Baseball 2019

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Baseball @ Mississippi St

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:23 am

If Maine were to rework their athletic program based purely on common sense and future program viability....

Drop men's & women's ice hockey

Drop baseball

Add men's soccer

Add men's & women's lacrosse
mainejeff

Postby bulldog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am

If Maine were to rework their athletic program based purely on common sense and future program viability....
[/quote]

Don't advocate dropping any program, but common sense and viability would lead me to drop football...and that is only for cost purposes. I really believe that sport, as well as other programs...theater, art etc, are important to a university's culture.
bulldog

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Football is the most popular sport on campus and has proven that it can win at this level. It also gets more attention playing FBS programs. And it has won on a shoestring budget (compared to its peers). If ex-players would stop committing crimes, murdering, etc once they leave UM.....it would help the overall reputation of the program.
mainejeff

Postby bulldog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Bam...were you at the Mississippi State games yesterday? If so, how was the atmosphere?
bulldog

Postby BBOCFAN » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 pm

I feel the same as many of you and would like to see them doing better. I'm sure they would too. Mainejeff makes a good point. It comes down to attracting high level talent. I don't mean this to be disrespectful to any players. They need to reach beyond greater Bangor area for pitchers. I know Bangor has done well in high school baseball. However, that doesn't equate to high D1 level players. As a comparison, TA has it going on with football. That doesn't mean those kids are D1 level players. One game that put it into perspective for me was the Maryland game the kid from York pitched and won against Maine. He is a decent pitcher, but I'd be surprised if one of the top in their rotation. He would blend in with the group of pitchers from Maine. Maine needs to find teams consistent with their level. I recognize the kids close proximity to school are easy decisions because they are most likely going there anyways. Money is the catch 22. It will cost money to get top level players to compete in the schedule they currently have. Money doesn't come easy. Until / if it does, find common teams to play against. Everyone would feel better. A national title would be great, but I think many would be excited being competitive with potential for more.
BBOCFAN

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm

dunbar wrote:
bulldog wrote:
augie wrote: Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????

Cut basketball first...no history in that program.

Men's basketball is the one sport that one must offer to be Division I.

"dunbar": Again for the umpteenth time, thank you.

P.S. Maine would not have had the success in baseball back in Winkin's time if the regional tournaments were held like they are and not just teams from the northeast like it was when Maine's baseball was going to the "College World Series".
bcbc55

Postby augie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm

bulldog wrote:
augie wrote: Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????

Cut basketball first...no history in that program.

Augie didn’t write this. Work on your copy and paste skills please.
augie

Postby thebam » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

bulldog wrote:Bam...were you at the Mississippi State games yesterday? If so, how was the atmosphere?

I was scheduled to go, but came down with the flu on Tuesday so didn't make it.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:32 pm

0-13. :|

When do we play UMPI or UM-Farmington? :oops:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm

mainejeff wrote:0-13. :|

When do we play UMPI or UM-Farmington? :oops:

MJ: Or UMaine@Machias like in Men's BB. 20% of their 5 wins.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics