Game Discussion: Maine Men Vs. Vermont 2/6/19

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Game Discussion: Maine Men Vs. Vermont 2/6/19

Postby Justabasketballfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:02 pm

No surprise. Vermont the superior team, and probably will remain so for the foreseeable future.
They've got it going in Burlington ... a terrific mid-major coach, great support from both administration and the community. Quality academics. Quaint college town, etc.
Justabasketballfan

Postby sewey76 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Arrogant for sure but I don't think I'd call them aholes. The play by play people were a bit tough to take. Consider- they don't have a football team, no baseball, women's bb stinks and their hockey team is like ours. So what else can they cheer about? I only watched about half the game and I'm not a sophisticated basketball fan but a few things stuck out. Maine gave up 3 offensive rebounds all of which were converted into 3's by Vermont. That's 9 points given up that never should have happened. On another sequence Maine got 2 foul shots on a flagrant foul, missed both shots and then turned the ball over on the possession without getting a shot. Overall I like the progress of this team but those are some of the low points I saw in just a little over 1/2 a game. Still think they can host a Quarterfinal game given the schedule and the overall progress I see.
sewey76

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 pm

thebam wrote:
Archer Bunker wrote:
fromthebench wrote:I thought they were a bit sketchy as well...

Yeah kinda like thebam.

AB

and throught the magic of the " foe" button, just like the petulant little child Blackbear28, you too sir are now gone from my feed. So save yourself the trouble of insulting me , because you are history.

Thank You I appreciate that.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby augie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 pm

thebam wrote:
Archer Bunker wrote:
fromthebench wrote:I thought they were a bit sketchy as well...

Yeah kinda like thebam.

AB

and throught the magic of the " foe" button, just like the petulant little child Blackbear28, you too sir are now gone from my feed. So save yourself the trouble of insulting me , because you are history.

God you’re a drama queen.
augie

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I hear ya about those Arrogant Vermont fans. But they are starting construction on a new
95 million dollar facility. The downside of all that is they are cutting back several other athletic
scholarships for track, cross country and swimming.
Mens basketball being their marque sport now other than Hockey.

It would be nice if Maine could pull off a 95 million dollar expansion. I would not even care if
it was in Orono (even if I am a bit partial to Portland) but that being said I think they planned
ahead for this expansion in Burlington. It would nice to see some things done up at Orono as well.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/10/29/constru ... in-winter/

https://vtdigger.org/2018/12/20/uvm-tri ... -swimming/
basketball_guy

Postby Justabasketballfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am

Arrogant Vermont fans?
Have you ever been to a game there, basketball_guy?
I've been to more than a few games in Vermont, and have always found those who attend games to be among the most-polite spectators anywhere ... almost exclusively "positive cheering."
Great crowd support for men's games, above-average support for women's games, even when when that team is mediocre. The community really supports sports up there.

Of course, there are always a few outliers in forums like this one, but decorum and positive support is the norm at Vermont games.

But, make no mistake ... hockey is far and away the top sport at Vermont. Not even close. Standing-room only crowds at every game. Hockey East is a "high-major" level of the sport, as opposed to America East's status as pretty much a low-major in basketball.

Yes, a new facility is coming for Vermont. The current facility is antiquated ... built 56 years ago. It not only serves the athletic teams, but the student population as well. When it was built, Vt. had 3,000 undergrads. Now, there are close to 10,000 undergrads. It's the price of doing business, of keeping up with the competition.
There was a single $15 million contribution to kick-start the building fund. Maybe someone in Maine can come up with that level of donation?

OK, that's not happening. And, no need for it with the Cross Center only a few miles away for the basketball programs. Considering the financial situation of our school, I highly doubt we'd see a $95 million commitment to new athletic facilities at any point.

As for scholarship cuts at Vermont ... 3.5 total between track & field and swimming/diving. Not exactly draconian cutbacks.
Justabasketballfan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:22 pm

I can honestly say I have not although I have been to the Campus on several occassions. I see these guys on basketball forum however and they do seem a bit overbearing at times about Vermont basketball. I went to
a Community College in Upstate New York and we played Champlain College up near there in basketball.

Yes it would be nice if UMAINE had some facility upgrades. Not much has changed since I was there in 77 to 78.
Back then Alfond Arena was brand new. Now some here say it is antiquated.

I think Senator King may be looking at getting some changes made as it pertains to a Federal Infrastructure grant.
How that would tie in with UMAINE exactly I am not sure but I do know he is looking into this. That would be a great first step at least.
basketball_guy

Postby Justabasketballfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:06 am

Hey basketball_guy ... you're evaluating the arrogance of Vermont basketball fans based on evidence from a fan's basketball forum?
Basketball forums (this one included), based on the anonymity posters, don't always draw the most responsible, polite comments.
Should we judge UMaine's fan decorum on a few posters from this forum? Let's hope not!!!

I would suggest you actually attend a home game of a specific team before making derogatory commentary about its fan base. I've probably attended more than a dozen games, as a spectator, at Vermont. And, again, it among the most-polite fan base, the most positive support of any I've ever witnessed.

As you know, your experience playing a game at Champlain College 40 years ago has no relevance to any of this...so, why even mention that?

And, as you should know, the state of Maine isn't going to drop $95 million on our athletic program for new facilities. Not when the Cross Center, a very nice, modern place, is so close by, available and widely used for our games.

There are specific targets for the infrastructure spending to which you refer, and none of them includes any money directed towards athletic facilities.
Justabasketballfan

Postby dunbar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am

Justabasketballfan wrote:And, as you should know, the state of Maine isn't going to drop $95 million on our athletic program for new facilities. Not when the Cross Center, a very nice, modern place, is so close by, available and widely used for our games.

(except when it's not...)

Ken Ralph has stated the importance of having all programs play on campus. Alfond Arena should be replaced within the next ten years. Any replacement needs to be an actual multipurpose facility like the Cross Center, not a rink that was expanded to accommodate basketball fifteen years after the fact (which isn't totally true because they did nothing to make the seating bowl more basketball friendly).
dunbar

Postby thebam » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 am

Anyone who didn't see the video presentation regarding the new facilities at Vermont should take the time to go find it if they can and watch it. From a recruiting standpoint, this is going to hurt Maine. It's the 21st Century. Facilities matter to kids and Vermont is about to become #1 with a bullet in this regard for hoops AND hockey. Maine obviously can't just $hit tiffany cufflinks, but they better be thinking really hard about something new and start getting serious about it.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics