Albany 80 Maine 69

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Albany 80 Maine 69

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:21 pm

The Great Danes outscore Maine 26-13 in the last 9:48 of the game.

Maine is now 4-14 in their last 18 games and 1-7 in their last 8.

Once again, despite perceived "improvement".......Maine is headed for the play-in game.......again.

I know that it is "rumored" that Woodward has received a contract extension.........but the direction of this program has to be questioned with Woodward at the helm.
mainejeff

Re: Albany 80 Maine 69

Postby aechamps » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Woodward is not going anywhere soon enough. Blake James calls this progress.
aechamps

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:33 pm

aechamps wrote:Woodward is not going anywhere soon enough. Blake James calls this progress.

Yes......just like the UMaine hockey team is making progress! I guess making the playoffs as the 8th place team is progress even if they end up having a worse league record than last season. :roll:

TIMMAY!
mainejeff

Postby BALLFAN2009 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Im my opinion, i dont think its coach woodward's coaching. You can't get apple juice from an orange. Just like you can't get alot of Div 1 wins with a Div 2 team. Again i feel Maine has A FEW legit Div 1 kids but the bulk of the team is Div 2 players. I think what Maine needs is better recruiters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet if you give coach Woodward legit Div 1 kids he can do something with them. Rudy Keelings had alot of winning seasons (20+ wins ) and he had good Div 1 players. They might have been kids that could not play at Duke or North Carolina but they were low Div1 talent and he proved that by winning and being in the hunt for a league title each year. I dont know who is in charge of the recruiting for the program but if it is not Coach Woodward i would suggest that he take this over and save his job and the program before it gets to be too late.
BALLFAN2009

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:21 pm

BALLFAN2009 wrote:Im my opinion, i dont think its coach woodward's coaching. You can't get apple juice from an orange. Just like you can't get alot of Div 1 wins with a Div 2 team. Again i feel Maine has A FEW legit Div 1 kids but the bulk of the team is Div 2 players. I think what Maine needs is better recruiters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet if you give coach Woodward legit Div 1 kids he can do something with them. Rudy Keelings had alot of winning seasons (20+ wins ) and he had good Div 1 players. They might have been kids that could not play at Duke or North Carolina but they were low Div1 talent and he proved that by winning and being in the hunt for a league title each year. I dont know who is in charge of the recruiting for the program but if it is not Coach Woodward i would suggest that he take this over and save his job and the program before it gets to be too late.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Woodward is in charge of recruiting for his own team. :roll:

I agree that Maine lacks solid D-1 talent. I'd say that on the current roster, only the following are legit D-1 players:

McNally
McLemore
Peay
Owes

Bernal and Socoby suffer from some major deficiencies.........Bernal has no offense and Socoby is too slow.
mainejeff

Postby mbr2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Of all the players on Maine's roster Socoby had the most interest until he blew his knee. That is a big reason Maine got him.
mbr2

Postby mbr2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Owes in my opinion is good on offense and a liability on D and I also believe Rogers will have a good career.
mbr2

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:17 pm

mbr2 wrote:Of all the players on Maine's roster Socoby had the most interest until he blew his knee. That is a big reason Maine got him.

Very true. I'm sure his knee slowed him down considerably. He has the size and instincts, and can get on a killer shooting streak at times.......just doesn't have the overall package to take Maine to the next level (ie. out of the basement).
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:19 pm

mbr2 wrote:Owes in my opinion is good on offense and a liability on D and I also believe Rogers will have a good career.

I agree about Rogers. I hesitated to include him because I really feel that he is a D-2 player that could become a self-made D-1 player.
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:41 pm

bernal is a d1 player. he has everything but a jump shot ( i realize that's very important, but look at everything else for a second). good ballhandler, great size for a pg. athletic, good defensively, great defensive rebounder, and can score off the dribble.

lets say you'd never seen him play and i told you a player had average or better talent in those areas you'd say i bet he's a good player. i will be the first to admit that his jumper and foul shots are uglier than courtney love, but overall the kid is definitely d1 caliber.
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics