Baseball 2019

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Baseball 2019

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 am

yet another big time formidable challenge for the Black Bears. Weather looks crapola. Saturday's game has already been moved to Friday as part of a DH starting at 3pm Central time. Game 3 scheduled for Sunday. Games will be broadcast on the SEC Network platform.
Mississippi St. is 12-1 and currently ranked 54th in the RPI .
Maine is currently , despite being 0-10 , 190th in RPI.

Doesn't appear to get easier . Next 3 opponents:
Samford RPI 31
Alabama RPI 49
Troy RPI 36

The numbers obviously don't lie, and I make no excuses. The walks are an issue and the team batting average is nowhere near where I thought it would be , but this schedule is positively brutal.
Time will tell if it pays off as the Conference schedule gets underway very soon. I still have a lot of hope for this team this year , especially is Courtney can make a triumphant return. Would like to see improvement on the above 2 statistical categories this weekend. America East is a 1 bid league so the W/L record really doesn't mean crap until conference games begin.
thebam

Re: Baseball @ Mississippi St

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

W/L and RPI absolutely mean something. Better recruits want to play for better teams. Fans want to see winning teams not losing ones. Donors hate throwing their money at “losers”. For the future health of this program...I hope that Derba can start turning things around.
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm

mainejeff wrote:W/L and RPI absolutely mean something. Better recruits want to play for better teams. Fans want to see winning teams not losing ones. Donors hate throwing their money at “losers”. For the future health of this program...I hope that Derba can start turning things around.

I hear ya.. I may have overstated that about the W/L. My context was merely regarding making post season play as it relates to the non conference W/L. 0-10 is certainly not ideal, we agree on that.
thebam

Postby fromthebench » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:40 pm

I think they should hold an open tryout for pitchers on campus. What they got ain't cutting it!
fromthebench

Postby augie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 pm

0-12. You can’t sugar coat or receive any moral victories from a team that starts a season this way.
Last edited by augie on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:01 pm

augie wrote:0-12. You can sugar coat or get moral victories from this record and this team.

"augie": Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????
bcbc55

Postby augie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
augie wrote:0-12. You can sugar coat or get moral victories from this record and this team.

"augie": Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????

And UNH and BU too. But with that said it shouldn’t happen at Maine. At least I hope the heck not.

I understand the benefits of playing a tough non conference schedule however it would be nice to see a few winnable games early on. I know Maine has lost a few close games however not having a win IS frustrating after this many games.
augie

Postby thebam » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 am

bcbc55 wrote:

So that's your answer to a struggling start to the season? Cut the program? Great insight. Laughable at best.
thebam

Postby bulldog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 am

augie wrote: Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????

Cut basketball first...no history in that program.
bulldog

Postby dunbar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:36 am

bulldog wrote:
augie wrote: Maybe it's time to do what Vermont did with baseball years ago????????????????????????????????????

Cut basketball first...no history in that program.

Men's basketball is the one sport that one must offer to be Division I.
dunbar

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics