Game Discussion: Maine Men BB Vs. Vermont 1/9/19

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Game Discussion: Maine Men BB Vs. Vermont 1/9/19

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 pm

CIM's post about where Chris Markwood is coaching is very thought provoking. My limited time seeing and listening to Chris indicates this is a very smart young man and has experienced the bigger world out there. He is very well spoken. If nothing else, be the lead recruiter for in country recruits. Baron out of country. And, ensure the best of Maine get recruited heavy. Does not mean they come, but sends a message.
ExpoEddie

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:CIM's post about where Chris Markwood is coaching is very thought provoking. My limited time seeing and listening to Chris indicates this is a very smart young man and has experienced the bigger world out there. He is very well spoken. If nothing else, be the lead recruiter for in country recruits. Baron out of country. And, ensure the best of Maine get recruited heavy. Does not mean they come, but sends a message.

It's hard to tell how well the staff is doing after a season like this. I really like Curry and hope that she stays on. She is a very good teacher and rep of the program.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:34 pm

mainejeff wrote:
ExpoEddie wrote:CIM's post about where Chris Markwood is coaching is very thought provoking. My limited time seeing and listening to Chris indicates this is a very smart young man and has experienced the bigger world out there. He is very well spoken. If nothing else, be the lead recruiter for in country recruits. Baron out of country. And, ensure the best of Maine get recruited heavy. Does not mean they come, but sends a message.

It's hard to tell how well the staff is doing after a season like this. I really like Curry and hope that she stays on. She is a very good teacher and rep of the program.

"MJ": Not very well in improving the players 3 point shooting skills 30.1% on a minimum of 25 attempts and foul shooting % of 64.5@ on a minimum of 45 attempts.. Only 4 players shot over 30% for 3's Ashley 40.4%, Larsson 33.8%, Fleming 32.9% and Darwich 31.3% and only 3 players shot over 70% from the line White 73.8%, Darwich 71.2% and Eze 70.3%.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby TC » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm

UMaine (Curry) was at Tilton this fall during one of their open gyms as was Vermont, Boston University, others. Vermont actively recruited 6’5 Eric Beckett, lights out shooter from outside thick build. Don’t know his season stats but perhaps could have contributed to UMaine shooting.
TC

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Is Beckett going to vermont?
hoopsisme

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:17 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Is Beckett going to vermont?

Yes.

https://247sports.com/player/eric-beckett-46055492/
parquetfloor

Postby TC » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Yes, Eric committed a few months ago to Vermont. Several of the varsity kids making decisions this month.
TC

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm

"EE": Chris only got a skype interview when Walsh got the job and couldn't get an interview when Barron was hired because it was a closed deal. I don't think Markwood come as an assistant to Maine as he would have to take a big pay cut, but he might be willingly too for the head job.
bcbc55

Postby CoachA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Two thoughts: Coach Curry is one of the best fundamental teachers of the game...one of the reasons I'm sure that she coached/taught in the NBA Development League. #2 And if Chris Markwood got the job and didn't recruit any Maine players he would be trashed very quickly as well. How do you really know that Maine has not recruited Maine players? Maybe after all the poor coaching the last ten or more years with Walsh and Woodard no player from Maine ever says yes when they are recruited by Maine! The culture is changing and shame on you that think winning is the only thing...that will come but the culture of a program that has had baaaad coaching for a good many years has to change first..and it is! In the "immediate gratification" world we live in today, young players don't want to have to be willing to work to rebuild a program. They would actually rather go sit on a winning tradition team's bench rather than help rebuild a program that has been in shambles thanks to the previous two coaches. Stop blaming the current coach. How about an administration who did a poor job in the hiring of the two previous coaches? As well as the one who hired Cindy Blodgett? Horrible.
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:55 pm

CoachA wrote:Two thoughts: Coach Curry is one of the best fundamental teachers of the game...one of the reasons I'm sure that she coached/taught in the NBA Development League. #2 And if Chris Markwood got the job and didn't recruit any Maine players he would be trashed very quickly as well. How do you really know that Maine has not recruited Maine players? Maybe after all the poor coaching the last ten or more years with Walsh and Woodard no player from Maine ever says yes when they are recruited by Maine! The culture is changing and shame on you that think winning is the only thing...that will come but the culture of a program that has had baaaad coaching for a good many years has to change first..and it is! In the "immediate gratification" world we live in today, young players don't want to have to be willing to work to rebuild a program. They would actually rather go sit on a winning tradition team's bench rather than help rebuild a program that has been in shambles thanks to the previous two coaches. Stop blaming the current coach. How about an administration who did a poor job in the hiring of the two previous coaches? As well as the one who hired Cindy Blodgett? Horrible.

"CoachA": Recruiting Maine players is one thing getting them is another. After all 2 of the 4 non-international or Canadian players are Mainers Fleming and Moss. At least give Markwood a chance not to recruit Maine players.

As far as saying winning is the only thing I never referred to that at all. I said "if Maine men are going to lose I would rather lose with Maine players than lose with non-Mainers". Does that sound that winning is everything?

I do blame the administration in the two previous men's head coaching hires. Should have hired Doug Leichner as an interim coach instead of hiring Walsh and the same for Woodward hire him as an interim hire also. Just like I blame the administration for not having a national search before hiring Barron. No problem with the Barron hire if he was the best candidate after the national search.

If Curry is one of the best fundamental coaches in the game it can't be about shooting fundamental skills or any of the other assistants or the head coach for that matter as Maine shot only 31.1% for 3's and only 4 players did that with 25 plus attempts and only 3 players with 45 attempts shot over 70% from the charity stripe as they shot 64.8% as a team. Two big weaknesses never corrected this year or even improved upon either. Those are not even good %'s for high school teams. Maine ought to have shot at least 35% for 3's and 75% from the line as a college D-1 team.

As far as Barron goes he wanted the job and without a national search he knew what he was getting into after being at Maine for 6 years before taking the job. He knew what he faced compared to a new non Maine coach coming in from the outside would know.

Give him 3 years just like he did with the women after 4 and 6 win seasons and then go 17-15 the third year, followed by 2 20 win seasons. Next year he will have 4 players (2 injuries and 1 transfer sit out and 1 red shirt) that he recruited that red shirted for different reasons and 3 new recruits he recruited for next year.

Unless there are scholarship transfers next years scholarships have already been used up and the roster is set.

6 returning scholarship players that played this year and 7 who didn't play this year.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics