MBB 2nd Half Schedule

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

MBB 2nd Half Schedule

Postby Linguist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:24 am

So here are the final 8 games of the America East schedule for UMaine.

The Bears went 3-5 in the first half of the league season, what can they do in the second half? Teams have a book on them now, but they also have tape and a scouting report on all of the league teams.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Wednesday 2/6 at Vermont (gm 1 - loss 73-49)
Sunday 2/10 vs. UMBC (gm 1 - loss 61-52)
Wednesday 2/13 at Hartford (gm 1 - loss 77-76)
Sunday 2/17 vs. Albany (gm 1 - WIN 66-62)
Saturday 2/23 at Stony Brook (gm 1 - loss 66-62)
Wednesday 2/27 vs. UMass-Lowell (gm 1 - WIN 78-59)
Saturday 3/2 vs Binghamton 11am (gm 1 - loss 78-66)
Tuesday 3/5 at New Hampshire (gm 1 WIN 62-53)

Okay, Maine is not winning at Vermont or at Stony Brook.

UMBC has won 5 in a row, they are 6-2 in conference. The Bears aren't beating the Retrievers in Bangor Sunday the 10th.

I have a hard time seeing a win at Hartford.

So the most Maine could win in the second half is 4 games. The 3 home games against Albany, UMass-Lowell, and Binghamton, and the road game at UNH.

Honestly I'd be happy with another 3-5 record to close out the 2nd half, and finish the regular season with 6 conference wins.
Linguist

Re: MBB 2nd Half Schedule

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 am

It would be nice to sneak into 4th place and host a playoff game. 5th place would be a road game but likely avoid Vermont, Stony Brook and UMBC.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am

6 conference wins would be a positive step forward for the program. I like the chances of sweeping UNH, beating Bingo at home and get another win somewhere, not at Vermont or Stony Brook.
Blind Zebra

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Playing Vermont in Burlington will be tough game. No one gives Maine a chance but
I think we are finally beginning to see some light at the end of the losing tunnel and it
bodes well for the future. I would like to think they could knock off Vermont at some point...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Maine has home games against Albany, UMass-Lowell, Binghamton and UMBC.
Road games against Vermont, Hartford, Stonybrook and UNH.

If they won all four home games and UNH on the road they would finish 8-8 and possibly finish 4th for a home quarter-final AE tournament game. Probably not going to beat Vermont, SB and Hartford on the road although they handled UMass-Lowell on the road 78-59.

Maine beat Albany and UMass-Lowell on the road so should beat them at home. Should be able to beat Binghamton at home, the big question about home game wins is UMBC who has won 5 conference games in a row and is now 6-2 as Linguist stated. UMBC has the lowest SOS in the conference at 308 and Maine is 3rd highest at 192 could be a factor in that game.

Should beat UNH on the road. So could end up 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8.

Rooting for 8-8 but will accept 6-10 as others have stated and for the same reasons...6-10 Good first year, 7-9 exceed expectations or 8-8 great comeback for the program under New Coaching Staff.

Maybe even a tourney Quarter-final win too. Would be the first in many a years. A tourney QF win would be outstanding.

If Maine is 5th or below I wouldn't want to be the higher seeded team that has to play them in the quarter-finals of the tourney as Maine has as much talent and size as Albany, Binghamton, UMass-Lowell, and UNH. Only team to easily handle Maine was Vermont 73-49. They stayed wirh SB, Hartford, Binghamton and UMBC.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 am

I think Maine realistically goes 3-5 in the second half.

Losses :
At Vermont
vs. UMBC
At Hartford
At Stony Brook
At New Hampshire

Wins :
vs. Albany
vs. UMass- Lowell
vs. Binghamton

Watching the game in person against UNH, the Wildcats were bad. Coach Herrion was not pleased with their defensive efforts or their offensive sets. I could hear him across the CIC (granted there wasn't much crowd noise so when he yelled at them everyone could hear him, and it seems like the team was flat and they weren't doing what he wanted game plan wise. I bet that changes in the rematch in Durham. It isn't easy to win on the road in the conference.
Linguist

Postby Justabasketballfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:33 am

Remaining schedule is vs. some of the league's better teams.
And, check out Albany ... very much improved since the first meeting.

My guess: 2-5 down the stretch. Anything better than that would be a nice achievement.
Justabasketballfan

Postby dunbar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:58 am

Justabasketballfan wrote:Remaining schedule is vs. some of the league's better teams.

This statement applies to the whole league. Everyone has played each other once already with one to go.
dunbar

Postby Justabasketballfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am

The comment was made because pretty much everyone in the league presents a challenge for our team.

The only game that looks like it should absolutely be a win is UNH.

Probably not going to win at Vt. tonight, UMBC, Stony Brook, Hartford all significantly better than us. UA is improving has a 3-game winning streak and lost the two games before that both by 1 point in OT games. UMass-Lowell is a potential win. Already lost to Binghamton.

Let's just hope the last 8 games don't produce a 1-7 record. 2-6 appears the likeliest outcome. 3-5 would be terrific.
Justabasketballfan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics