Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:before judging any new coach, you really have to give them 3 to 4 years to get some of own guys in program....

Sometimes you have to get worse to get better...it was nice article on ESPN that involved Barron, but also would like to see that type of article after 2 or 3 years and not after a year they won 4 division 1 games....

But when he took over the womens program i think they also got worse in first year and then righted the ship...

It can work the opposite way too, some coaches come in and win with the previous coaches players and then gets tons of credit and then once those players are graduate and they start recruiting their own they suddenly arent as good of a coach

"W": It took Barron 3 years to right the women's ship he was 4 and 6 wins the first two seasons and then righted the ship to 17-15 the third year and then followed with 2 two year win seasons. Give him the three years to see if he can do with the men what he did with the women and get to over .50, if he doesn't he still has 2 more years of the 5 year contract that he got from Creech.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Linguist: In re-reading your original post of "Rampant Unfounded Speculation". maybe the reason that Antoms got 21 minutes is because Eze was in foul trouble and only played 10 minutes and when Eze did get back in he fouled out almost immediately.

If Barron is waiting for some to leave by transferring if he doesn't get in JUCO's and they are other D-1 transfers they have to sit out a season.

How many good players that are eligible immediately at this late recruiting date, unless directly coming as international recruits or JUCO's?

Still have not good an adequate BIG 6'10" 250LB yet either. Even if the BIG is a project. Mik Antoms at 6'9" 245lb highlight films from Lee Academy thought he might be that project, but it is hard to improve without getting minutes and he got less minutes this year I believe then he did last year.

Look how much Eze improved this year when he got the minutes to improve. Big difference from game improvement from practice improvement. Some can do it and others actually need those actual game minutes and at least Antoms when he got 21 minutes against UNH showed some improvement with more playing time.

You were correct that Antoms got left behind by Barron this year.

Still liked how you evaluated the UMaine men's program in this thread. Some really good points made. Better percentage of correct possibilities then the UMaine men's foul shooting % of 64.5% for the season and their 3 point shooting percentage of 30.7%.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:58 pm

PPH article today has a 180 take than most in this post. I will take the kids quotes and wish Baron the best moving forward.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:PPH article today has a 180 take than most in this post. I will take the kids quotes and wish Baron the best moving forward.

"EE": We must be the only ones posting this afternoon here on MBR.

Agree with your post that the posts on this thread have been more negative then positive.

I haven't read the article in the PPH.

But, I'll take the results this season that I have seen with my own eyes so far and wish Barron the best moving forward that he is 17-15 by the end of his third season like he was with the women at the end of three years.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Linguist wrote:Okay I thought it was weird when Richard Barron opted to primarily play his seniors in the final home game against Binghamton. (Even though they controlled their own playoff destiny and a win sealed a trip to the quarterfinals). I wondered if it could have been an effort to tank and miss the playoffs and avoid going to Burlington to get boat raced by the Catamounts. {because we all know that is the only possible result} But a somewhat logical or rational argument could be crafted to say Barron was just rewarding his seniors with extended minutes with their friends and family on hand as a thank you for suffering through four bad seasons.

Then the regular season finale happened, and instead of playing the most talented members of the roster in an effort to prepare for the quarterfinals an interesting thing happened that made me question Barron's sanity.

Miks Antoms played 21 minutes. He averages 7.4 minutes per game. He took 6 shots and scored 9 points. His season high in minutes before that was 17 against UMaine Machias and UMass Lowell (2nd meeting).

Okay so maybe Barron is trying to see what he has for players returning in 2019-2020, and who can actually play with some extended minutes, but when Miks is getting 21 minutes of run, a wire is crossed somewhere.

I now think there will be mass defections off this team in the offseason.

We know : Ilija Stojiljkovic Celio Araujo have used all of their eligibility.

We expect : Vincent Eze, Dennis Ashley to transfer as graduate students and have one year of eligibility at their next school.

I can extrapolate : Isaiah White will also leave as a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. The reason is he's been in Barron's doghouse and saw his minutes get trimmed, and him sent to the bench, and then he played with the 4 listed above for the majority of senior day.

I can speculate : Vilgott Larsson transfers. He has been benched at the end of the season for seemingly no reason, and it appears he's not in the plans for Barron moving forward.

I can speculate : Miks Antoms transfers. He just isn't good enough to play at this level, and Barron buried him on the bench all season.

I fear : Sergio El Darwich transfers (or turns pro). He was also benched at the end of the year for no real reason. I'm not sure if he has eligibility remaining to transfer, if he does he will, if not I expect he turns pro and heads back to Europe or Lebanon to play next year.

Perhaps Lewis Wang decides to walk off. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't no one will lose sleep either way.

I think Fleming and Moss are back.

Yagodin and Iluyomade I expect they will return from their injuries, although I don't remember seeing Yagodin at the last home game.

I have no reason to not believe Ingo, Pirjovic will not suit up after sitting out a red shirt and transfer year. I think Begic will be in uniform as well.

I can't imagine we won't see Barron's three recruits show up : Veljko Radaković, Peter 'Peppe' Stümer, and Ja'Shonté Wright-McLeish.

So that is 10 players, 9 scholarship, 1 walk on. Let's say for fun Wang stays making it 2 walk ons. I wonder if Barron has some players he is ready to offer as soon as he gets some kids to transfer.

Eze - gone
Ashley - gone
White - gone
Wang - gone?
Just waiting on Antoms, Larsson and El Darwich
Linguist

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Word is Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman have recruited replacements for all leaving.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Linguist wrote:
Linguist wrote:Okay I thought it was weird when Richard Barron opted to primarily play his seniors in the final home game against Binghamton. (Even though they controlled their own playoff destiny and a win sealed a trip to the quarterfinals). I wondered if it could have been an effort to tank and miss the playoffs and avoid going to Burlington to get boat raced by the Catamounts. {because we all know that is the only possible result} But a somewhat logical or rational argument could be crafted to say Barron was just rewarding his seniors with extended minutes with their friends and family on hand as a thank you for suffering through four bad seasons.

Then the regular season finale happened, and instead of playing the most talented members of the roster in an effort to prepare for the quarterfinals an interesting thing happened that made me question Barron's sanity.

Miks Antoms played 21 minutes. He averages 7.4 minutes per game. He took 6 shots and scored 9 points. His season high in minutes before that was 17 against UMaine Machias and UMass Lowell (2nd meeting).

Okay so maybe Barron is trying to see what he has for players returning in 2019-2020, and who can actually play with some extended minutes, but when Miks is getting 21 minutes of run, a wire is crossed somewhere.

I now think there will be mass defections off this team in the offseason.

We know : Ilija Stojiljkovic Celio Araujo have used all of their eligibility.

We expect : Vincent Eze, Dennis Ashley to transfer as graduate students and have one year of eligibility at their next school.

I can extrapolate : Isaiah White will also leave as a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. The reason is he's been in Barron's doghouse and saw his minutes get trimmed, and him sent to the bench, and then he played with the 4 listed above for the majority of senior day.

I can speculate : Vilgott Larsson transfers. He has been benched at the end of the season for seemingly no reason, and it appears he's not in the plans for Barron moving forward.

I can speculate : Miks Antoms transfers. He just isn't good enough to play at this level, and Barron buried him on the bench all season.

I fear : Sergio El Darwich transfers (or turns pro). He was also benched at the end of the year for no real reason. I'm not sure if he has eligibility remaining to transfer, if he does he will, if not I expect he turns pro and heads back to Europe or Lebanon to play next year.

Perhaps Lewis Wang decides to walk off. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't no one will lose sleep either way.

I think Fleming and Moss are back.

Yagodin and Iluyomade I expect they will return from their injuries, although I don't remember seeing Yagodin at the last home game.

I have no reason to not believe Ingo, Pirjovic will not suit up after sitting out a red shirt and transfer year. I think Begic will be in uniform as well.

I can't imagine we won't see Barron's three recruits show up : Veljko Radaković, Peter 'Peppe' Stümer, and Ja'Shonté Wright-McLeish.

So that is 10 players, 9 scholarship, 1 walk on. Let's say for fun Wang stays making it 2 walk ons. I wonder if Barron has some players he is ready to offer as soon as he gets some kids to transfer.

Eze - gone
Ashley - gone
White - gone
Wang - gone?
Just waiting on Antoms, Larsson and El Darwich

"L": Probably have to be JUCO's, internationals, incoming freshmen or grad transfers so they could be eligible immediately.

Pretty late to be getting players from stateside. Can't be much out there now.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am

BCBC55, addressed this on another tread. There are still a lot of legit D1 players left for the spring period.

Sure the 5 star blue chip future NBA guys are gone, so are some of the other high major players, but the spring period still has a number of talented players remaining.

The Power 5 gets the fall period players, now America East signs kids.
Linguist

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am

by ExpoEddie » 14 Mar 2019 22:43
Word is Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman have recruited replacements for all leaving.

I love this post.... :lol: Its great....
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Linguist wrote:BCBC55, addressed this on another tread. There are still a lot of legit D1 players left for the spring period.

Sure the 5 star blue chip future NBA guys are gone, so are some of the other high major players, but the spring period still has a number of talented players remaining.

The Power 5 gets the fall period players, now America East signs kids.

"L": Yes, but how many are 6'9" 250lb or bigger? That is what Maine needs? Anyone Maine gets tnat size plus is probably going to be a project and I don't see from what I saw this year that on the development of Eze or Antoms that that is a real possibility.

Missed the boat on Trevor Irish the 7 footer from Lewiston, Maine who is going to Long Beach and he would have been an eligible JUCO junior for next season.

That is why I would go after Hartel and take a chance if he went to prep school and if needed red shirt his freshmen year. I think he is a raw talent who just has not been developed enough or used enough properly on the block.

Just my opinion.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics