Game Discussion: Maine Men BB Vs. Vermont 1/9/19

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Game Discussion: Maine Men BB Vs. Vermont 1/9/19

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:25 pm

CoachA wrote:Two thoughts: Coach Curry is one of the best fundamental teachers of the game...one of the reasons I'm sure that she coached/taught in the NBA Development League. #2 And if Chris Markwood got the job and didn't recruit any Maine players he would be trashed very quickly as well. How do you really know that Maine has not recruited Maine players? Maybe after all the poor coaching the last ten or more years with Walsh and Woodard no player from Maine ever says yes when they are recruited by Maine! The culture is changing and shame on you that think winning is the only thing...that will come but the culture of a program that has had baaaad coaching for a good many years has to change first..and it is! In the "immediate gratification" world we live in today, young players don't want to have to be willing to work to rebuild a program. They would actually rather go sit on a winning tradition team's bench rather than help rebuild a program that has been in shambles thanks to the previous two coaches. Stop blaming the current coach. How about an administration who did a poor job in the hiring of the two previous coaches? As well as the one who hired Cindy Blodgett? Horrible.

Amen!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

mainejeff wrote:
CoachA wrote:Two thoughts: Coach Curry is one of the best fundamental teachers of the game...one of the reasons I'm sure that she coached/taught in the NBA Development League. #2 And if Chris Markwood got the job and didn't recruit any Maine players he would be trashed very quickly as well. How do you really know that Maine has not recruited Maine players? Maybe after all the poor coaching the last ten or more years with Walsh and Woodard no player from Maine ever says yes when they are recruited by Maine! The culture is changing and shame on you that think winning is the only thing...that will come but the culture of a program that has had baaaad coaching for a good many years has to change first..and it is! In the "immediate gratification" world we live in today, young players don't want to have to be willing to work to rebuild a program. They would actually rather go sit on a winning tradition team's bench rather than help rebuild a program that has been in shambles thanks to the previous two coaches. Stop blaming the current coach. How about an administration who did a poor job in the hiring of the two previous coaches? As well as the one who hired Cindy Blodgett? Horrible.

Amen!

"MJ": Is that Amen the end of a prayer that the UMaine men's coaching staff can improve their 3 point and foul shooting percentages by next October or that they can find some who can?
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 pm

:roll:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm

mainejeff wrote::roll:

"MJ": I'll take that as a yes.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm

My comment for Chris Markwood would be an addition, not replace anyone on staff. That with much emphasis on international recruiting, the staff as comprised most likely a little short in the 48 states. Every comment and post supports Curry since signing on board. My sense the Anderson lady from Leavitt filled a niche role with the women's program during her time.

Any addition I am assuming would have to be funded by the Boosters, etc. as $ not in current budget. It is great to read the strong and positive posts regarding assistant, even if you have concerns about head coach.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:My comment for Chris Markwood would be an addition, not replace anyone on staff. That with much emphasis on international recruiting, the staff as comprised most likely a little short in the 48 states. Every comment and post supports Curry since signing on board. My sense the Anderson lady from Leavitt filled a niche role with the women's program during her time.

Any addition I am assuming would have to be funded by the Boosters, etc. as $ not in current budget. It is great to read the strong and positive posts regarding assistant, even if you have concerns about head coach.

"EE": My comment about Markwood was that he didn't even get an on campus interview (just one by Skype and he is a former Maine player who has been very successful as an assistant coach at Vermont and Northeastern) when Walsh left and of course with no national search when Barron was hire he didn't get a chance to apply. I wanted him as the head coach.

My two concerns about the men's program for this past season are:

Poor foul shooting 64.8% and poor 3 point shooting percentage 31.1% and neither were improved upon during the season by any of the coaching staff members.

Second time around AE schedule the opponents seemed better prepared then Maine was for the second meeting both offensively and defensively as Maine was 3-5 1st half and 0-8 the second half not counting tourney loss to Vermont.
bcbc55

Postby Archer Bunker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm

thebam wrote:
CoachA wrote:Not in hibernation, AB....I just have a life. The men's program will be just fine. It takes time to build a program from the depths that it had plummeted. Plus, it's just easier not to respond to people who have no clue what they're talking about and who just want to be negative about everything. I'm sure baseball will be the next program trashing!

Correct Coach.. Coach Cim has already hacked the baseball conversation to rip the men's basketball program. I have had AB on block for weeks. He doesn't watch games. Just reads the w/l total and thinks he's an expert. It's annoying at it's highest level. It's been much better on here since I blocked him.

Just in case you guys missed it Virginia beat Texas Tech for the NCAA National Championship 85-77.
Oh and by the way I picked Virginia to win it all before the tournament started.
AB
Archer Bunker

Postby mainejeff » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 am

Archer Bunker wrote:
thebam wrote:
CoachA wrote:Not in hibernation, AB....I just have a life. The men's program will be just fine. It takes time to build a program from the depths that it had plummeted. Plus, it's just easier not to respond to people who have no clue what they're talking about and who just want to be negative about everything. I'm sure baseball will be the next program trashing!

Correct Coach.. Coach Cim has already hacked the baseball conversation to rip the men's basketball program. I have had AB on block for weeks. He doesn't watch games. Just reads the w/l total and thinks he's an expert. It's annoying at it's highest level. It's been much better on here since I blocked him.

Just in case you guys missed it Virginia beat Texas Tech for the NCAA National Championship 85-77.
Oh and by the way I picked Virginia to win it all before the tournament started.
AB

You want a cookie? :roll:
mainejeff

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 pm

No thanks.

Ab
Archer Bunker

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics