Maine running back arrested

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine running back arrested

Postby BearDown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:32 pm

I bleed Bear blood...but sometimes this is a tough team to like.

Zedric Joseph: Domestic abuse, then murder. Jovan Belcher: Domestic abuse, then murder, then suicide.

If the allegations are proven to be true, there is no way RJ comes back -and good riddance. In fact: unless the allegations are proven fully untrue AND her story is full recanted I don't think RJ ever comes back.

Such a high percentage of domestic abuse (and murder) among players and former players of this team in just the last 10 years. I'm curious if those statistics hold true for other D1 football teams over the same time period (domestic abuse, not murder).

SMH...what a shame...what a f@%!ing shame
BearDown

Postby mainejeff » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 pm

We’re all thinking the same thing BearDown. I’d like to see those statistics across college football as well. If Maine is an outlier than Maine has a serious problem....we’ve all seen the lack of discipline on the field at times spanning multiple coaches...does this translate to off the field as well? Do we just recruit “bad dudes”? Does the isolated location lend itself to a certain lifestyle element that some guys just can’t handle? Do coaches turn the other cheek even if/when evidence of misbevhavior takes place?

I don’t know...but as a Maine football fan...I’m sick of being punched in the gut on an annual basis. Seems like every off-season brings more BS from someone associated with this program. :oops: :evil:
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:43 pm

He’s a bit small, but we could move Devin Young to running back. He has more strength than EE, has good speed and he is pretty damn shifty in the open field. I would like to see the coaches consider the move, if Ramon is done. I honestly don’t want Edwards lining up in the backfield at all. Jet sweeps...OK. Fitzy is a capable back just doesn’t have the home run speed. I think Young is worth a look there. Plus, Maine is stacked at receiver. Blair, Edwards and Miller are your top 3 and I think Clark Barnes has a legit chance to play immediately.
Blind Zebra

Postby BearDown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 pm

DaeJuan Sanders showed a lot of potential in the Rhody game. His durability would be a concern but he's shifty and showed some explosiveness.
BearDown

Postby BearDown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Actually, they have him listed at 5'11" 210. I thought he was much smaller than that.
BearDown

Postby MattyB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 pm

mainejeff wrote:We’re all thinking the same thing BearDown. I’d like to see those statistics across college football as well. If Maine is an outlier than Maine has a serious problem....we’ve all seen the lack of discipline on the field at times spanning multiple coaches...does this translate to off the field as well? Do we just recruit “bad dudes”? Does the isolated location lend itself to a certain lifestyle element that some guys just can’t handle? Do coaches turn the other cheek even if/when evidence of misbevhavior takes place?

I don’t know...but as a Maine football fan...I’m sick of being punched in the gut on an annual basis. Seems like every off-season brings more BS from someone associated with this program. :oops: :evil:

Go back to the postgame press conference after the Rhode Island game and listen to what Coach H says about the type of player they recruit...talks about how Rhode Island tries to recruit the same kids...sometimes you wonder if the kids they go after, that have been missed by the bigger schools, all have bigger chips on their shoulders than we realize...
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby BearDown » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm

In lieu of the Womens Hockey news that broke today -is there any update to Ramons story? Has he been dismissed, suspended, etc?
BearDown

Postby fafan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:13 pm

BearDown wrote:In lieu of the Womens Hockey news that broke today -is there any update to Ramons story? Has he been dismissed, suspended, etc?

No news from the University yet. Court date on 3/4/19.

On AGS, UNH poster acknowledged they have 4 Linebackers who have been suspended for their home invasion of the fraternity house brawl, see below.

Not a good offseason for UNH, 4 LBs arrested and suspended due to a fight with a fraternity. First time in a long time for a program like UNH. Must be all that free time for not making the playoffs....
fafan

Postby hoopsisme » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Problem not unique to U Maine. Problem seems larger than it is. Vast majority of athletes and students do great things. That isn't newsworthy. No doubt that knuckleheads need to be dealt with. Not much going on at Maine compared to Ann Arbor, South Bend, Columbus Oh. Makes it seem bigger here. Still no excuse for the behavior. Bet those who attended school back in the day are happy social media wasn't around then!!
hoopsisme

Postby fafan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Latest news on Jefferson, guess this doesn't really change things for now. On the positive side he could still be innocent?

Maine running back pleads not guilty to domestic violence charge

Penobscot County Jail | BDN
Ramon Jefferson
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff • March 1, 2019 2:15 pm
A running back on the University of Maine football team has waived arraignment and pleaded not guilty to domestic violence assault and criminal mischief.

Ramon Jefferson, 19, of Old Town and the Bronx, New York, was scheduled to appear Monday at the Penobscot County Judicial Center in Bangor to enter his pleas.

Because both charges are misdemeanors, Jefferson’s attorneys, Timothy Woodcock and Kady Huff of Bangor, were able to enter the waiver and pleas on his behalf.

The football player is next due in court May 8.

Jefferson was arrested at about 8 p.m. Feb. 6 in Old Town, about two hours after Bangor police responded to a report of a domestic disturbance at a Bangor residence. Jefferson was not at the residence when officers arrived at 6 p.m., according to Sgt. Wade Betters, spokesman for the Bangor Police Department. Old Town police arrested him later in the evening.

The female victim and Jefferson had been in a domestic relationship, according to police.

Jefferson has been free on personal recognizance bail with conditions that he have no contact with the victim and that he not return to her address since he was released from the Penobscot County Jail a few hours after his arrest.

If convicted, Jefferson faces up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000 on each Class D charge.
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics