Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Postby Linguist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 am

Okay I thought it was weird when Richard Barron opted to primarily play his seniors in the final home game against Binghamton. (Even though they controlled their own playoff destiny and a win sealed a trip to the quarterfinals). I wondered if it could have been an effort to tank and miss the playoffs and avoid going to Burlington to get boat raced by the Catamounts. {because we all know that is the only possible result} But a somewhat logical or rational argument could be crafted to say Barron was just rewarding his seniors with extended minutes with their friends and family on hand as a thank you for suffering through four bad seasons.

Then the regular season finale happened, and instead of playing the most talented members of the roster in an effort to prepare for the quarterfinals an interesting thing happened that made me question Barron's sanity.

Miks Antoms played 21 minutes. He averages 7.4 minutes per game. He took 6 shots and scored 9 points. His season high in minutes before that was 17 against UMaine Machias and UMass Lowell (2nd meeting).

Okay so maybe Barron is trying to see what he has for players returning in 2019-2020, and who can actually play with some extended minutes, but when Miks is getting 21 minutes of run, a wire is crossed somewhere.

I now think there will be mass defections off this team in the offseason.

We know : Ilija Stojiljkovic Celio Araujo have used all of their eligibility.

We expect : Vincent Eze, Dennis Ashley to transfer as graduate students and have one year of eligibility at their next school.

I can extrapolate : Isaiah White will also leave as a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. The reason is he's been in Barron's doghouse and saw his minutes get trimmed, and him sent to the bench, and then he played with the 4 listed above for the majority of senior day.

I can speculate : Vilgott Larsson transfers. He has been benched at the end of the season for seemingly no reason, and it appears he's not in the plans for Barron moving forward.

I can speculate : Miks Antoms transfers. He just isn't good enough to play at this level, and Barron buried him on the bench all season.

I fear : Sergio El Darwich transfers (or turns pro). He was also benched at the end of the year for no real reason. I'm not sure if he has eligibility remaining to transfer, if he does he will, if not I expect he turns pro and heads back to Europe or Lebanon to play next year.

Perhaps Lewis Wang decides to walk off. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't no one will lose sleep either way.

I think Fleming and Moss are back.

Yagodin and Iluyomade I expect they will return from their injuries, although I don't remember seeing Yagodin at the last home game.

I have no reason to not believe Ingo, Pirjovic will not suit up after sitting out a red shirt and transfer year. I think Begic will be in uniform as well.

I can't imagine we won't see Barron's three recruits show up : Veljko Radaković, Peter 'Peppe' Stümer, and Ja'Shonté Wright-McLeish.

So that is 10 players, 9 scholarship, 1 walk on. Let's say for fun Wang stays making it 2 walk ons. I wonder if Barron has some players he is ready to offer as soon as he gets some kids to transfer.
Linguist

Re: Rampant Unfounded Speculation

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 am

Whatever happens.......this team is NOT good. I'm not losing sleep over anyone leaving.
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 am

I like Larsson (not as a starting small forward at 38 minutes a game, but as a second guy off the bench for 16-21 minutes a game is fine).
I like El Darwich, no guard in America East stopped him when he posted up, and he always works hard.

I would prefer Fleming leave than those two.
Linguist

Postby GoBlackBears » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:01 am

Can't blame anyone who wants to transfer away from *him*.
GoBlackBears

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am

GoBlackBears wrote:Can't blame anyone who wants to transfer away from *him*

Please explain.

Do you want to go back to Bob Walsh? The players loved him.....they ran roughshod over him. They also transferred.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 am

Linguist wrote:I like Larsson (not as a starting small forward at 38 minutes a game, but as a second guy off the bench for 16-21 minutes a game is fine).
I like El Darwich, no guard in America East stopped him when he posted up, and he always works hard.

I would prefer Fleming leave than those two.

Agreed.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am

I usually agree with you Linguist, but I’m not seeing major defections for 2019-20. Logic tells us Eze and Ashley are probably gone after they were honored as graduating seniors. 2 hard working players who fought through adversity just to make it on the court. I honestly thought Vincent might not play again after the major hip surgery. Ashley walked on to the team and didn’t play until some spot minutes in his 3rd year. He fell out of the rotation with Barron and then fought back to get minutes again.
As far as White, El Darwich, Larsson... I don’t see them leaving. Maybe I’m wrong?
Antoms actually showed these last 2 games,that he can offer something as a reserve on this team when called upon. He needs to get in better physical shape though. He was really winded after 15 minutes against UNH. I think he stays. If he does and makes a commitment to conditioning, he’s a decent back up post.
This team desperately needs shooting...like multiple shooters. I am hopeful that Yagodin can help with that, but gonna need 2 or 3 more that can stretch the floor. Maybe Stumer and McLeish can help as well? Interested to see what Prijovic can offer, as well as Iluymade.
Blind Zebra

Postby Linguist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 pm

GoBlackBears wrote:Can't blame anyone who wants to transfer away from that jerk.

Go on. Explain.
Linguist

Postby GoBlackBears » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm

mainejeff wrote:
GoBlackBears wrote:Can't blame anyone who wants to transfer away from that jerk.

Please explain.

Do you want to go back to Bob Walsh? The players loved him.....they ran roughshod over him. They also transferred.

Going off on bench players when up 30 in a game against clemson. Those kids didn't play much so big deal they made a couple mistakes. No reason to be like that.
GoBlackBears

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Some kids don’t like to hear harsh truths. Coach Barron may come across as a jerk, with an occasional sideline blow up on a player who made a mental mistake, but behind the scenes is a man who actually cares. He’s pulled player x from the game for a reason. It’s a teaching moment. In a winning culture, there’s accountability. If you screw up or don’t come ready to play, it’s next man up. It’s not all roses when you’re 5-24. I’m just happy Maine has a Coach who pushes his guys and expects more. Remember Ted Woodward? 3-13 or 6-10 in the conference shouldn’t be acceptable. The players should be mad about it and want to get better. I have no problem with Richard Barron & his coaching style. The man just needs a few more horses and he will get Maine winning some of these close losses.
Blind Zebra

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics