What will solve the woes for the Maine men's basketball team

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: What will solve the woes for the Maine men's basketball

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Just not in this case...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:12 pm

[quote="basketball_guy"]Bob I would not answer these guys...they clearly think all answers can be found in a search

"basketball_guy": I will definitely take your advice. Thanks. I like interaction with people in person, on the phone, on MBR and not printed material unless absolutely needed.
bcbc55

Postby Mainemanhoop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

Geez, stop with the Bob Simon stuff. He got FIRED at Alabama. Period. End of story.
Alabama is (or was) being investigated for improprieties ... Simon got fired.
There is no reference to Simon being connected to the improprieties, but ...
Maybe he just didn't get along with Avery Johnson. But, that's an indictment as well. If an assistant doesn't get along with his head coach, he's not going to last very long.

Hard to believe that Simon would have left on his own accord as basketball_guy claims. Does anyone think he'd go from making about $200K (at least) at Alabama, to about $50K (if that) at Maine?

As for being the "most qualified assistant in the history of Maine basketball" ... if he were so good, he'd still be here.
Barron had a close-up view all of last season of how the men's team was being coached.
When Barron got hired as men's coach, he had the ability to hire or holdover any coach he wanted on his staff.
That he did not retain Simon speaks volumes.

This isn't speculation: Simon got fired at Alabama and, then, was not retained (basically a firing) at Maine.

Please stop with the Bob Simon stuff.
Mainemanhoop

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 pm

You know after watching Casale the other night (28, 12 and 5) against a top 25 D3 team I think he should try the Duncan Robinson route. Robinson played two years for D3 Williams and then transferred to Michigan where he ended up starting and going to a final four. (He's now on a two way contract with Miami, actually, he's originally from York, Maine, does this make him the first Mainer in the NBA? Says he's played 7 minutes in the NBA. ) Anyway, I digress. Casale should look for a top program like Duke or Syracuse, (not Maine, that's a waste of time) and consider transferring, he'd have to sit out a year due the arcane rules but if it didn't work out he could come back! Could be a ticket to the NBA!
fromthebench

Postby Mainemanhoop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Oh, yeah ... Casale's going to the NBA!
This is a joke, right?

At best, he'd be a role player even for as low a D1 program as our state's team.

Please watch the talent level and athleticism at schools like Duke/Syracuse.

Duke? DUKE?

You're not serious, right?

There have been some crazy things written on this board, but this might be the all-timer.

The difference is that Duncan Robinson had legit size, 6-foot-8, and had an elite-level skill: He was an extremely gifted shooter, one of the best in the country.
He only went lightly recruited coming out of h.s. because he was barely 6-foot-6 and weighed about 170 pounds. He grew two inches and gained 30 pounds of bulk at Williams. These things happen. Remember another Robinson, one who showed up at the Naval Academy when he was only 6-foot-7?

Casale, barely 6-foot-6, and doesn't have an "elite" skill that would set him apart at the next level. At this stage, he's not going to suddenly grow two or three more inches.
Not to take anything away. Anyone who plays at the college level is a pretty good player. And, Casale is a very good D3 player.

But, let's admit that the Great Northeast Conference isn't exactly the ACC. It isn't as good as the NESCAC, either.

Also, unless I'm missing something, there's no team on St. Joe's schedule that's currently in the top 25 of D3.

He should stay exactly where he is.
Nothing wrong with being a significant contributor for a home-area school, as opposed to a bench warmer at a higher level.
Stay where he is, set all kinds of school records. Eventually get selected to his school's athletic Hall of Fame. Be forever remembered there. Leave a legacy that basketball followers from our state will still remember 30 or 40 years from now.
Mainemanhoop

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Just my opinion on Casale, he's a better athlete(quicker and faster) than Robinson (a spot up stretch four) Casale is lightning quick and can defend either guard position, fast release on his jump shot, as I said, whatever he does I expect he'll have an opportunity to play pro ball, after his last game he might have moved up into the top ten D3 scorers in the country, out of thousands...
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Oh, I think you said, being recruited by other D1 schools is the only way to judge whether one is worthy of playing D1? Ever hear of Charlie Furbush? A 6'5" lefty out of South Portland was recruited by nobody and went to D3 St. Joseph's (just like Casale, the only school that expressed interest) after two stellar years he transferred to LSU, was drafted and went all the way to the Major Leagues where he had several effective season's before arm injuries set him back. He's back now with Seattle's Triple A affiliate and might make a second run in the big show.

Maine is woefully under recruited and gems slip by all the time in every sport. IMO Having just watched the 6'8" Fiorillo playing point guard against the Portland Bulldog Press I see it happening again... :)
fromthebench

Postby augie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm

fromthebench wrote:Oh, I think you said, being recruited by other D1 schools is the only way to judge whether one is worthy of playing D1? Ever hear of Charlie Furbush? A 6'5" lefty out of South Portland was recruited by nobody and went to D3 St. Joseph's (just like Casale, the only school that expressed interest) after two stellar years he transferred to LSU, was drafted and went all the way to the Major Leagues where he had several effective season's before arm injuries set him back. He's back now with Seattle's Triple A affiliate and might make a second run in the big show.

Maine is woefully under recruited and gems slip by all the time in every sport. IMO Having just watched the 6'8" Fiorillo playing point guard against the Portland Bulldog Press I see it happening again... :)

This analogy is a stretch. Furbush threw low 80’s out of high school. 1.5-2 years later he was mid 90’s and the rest is history. Adding 12-14 mph to a pitcher fastball is the equivalent of Casale growing 5” taller, adding 6” to his vertical jump and 12” to his wing span.
augie

Postby Mainemanhoop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 am

Agree entirely with Augie. He "gets it."

Things are a lot different in baseball. As pitchers mature, get strength and better training, their velocity increases.
Many, many instances of young low-level pitchers improving dramatically.
Not so much in basketball.
Yes, the analogy is a big-time "stretch." Not even remotely similar.

Maine "gems" don't slip by recruiters. These kids all play AAU basketball. They play in at least a dozen tournaments every spring/summer. Hundreds of coaches see them. If they're truly good, they'll be recruited. College coaches/recruiters are the real experts.

Lots of colleges do indeed actively recruit Maine. Need proof? How about all the girls who are playing D1 basketball, some at a pretty high level? Coaches go where the talent is located. If there was D1 male talent in Maine, the coaches would be here. If a player has no D1 interest as a senior in high school, then he's not a D1 player.

Who's recruiting Fiorillo?

Casale is most definitely NOT "lightning quick." But, his level? Very good D3 player. He's got as much chance to play in the NBA as you do.

You're comparing his skill level to other D3 players in a very mediocre league. He's basically playing against some opponents who are half a step above intramural level of college basketball. Get out and watch some D1 games and take note of the skill and athleticism of its players. Then, see if you still advocate this young man transferring to Duke!!!

You continue to compare him to Duncan Robinson, who had an "elite" skill (and, he was 6-foot-8). Robinson might have been the best long-range shooter in the country. That's a skill, along with his size that enables him to shoot over defenders, that works at any level. Casale has no comparable "elite" skill in any facet of his game.

Please stop!

You keep calling Fiorillo 6-8. All reports are that he's 6-7. The competition he plays against is abysmal. He'll be a pretty good D3 player. Maybe some D2 will take a chance on him.
Mainemanhoop

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 am

As someone else mentioned on the women’s thread, this discussion is all wasted words on a page and has absolutely nothing to do with UMaine Men’s Basketball. Coach Barron has already signed the next incoming recruiting class. Unless some kids transfer, there are no remaining available scholarships. The discussion of Maine high school seniors and D3 players belongs on another board.
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics