 5'10" is still the best post up player in the conference did not post up on the block either.

However, Vachon again out coaches a fellow AE coach just as she has done all season long in the conference schedule and the 2 tourney games so far and certainly is more than well deserving for her consecutive America East Coach of the Year award.

If Mullen is the second best coach in the conference then that does' n't say a lot for the other coaches except Coach Vachon.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks for a great recap, Mr. Neal. A few comments:

1)
turkeyman wrote:As much as I respect other AE coaches such as Kim McNeil at Hartford and Alisa Kresge at UVM (interim), yesterday may have matched the two best bench coaches in Coach Vachon and Colleen Mullen of Albany. Advantage: Vachon.

Mullen came in with a good game plan, to pack the inside with the bigs, to deny Maine the open three and to be physical at all times. It worked for a bit more than a quarter. When Maine's shots started dropping (at least a bit better than the 25 percent of the first quarter) and its defense tightened, Albany didn't respond well. From the time it had been 21-9, Maine outscored Albany 57-30.

Completely agree with all of this, including the argument that this featured the two best bench coaches in the America East. Strictly in terms of atmosphere/fan noise, this was as much of a home court advantage as I have witnessed within the America East in the past five years. Despite this and comparatively fewer offensive weapons than Maine, Mullen put together an excellent game plan that her team executed to near perfection in the first quarter. Most people knew that Maine would make a run, and even once that happened in the second quarter, the Great Danes were still able to keep pace with Maine for most of the contest. Parise's three late in the fourth quarter to give Maine a 10-point lead was the first time I felt the game was no longer in doubt.

A bit of an aside, but thought I would share this interesting article from the NY Times about Mullen's backstory: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/sports/lauren-mullen-albany-colleen.html

2)
turkeyman wrote:Man, it helps to have Tanesha on your side. What a performance.

My goodness, you can say that again! I have run out of adjectives to describe her work ethic, performance, and leadership, but wow, she has really stepped up her game over the past few weeks (not that she was a slouch before by any stretch!). I loved the raw emotion she showed a few times yesterday, particularly after converting the "and-1" early in the fourth quarter.

3)
turkeyman wrote:How often will a team shoot 30.5 percent and win? Another kudo to Coach Vachon and to the kids who just seem to find a way to win.

An interesting stat called true shooting percentage takes into account all shooting attempts, including free throws. Maine's true shooting percentages in the last 10 games have been: 59%, 53%, 46%, 64%, 50%, 56%, 48%, 46%, 47% (all the missed layups vs. UNH), and 47% (yesterday's Albany game). This helps show that the 24-26 performance from the foul line was a major factor in combating Maine's extremely poor FG shooting.

4)
turkeyman wrote:Much as I dislike the Pit, the atmosphere yesterday was terrific. I didn't notice that the crowd was any younger, but there must be no sound-proofing in the walls and ceiling there. It was electric. Guy next to me and I had to repeat most of what we said to each other because of the noise.

Of all of the games I have attended over the past five years, the only game whose atmosphere rivaled this was last year's regular season finale against Albany - it was an absolute blast taking in a playoff game at the Pit!

5)
bcbc55 wrote:Not only did Albany not take advantage of the BIGS mismatches, but with Saar guarding Frames was a good matchup to post up on the block as being the same height is an advantage to the offensive player.

What?! Frames is listed at 5'2" and Saar is listed as 5'6". Now, I know heights listed on rosters can be dubious, but even if they are the same height, I don't think post moves on the block are within Frames' repertoire. Frames played to her strengths yesterday, dribble penetration (very successful) and knocking down the 3 (less successful on 2-9 shooting); overall she ended up with 20 points on 9-20 shooting... not a bad afternoon.
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 am

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Thanks for a great recap, Mr. Neal. A few comments:

1)
turkeyman wrote:As much as I respect other AE coaches such as Kim McNeil at Hartford and Alisa Kresge at UVM (interim), yesterday may have matched the two best bench coaches in Coach Vachon and Colleen Mullen of Albany. Advantage: Vachon.

Completely agree with all of this, including the argument that this featured the two best bench coaches in the America East. Strictly in terms of atmosphere/fan noise, this was as much of a home court advantage as I have witnessed within the America East in the past five years. Despite this and comparatively fewer offensive weapons than Maine, Mullen put together an excellent game plan that her team executed to near perfection in the first quarter. Most people knew that Maine would make a run, and even once that happened in the second quarter, the Great Danes were still able to keep pace with Maine for most of the contest. Parise's three late in the fourth quarter to give Maine a 10-point lead was the first time I felt the game was no longer in doubt.

A bit of an aside, but thought I would share this interesting article from the NY Times about Mullen's backstory: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/sports/lauren-mullen-albany-colleen.html

2)
turkeyman wrote:Man, it helps to have Tanesha on your side. What a performance.

My goodness, you can say that again! I have run out of adjectives to describe her work ethic, performance, and leadership, but wow, she has really stepped up her game over the past few weeks (not that she was a slouch before by any stretch!). I loved the raw emotion she showed a few times yesterday, particularly after converting the "and-1" early in the fourth quarter.

3)
turkeyman wrote:How often will a team shoot 30.5 percent and win? Another kudo to Coach Vachon and to the kids who just seem to find a way to win.

An interesting stat called true shooting percentage takes into account all shooting attempts, including free throws. Maine's true shooting percentages in the last 10 games have been: 59%, 53%, 46%, 64%, 50%, 56%, 48%, 46%, 47% (all the missed layups vs. UNH), and 47% (yesterday's Albany game). This helps show that the 24-26 performance from the foul line was a major factor in combating Maine's extremely poor FG shooting.

4)
turkeyman wrote:Much as I dislike the Pit, the atmosphere yesterday was terrific. I didn't notice that the crowd was any younger, but there must be no sound-proofing in the walls and ceiling there. It was electric. Guy next to me and I had to repeat most of what we said to each other because of the noise.

Of all of the games I have attended over the past five years, the only game whose atmosphere rivaled this was last year's regular season finale against Albany - it was an absolute blast taking in a playoff game at the Pit!

5)
bcbc55 wrote:Not only did Albany not take advantage of the BIGS mismatches, but with Saar guarding Frames was a good matchup to post up on the block as being the same height is an advantage to the offensive player.

What?! Frames is listed at 5'2" and Saar is listed as 5'6". Now, I know heights listed on rosters can be dubious, but even if they are the same height, I don't think post moves on the block are within Frames' repertoire. Frames played to her strengths yesterday, dribble penetration (very successful) and knocking down the 3 (less successful on 2-9 shooting); overall she ended up with 20 points on 9-20 shooting... not a bad afternoon.

"BasketballFan99". Of course Saar or Frame do not have post up skills because they have not been taught them. All players should have the basic post up skills.

How to seal your defender depending of the 4 different ways you can be defended one on one on the block.

They should be able to know how to show the passer where they want the ball depending on how they are being defended by one of the 4 ways.

They should know how to signal when they want the ball.

They should know what to do if they are being fronted so that they will not be called for a push off foul.

They should know what to do if they are being denied from a side.

They should know what to do if they are being played from behind.

They should know how to shoot the power layup correctly on the block.

They should know how to ball fake, head fake, combine both and go immediately after getting the ball

They should know the 3 second rule that it allows players in the paint that receive the ball before they are called for 3 sec. violation have an additional time to try for a basket so long as they are going to try to score by moving to the basket usually another 3 seconds if they are trying to go to the basket or trying to score by using head fakes, ball fakes or combo of or doing either head or ball fake a coupler of times in a row

They should know that if they pass the ball out to a teammate or dribble out of the lane then it is a 3 second violation

Heck, the Bigs on most teams at middle school. high school or college basketball do not know how to post up correctly. Albany's bigs and Maine's best skilled post up player Tanesha Sutton at 5'10" who has the best player's power layup on the block in the AE women's conference does not know these either and it doesn't make any difference as Maine never posts her up directly on the block to go one one one or to force a double team to open up for an open 3 for a teammate anyway.

If by any chance any team that knows all this above still may foul it up by not having a well spaced out floor setup to make it very hard to double down to double team the player on the block before or after they get the ball. They do not use a floor spacing set up that makes the defense to pay a big price for either and open 3 or open layup if they double team the player on the block.

The inside post up on the block game is becoming extinct like dinosaurs.

After watching all of Maine's women's games not one of Maine's AE opponents ever, ever, ever tried to post up Saar on the block and Maine never started Sutton directly on either of the blocks by design. She gets her power layups and gets into the line for power layups because she goes to the offensive boards and takes the ball to the block off the dribble so well.

Liked your true shooting percentage for 2's, 3's and foul shots combined. No question Maine saved the Albany game from the foul line.

Taking all shot attempts combined and dividing them into all the baskets made is a very great idea to determine overall shooting skills or take the 3 percentages for each and divide by 3 is a very interesting concept.

Another 3 point stat you never see is the percentage of FGA's as 3 point shots by dividing the total FGA's into the number of 3 pointers attempted.

Really enjoyed your post.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics