UMaine Football Recruiting 2019

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Football Recruiting 2019

Postby Muchups » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 am

Mathews56 wrote:Palmer plans to visit Maine on the next couple of weeks.

I think that Palmer would be a great pickup. He's better than some comparable Maine kids who are on the roster right now, like Raff Salamone who I think will start seeing a field some next season as a red shirt sophomore.
Muchups

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am

not to be a wet blanket on the Raffaele Salamone takes, but I just don't see him getting much, if any, playing time along the defensive line this year barring significant improvement or injury.

the starters will be Whitaker, Mitchell, Oregon, and Wiley, most likely.

backups would be Bowman, Heyward, and Sambu...

Where does Salamone fit in?
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Muchups » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:not to be a wet blanket on the Raffaele Salamone takes, but I just don't see him getting much, if any, playing time along the defensive line this year barring significant improvement or injury.

They have a very strong defensive line. I didn't say I think Salamone would start or be high on the depth chart next season. From what I know of him and what I've heard of his progress at Maine, though, I just think he could see the field next season and perhaps be a bigger part of the defense his junior and senior years. I expect more of Salamone than some Maine kids who have a roster spot but will never play (i.e. Hunter Smith).

My main point, however, was that I think Palmer is better (at least coming out of high school) than most of the Maine kids they have on the roster. He got decent size already, is fast, strong and athletic in general. He strikes me as a guy who could become a very good player at this level.
Muchups

Postby fafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Muchups wrote:
UMaineSuperfan wrote:not to be a wet blanket on the Raffaele Salamone takes, but I just don't see him getting much, if any, playing time along the defensive line this year barring significant improvement or injury.

They have a very strong defensive line. I didn't say I think Salamone would start or be high on the depth chart next season. From what I know of him and what I've heard of his progress at Maine, though, I just think he could see the field next season and perhaps be a bigger part of the defense his junior and senior years. I expect more of Salamone than some Maine kids who have a roster spot but will never play (i.e. Hunter Smith).

My main point, however, was that I think Palmer is better (at least coming out of high school) than most of the Maine kids they have on the roster. He got decent size already, is fast, strong and athletic in general. He strikes me as a guy who could become a very good player at this level.

Wow Muchups, not sure of your insight but to say Smith does not play it is a little over the top. I'll take that bet right now!!!
fafan

Postby Muchups » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 pm

fafan wrote:
Muchups wrote:

Wow Muchups, not sure of your insight but to say Smith does not play it is a little over the top. I'll take that bet right now!!!

Over the top, why? Nothing against the guy but he's been with the team for several years and he hasn't even sniffed the field. He might get in a few plays before he's done with the team but I don't see him contributing on game day in any meaningful way.

Don't take it personal.
Muchups

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

If we're simply comparing those two players, Smith and Salamone seem like they'll both be unlikely to be major rotation pieces based on the current roster construction and their age, though Salamone is probably more likely since he's younger.

Smith fills the big bodied WR niche that Miller currently occupies, so if Miller goes down and Foray isn't ready, we may see him.

Salamone is stuck lower on the depth chart, but with a big senior class graduating there's a chance he gets some rotation time in the 2020 season if the staff doesn't recruit over his head with either insanely talented true freshman (I can't remember the last frosh to play significant minutes on the DL at Maine) or JUCO/transfer players (I'd bet they take at least one upper class player on the DL in next year's class)
UMaineSuperfan

Postby fafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Muchups wrote:

Why would you say a kid would never play when they have 2 yrs of eligibility left?
Plus knowing this player and how hard he works and he is behind Miller on the depth chart I hoping he sees reps this season.
fafan

Postby BearDown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm

The "fafan" handle makes sense now.
BearDown

Postby Blind Zebra » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 am

Maine has added Zachary Reed, 6’5 325 lb OL out of Scarborough, ME.
Blind Zebra

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Kicker Cameron Carson has also signed his NLI.
UMaineSuperfan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics