UNH @ Maine Men

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UNH @ Maine Men

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Maine up by 4 at half time. Vilgot Larsen leading the way with a career high in points. Fleming is pressing too much and has missed some easy looks. He is helping Maine on the boards with 7. This UNH team is terrible. Maine should be up by double digits. Can not afford to lose this home game.
Blind Zebra

Re: UNH @ Maine Men

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Amen! Maine is playing good D and looks good in transition.....but their halfcourt game has sucked. Everyone is way too tentative.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Maine wins 62-53! Larsson (8-13, 23) and El Darwich (8-12, 18) with strong games. Flemming (1-11, 5) really struggled today. He did have 11 rebounds though.
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 am

Terion Moss - 6 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 turnover.

As a team Maine had 16 assists on 23 made baskets and only 9 turnovers.

Fleming was back to his usual self, missing shots in the paint and complaining to the officials. His one hoop was a long lead out pass where he had to lay it up at the rim with 2 late closers coming at him, and he complained about contact there. When he plays hard and tough, he can compete. But he has days where he is just soft.

Larsson was hot to start and then missed 3 straight three pointers.

El Darwich figured out in the second half, there wasn't a UNH player on the court who could stop him from getting to the low block, and then once he was there he could do anything he wanted. The Maine players and staff realized that too and fed him in places where he could attack. Great to see in game adjustments like that from the staff and players.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 am

It was an overall great game and win for Maine. If Fleming had hit half of his shots this would have been a 20 point blowout.

They are progressing nicely. :)
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Agreed on Fleming. I feel like half of his shot attempts were aimed at the rim, rather than him taking a confident shot. He can be explosive attacking the basket as we saw in the Lowell game. What I don’t get, is why he shoots so many fades and hooks? Take it up strong and into the defenders chest. Get the contact and go to the line. Yeah, he may get some of those shots sent back to him, but if you seek contact you will also get to the line for easy opportunities. Be aggressive young fella!
Good adjustment by Coach to get the big guard, El- Darwich and his tall wing,Larsson, down on the box and Fleming at the high post as a facilitator in the second half. Also, Coach made a spot sub for Vince Eze that resulted in 2 huge post baskets.
Last edited by Blind Zebra on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blind Zebra

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Update.... Andrew Fleming was named AE player of the week today. He’s also closing in on 1,000 career points.
I’ve been hard on Andrew at times, but he’s a junior and team leader. I think we as fans are just looking for more consistency from him. 59% from the line is one stat line that should be improved upon. One way to do that is get more attempts. I think he should be 70-75%.
Blind Zebra

Postby Archer Bunker » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Sorry guys but I just can not get excited about beating a team that was 3-17 and now 3-18. Get a win at 17-5 Vermont on Wednesday and I'll get excited.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 am

Hey a win is a win...I'll take it
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 am

Blind Zebra wrote:Update.... Andrew Fleming was named AE player of the week today. He’s also closing in on 1,000 career points.
I’ve been hard on Andrew at times, but he’s a junior and team leader. I think we as fans are just looking for more consistency from him. 59% from the line is one stat line that should be improved upon. One way to do that is get more attempts. I think he should be 70-75%.

"BZ": Certainly deserves the award for his performance against UML on the road to boot.

All D-1 players should shoot at least 70% from the line. Interesting that Fleming only got to the foul line once when all his FG's made were in the paint and only 1 was more than 6 feet.

Goes from 18 for 20 for 90% on the road to 1 for 11 for 0.90% at home. The 90's are just in different decimal positions. GO FIGURE???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Good to see Darwich, Larsson and Eze get to score in the paint with Fleming having an off afternoon Sunday against UNH.

My "Off the Rim" column this morning in the Bangor Daily News is about Fleming and UMaine being effective and efficient in their national attention game for Fleming's and his teammates performance on Wednesday vs. UML.

The ball certainly takes odd bounces even though it is round and not 2 ended pointed like a football.

Great on Wednesday on the road and off on Sunday at home. However, the most important thing was both games were wins.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics