NCAA Women's Bracketology

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: NCAA Women's Bracketology

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm

dunbar wrote:I think Maine gets matched up with Maryland, even if that means Maine gets dropped to a 14. The precedent of moving teams up and down one seed line to accommodate regionalization always seems to hold.

There does seem to be some bizarre fetish out there to match up Maine and Maryland. :roll:

Not sure why Maine deserves one of the P5 Champs (the Terps won the Big Ten) and a Top 8 team when there are at least a dozen other teams out there with worse RPI rankings. :|
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:18 pm

mainejeff wrote:
dunbar wrote:I think Maine gets matched up with Maryland, even if that means Maine gets dropped to a 14. The precedent of moving teams up and down one seed line to accommodate regionalization always seems to hold.

There does seem to be some bizarre fetish out there to match up Maine and Maryland. :roll:

Not sure why Maine deserves one of the P5 Champs (the Terps won the Big Ten) and a Top 8 team when there are at least a dozen other teams out there with worse RPI rankings. :|

Maryland is inconsistent and beatable. Honestly, there are only a handful of teams out there this year that would seem "unbeatable" for Maine (think Notre Dame, Baylor, etc). I also felt like they should have beat Duke and that they would beat UNC. UNC is one of those teams that all the good mid-major teams want to schedule. While obviously athletic, they aren't very disciplined and that leads to them being beatable when they don't have the elite players.
parquetfloor

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Any chance Maine gets Syracuse in the Carrier Dome? That would seem like the logical location for Maine to go.
:D
basketball_guy

Postby CFJunior » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:45 am

basketball_guy wrote:Any chance Maine gets Syracuse in the Carrier Dome? That would seem like the logical location for Maine to go.
:D

I didn't think Syracuse women played their home games at the Carrier Dome? It would be weird playing basketball in a Dome that 3/4 empty.
CFJunior

Postby GoBlackBears » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am

Just make the tournament that's all that matters.
GoBlackBears

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:16 am

We may not know where Maine will play in the tournament (Assuming they are invited...foregone conclusion)
as AE Champion but we do know when they will be playing as AE Champion. According to this article it will be
on Friday March 15th. Also current seeds as of this time below.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-wo ... tournament

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-wo ... -16-reveal
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 am

basketball_guy wrote:We may not know where Maine will play in the tournament (Assuming they are invited...foregone conclusion)
as AE Champion but we do know when they will be playing as AE Champion. According to this article it will be

I might be understanding you wrong but this is not the schedule for the NCAA Tourney.

The NCAA still calls the league "AmericaN East". :oops: :oops: :oops: Hasn't this league been around for about 25 years now? :roll:
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 am

mainejeff wrote:
basketball_guy wrote:We may not know where Maine will play in the tournament (Assuming they are invited...foregone conclusion)

I might be understanding you wrong but this is not the schedule for the NCAA Tourney.

The NCAA still calls the league "AmericaN East". :oops: :oops: :oops: Hasn't this league been around for about 25 years now? :roll:

Try 1979-80, but the current name has been around since 1996-97. Your point still stands though: the NCAA got the name wrong and basketball_guy can't read.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Yea you misunderstood. AE stands for America East and no I was referring to the America East Championship game.
Obviously, no one knows at this point where they are headed until after March 18th. Even I have no crystal ball to determine that. At this point it is all speculation... :roll:
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 pm

If everyone is so sure that they are going to win the America East Tourney then why are the other 7 teams bothering to take part. Remember 16 seed UMBC men over a one seed Virginia. That is why we play the game. They are not played on paper or computers but on the hardwood. I don't think Maine or their fans should assume anything until the final whistle is sounded if they get to the championship game.

IN the one and done season the pressure is all on the number one seed and the ball seems to get bigger and the rim seems to get smaller in the win or go home season especially if teams "Live and Die by the three" which is not necessarily true about Maine as the women are taking just under 37.8% of their FGA as threes in conference play compared to 43.7^% in their non -conference games and reduction of 5,9% per game.

However, the Maine women seem to shoot better at the CIC then on the road and seeing that all 3 games if played will be at home at the CIC. Maybe the rims won't seem smaller and the ball bigger at home.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics