Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Some kids don’t like to hear harsh truths. Coach Barron may come across as a jerk, with an occasional sideline blow up on a player who made a mental mistake, but behind the scenes is a man who actually cares. He’s pulled player x from the game for a reason. It’s a teaching moment. In a winning culture, there’s accountability. If you screw up or don’t come ready to play, it’s next man up. It’s not all roses when you’re 5-24. I’m just happy Maine has a Coach who pushes his guys and expects more. Remember Ted Woodward? 3-13 or 6-10 in the conference shouldn’t be acceptable. The players should be mad about it and want to get better. I have no problem with Richard Barron & his coaching style. The man just needs a few more horses and he will get Maine winning some of these close losses.

"BZ": Agree with most of your post as usual. However, being a former coach and athletic director for many years I believe it is the Athletic Directors job and responsibility to tell coaches not to go after players in public like in games or in the media. That is for private in practice or individual one on one situations.

Coaches should follow the John Wooden's statement that "A COACHES BEST FRIEND IS THE BENCH ", he should have included "The Wooden" Bench.

The one thing that gets players attention and is effective is reduced playing time so long as the player is told why it is happening in a game.

Always had a player I took out for poor plays sit beside my assistant coach to get the reason he was being taken out.

First the assistant coach would ask the player taken out if he knew why he was being taken out and if the player didn't know then the coach told him why.

Reasonable communication is the more positive way to go instead of yelling or going after players negatively especially in public.

If coaches yell at players while players are on the floor they usually tune coaches out if they don't take them out of the game. The way to get their attention is using the "Wooden Rule" and then a reasonable calm explanation why the player was removed from the game if it is for poor play or not following coaches instructions.

A couple of posters here said that sitting behind the UMaine men's bench lately the players are getting an earful when coming off the floor to the bench. Not good. Too negative if that is happening.

Barron was in a better position then any new incoming coach would have been because he should have been aware of what he had for material returning and what to expect from them. By the middle of the season he should have been aware what the new recruits were capable off too.

Granted having to red shirt Yagodin and Iluyomade for injuries and also red shirting Ingo and having Prijovic have to sit out because of transferring did not help overall and then Fleming getting hurt, but that is the way it goes sometimes and becoming frustrated by the whole situation does not help to keep things trying to go forward positively and is a good way to lose players as Linguist suggests via the transfer route.

Even if that happens and you get more scholarships available it is very late for new signings and then you don't actually know what you have until at least until mid season of next year for any late pickups now.

Also, I think that the international players are less apt to transfer. So really there are only 4 American players on the roster, they are Fleming, Moss, Ashley and White and you could lose White and Ashley to transfers because if they are grad seniors would be eligible immediately for next season.

Just my opinions. John Wooden's coaches best friend, the bench is the answer to getting players to do what you want them to so long as the players know why the coach is using the bench in each individual players case.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 pm

GoBlackBears wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
GoBlackBears wrote:Can't blame anyone who wants to transfer away from that jerk.

Please explain.

Do you want to go back to Bob Walsh? The players loved him.....they ran roughshod over him. They also transferred.

Going off on bench players when up 30 in a game against clemson. Those kids didn't play much so big deal they made a couple mistakes. No reason to be like that.

Are you talking about when he was coaching the women's team many years ago before his brain surgery? :?

Good grief......can we live in the present day.....just for once on this board? :roll:
mainejeff

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Remember your posts that rip Coach Baron. Word I get from coaches up at Maine that he is in fact righting the ship. He is in charge. Granted it has been since last Fall that I spoke to Vincent, but getting his Master's at Maine was the plan. He is very close with a couple of professors. She got him an internship? research grant? in the past.
ExpoEddie

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Barron isn't righting ship. This team will be just as bad next year and probably the year after that. Might be time for Barron to pack up his ship and sail away.
mario_spaghettio

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:59 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:Barron isn't righting ship. This team will be just as bad next year and probably the year after that. Might be time for Barron to pack up his ship and sail away.

"MS": With the past AD giving him a 5 year contract, I don't think so. Also, disappointed that Maine didn't have a national search and then if the current head coach was the most qualified candidate then fine.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Really BCBC55?
Again with the National Search garbage?
Aren't you the one who wanted Doug Leichner to be promoted as interim coach without a national search?
And the last national search we had resulted in Bob Walsh getting the job.

Nah I am good with what we have and how it happened.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Linguist wrote:Really BCBC55?
Again with the National Search garbage?
Aren't you the one who wanted Doug Leichner to be promoted as interim coach without a national search?
And the last national search we had resulted in Bob Walsh getting the job.

Nah I am good with what we have and how it happened.

"Linguist": You are correct I wanted Doug Leichner, but as only as an interim coach and then a national search and if
Doug was the best candidate then hire him. I felt the same for Barron. However, Walsh's hire was a very late hire in May that is why it made sense to hire Doug on an interim basis, and then go National search the next April and Barron's hire was a lot earlier by an AD who was leaving and had to find a job for Barron after Barron said he didn't want to go back to the woman's job.

The ESPN article on Barron posted today said that Creech asked Barron if he was interested in the Men's basketball job and he hired him and gave him a 5 year contract. That was taken from the ESPN article posted today about Barron.

Also Doug Leichner was the first Maine basketball coach to after international players and that was before Barron

However, I liked the title of this thread and it was very well written and took in all the scenarios that could possibly take place.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm

National searches get us ladder climbers and out the door if successful. Coach did not say he did not want to go back to the girls program. Being a class act, he kept Amy in place. Her quote sells me on Baron being successful. The football program keeps going by Cosgrove getting his guys promoted, they in turn pass it on. Cosgrove has a legacy of maybe promoting versus searches? From a player perspective, Fleming's comments send a very positive vibe.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:20 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:National searches get us ladder climbers and out the door if successful. Coach did not say he did not want to go back to the girls program. Being a class act, he kept Amy in place. Her quote sells me on Baron being successful. The football program keeps going by Cosgrove getting his guys promoted, they in turn pass it on. Cosgrove has a legacy of maybe promoting versus searches? From a player perspective, Fleming's comments send a very positive vibe.

ExpoEddie: I realize that Maine is a stepping stone for all out of state hires at IUMaine in any position. But I didn't say hire from the national search I meant compare and if Maine thought Leichner like Barron was the best choice after a national search then hire them both, it gives them more credibility then just pushing them up the ladder. You don't have to worry about them leaving because they are successful since Dr. G was the last winning record Maine men's basketball coach to move on and that was 14 plus years ago..

Maybe Barron is a Class act or maybe Vachon did in one year what he couldn't do in 6 years get to the NCAA Tourney.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 pm

before judging any new coach, you really have to give them 3 to 4 years to get some of own guys in program....

Sometimes you have to get worse to get better...it was nice article on ESPN that involved Barron, but also would like to see that type of article after 2 or 3 years and not after a year they won 4 division 1 games....

But when he took over the womens program i think they also got worse in first year and then righted the ship...

It can work the opposite way too, some coaches come in and win with the previous coaches players and then gets tons of credit and then once those players are graduate and they start recruiting their own they suddenly arent as good of a coach
wmtwsportsprod

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics