UMBC women out shoot UMaine but commit 29 TOs & lose 58-45!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMBC women out shoot UMaine but commit 29 TOs & lose 58-45!

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 pm

When a team out shoots their opponents percentage wise for FG%, 3pt% and FS% out rebound them by 11 you might think that they should win the game. However, that was not the case today as the UMaine women proved that old "basketball adage" that "a good team can play poor and still win" as the Maine defense scored 24 of their 58 points off 29 UMBC turnovers while committing 13 TO's themselves to win their 10th conference game against 1 loss. UMBC falls to 1-10 in the conference

UMBC shot 42.5% from the floor on 17 of 40 and Maine shot 35.2% on 19-54.
UMBC shot 28.6% for 3's on 2 of 7 and Maine shot 23.8% on 5 of 21.
UMBC shot 75.0% from the foul line on 9 of 12 and Maine shot 71.4% on 15 of 21.

UMBC had 36 rebounds Maine 25.

Maine had 13 assists UMBC had 9.

Both teams scored 22 points in the paint.

Maine committed 16 personal fouls and UMBC had 20.

Maine had 3 players in double figures, Millan with 14, Rossignol with 12 and Wadling with 11.

UMBC had 2 with 10 each, Summer and Oliver.

Just goes to show, that "Figures don't lie", BUT THAT THEY CAN BE VERY MISLEADING. ask UMBC!

Score by quarters:
Maine 17 26 40 58
UMBC 10 22 33 45

Maine lead by 4 at the half 26-22 when they lost Dor Saar to an ankle sprain in the 2nd quarter with 5 minutes to go in the quarter and she did not return. It took Maine awhile to adjust without her running the show at point, but once they did they regrouped and went on to the win even though they did not score a field goal in the last 6 plus minutes of the game as they shot 7 of 8 from the line to seal the win.

Now the question remains will Saar be available for that important Wednesday home game against Hartford who is 9-1 and tied with Maine in the loss column. Hartford beat Maine at Hartford 49-46 and this game is the battle for first place. Hartford's lone loss came at Binghamton who Maine beat already this season at home 95-66.

Again, Maine showed that the key to winning a game especially in the one and done win or go home season is "CAN YOU PLAY POORLY AND STILL WIN"? At least Maine proved that today in the regular season and doing it without their outstanding point guard for the last 25 minutes. They key today was the tough defense that Maine played throughout the game as they completely intimidated and dominated the UMBC offense, what there was of it, even though UMBC did out shoot Maine percentage wise for the game in the 3 shooting categories, as Maine limited the Retrievers to just 7 3 point attempts for 40 minutes. They also limited UMBC to just 40 FGA's as the 29 UMBC turnovers helped the Maine cause to come away with a win after having a very tough shooting afternoon.

Hartford did not play today and going into today's game Maine's RPI was 76 Hartford's 106, Maine's SOS (Strength of Schedule) was 144 and Hartford's was 155. Those realtimerpi.com's rankings will change before Wednesday's game as they will include games that both teams have beaten in conference and non-conference games as they win or lose .
bcbc55

Re: UMBC women out shoot UMaine but commit 29 TOs & lose 58-

Postby bulldog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Coach...
Did not see the game so I may not be correct, but from a different perspective...maybe Maine played well in limiting UMBC to 45 points. Half of the game is played on defense, and forcing 29 turnovers could be insinuated as playing very well. Although Maine may not have shot to the standards one may want, they had far more shots...14, scored more baskets, made more 3s and more foul shots. Numbers show to me that they played pretty well!
bulldog

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 pm

bulldog wrote:Coach...
Did not see the game so I may not be correct, but from a different perspective...maybe Maine played well in limiting UMBC to 45 points. Half of the game is played on defense, and forcing 29 turnovers could be insinuated as playing very well. Although Maine may not have shot to the standards one may want, they had far more shots...14, scored more baskets, made more 3s and more foul shots. Numbers show to me that they played pretty well!

"bulldog": You are right, I should have said they played poor offensively as I stated that they did intimidate and dominate UMBC defensively the entire game. Half of UMBC 29 turnovers were just plain offensive turnovers not caused by Maine's defense they were self-inflicted turnovers bad decision making not forced turnovers by Maine's defense. If Maine had shot well they would have probably won by the 40 they won by the first game with UMBC at home 84-44.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Just curious, why did you create a separate thread for your post when a thread had already been created for this game?
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Just curious, why did you create a separate thread for your post when a thread had already been created for this game?

"MaineBBFan99": Because I have been writing up the stats of the men's and women's games that I watch on my computer since the beginning of the season in November. Habit I guess as I have always used a new topic thread each time unless I do both teams together which I have done when it warrants it by the time the games end. Just makes it easier for those that are looking for the stats write ups to find.

Also, don't want to be accused of interfering with another thread.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics