Game discussion: Maine Men Vs, UMBC 2/10/2019

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Game discussion: Maine Men Vs, UMBC 2/10/2019

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 am

Getting ready to head out to the game. Any pre-game thoughts out there. I think this game is a coin toss. If UMO can keep the turnovers down, get some boards and shoot well from the 3-point line they can win this game. But that is all If's.

GO! GO! UMO!

AB
Archer Bunker

Re: Game discussion: Maine Men Vs, UMBC 2/10/2019

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Final:
UMBC 67
UMO 66

Like I said before the game "A coin toss". I wasn't impressed with either team and I'm not trying to be negative but I did not see anyone with a good basketball IQ on the court. I do think however this will be a much better team next year and the year after. Would have loved to see a win today, but that did not happen. Pretty decent crowd on hand today, but not much else going on either.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 am

Archer Bunker wrote:Final:
UMBC 67
UMO 66

Like I said before the game "A coin toss". I wasn't impressed with either team and I'm not trying to be negative but I did not see anyone with a good basketball IQ on the court. I do think however this will be a much better team next year and the year after. Would have loved to see a win today, but that did not happen. Pretty decent crowd on hand today, but not much else going on either.

AB

"AB": Good post and I agree with it except that the year after current juniors Fleming, Darwich, White and Eze (may not be gone because of sitting out with injury) will be gone. Will the 4 players that did not play this year and the new 3 recruits for next year be able to replace the departees?

Agree, about BB IQ's not being what they should be for D-1 teams today. Darwich best IQ wise on the floor today but he is an off guard not a true point guard. Had 11 points and 10 of the 17 Maine assists today.

Agree, look like was one of the best men's crowd so far thus year.

Should have been a win today. Just like the Hartford, SB and first UMBC and Binghamton games were certainly winnable. Oh what could have been 7-3, 6-4, 5-5 or 4-6 instead of 3-7 in conference play
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 am

El Darwich had to play point guard because Terion Moss the starting point guard took an elbow to the head at UVM and missed the entire second half.

That would lead most to believe he has a concussion and is in some sort of NCAA medically mandated protocol on his timetable to return.

While El Darwich may be an off guard, him running the point is better than playing 4 on 5 because the person with PG next to their name on the roster is unavailable, so BCBC55 wants to make sure we don't play anyone out of position, so we're just going to run 4 out on to the floor if that is okay.

Goodness gracious that thought process is lunacy.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 am

bcbc55 wrote:"AB": Good post and I agree with it except that the year after current juniors Fleming, Darwich, White and Eze (may not be gone because of sitting out with injury) will be gone. Will the 4 players that did not play this year and the new 3 recruits for next year be able to replace the departees?

Good question. I REALLY wish that we had El Darwich for another couple of years after this. My opinion of him has totally changed from earlier in the season. He's a really heady tough player that Maine is going to miss after next season.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am

El Darwich has definitely increased his production in conference play. He’s Maine’s most efficient offensive player. I think he struggled with the athleticism of the guards he faced in non league play, but he does a nice job using his size in the America East. Nice post up and penetration game. Doesn’t settle for 3’s. His success also coincides with a move off the ball with Moss running the show.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Linguist wrote:El Darwich had to play point guard because Terion Moss the starting point guard took an elbow to the head at UVM and missed the entire second half.

That would lead most to believe he has a concussion and is in some sort of NCAA medically mandated protocol on his timetable to return.

While El Darwich may be an off guard, him running the point is better than playing 4 on 5 because the person with PG next to their name on the roster is unavailable, so BCBC55 wants to make sure we don't play anyone out of position, so we're just going to run 4 out on to the floor if that is okay.

Goodness gracious that thought process is lunacy.

"Linguist": Agree with playing Darwich at point guard. I didn't mean that not too. My bad, if it read that way. But that is OK I have been called a lunacy basketball person before.

Darwich at point is the best next option after Moss and sometimes he is the best first option at point if Maine want's more size on the floor as Darwich is 6'5" and Moss is just 6'. In fact, I prefer big point guards I like Darwich at the point because it gives Maine's opponents in AE tougher man matchups with Fleming at 6'7", White 6'6', Larsson 6;8', Eze 6'8" and Darwich 6'5", especially where there is not as much size in the AE Conference overall.

Sorry, if you thought that my post about Darwich was lunatical, (if there is such a word). I apologize for that.
bcbc55

Postby Justabasketballfan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Moss is listed at 5-foot-10, and likely is at least a half-inch shorter than that.
Justabasketballfan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics