Maine men BB home to Fordam & women at Harvard on Tues.

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men BB home to Fordam & women at Harvard on Tues.

Postby Uconnball » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 am

I am still waiting for Cim to say something good, just one thing, about the men's win last night. Come on, you can do it.
Uconnball

Postby fafan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:So what you're saying is that you missed the single biggest adjustment made in either game: Harvard's coach switching up defenses to mirror #11 on Millan all game after she went off in the first quarter?

Harvard's coach was 100% not outcoached during that game; in fact, they made the most important adjustment! It's not Harvard's coach's fault that her post player had happy feet all game and cost them a ton of points or that her players couldn't rebound despite height advantages.

When teams go to "mirroring" I don't know why we wouldn't put one of our two big girls in and back screen that defensive person to death. After running into a wall a couple of times the defender will back off. It certainly worked for Harvard defensively and was surprised to see Milan take some bad shots a couple of possessions in a row because of it.
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Uconnball wrote:I am still waiting for Cim to say something good, just one thing, about the men's win last night. Come on, you can do it.

"Uconnball": I guess you haven't read my MBR write up of the game last night as I listed 8 POSITIVES and only 3 negatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted the write up last night @ 11:34pm.

YOU DIDN'T SCROLL DOWN FAR ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entitled: "Maine men get first win of season beat Fordham in Double OT!
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

thebam wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
thebam wrote:2 wins!! The Men finally get over the hump!!!!! Anyone who has been watching could see this coming. It was just a matter of time!!!! Big time performance. The Women just continue to roll. Great night to be a Black Bear Fan!

A couple of awesome wins tonight! I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone. :)

Last year's team would not have won this game. Zero chance.
There's no way of knowing for sure so that's just total speculation. That being said it was a good first win for Barron and the team over what at least appears to be a decent Fordham team. Hopefully it's something they can and will build on and not a fluke. Afterall, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
mario_spaghettio

Postby thebam » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Last year's team would not have won this game. Zero chance.
There's no way of knowing for sure so that's just total speculation. That being said it was a good first win for Barron and the team over what at least appears to be a decent Fordham team. Hopefully it's something they can and will build on and not a fluke. Afterall, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
It's not speculation when I witnessed both teams , with my own eyes. Spent time with both teams. Spent time with both coaches. Again, I encourage you to actually attend some games. Spend some time with the coaches. Spend some time with the players. Then you wouldn't look so moronic with some of this drivel.
thebam

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

thebam wrote:Last year's team would not have won this game. Zero chance.
It's not speculation when I witnessed both teams , with my own eyes. Spent time with both teams. Spent time with both coaches. Again, I encourage you to actually attend some games. Spend some time with the coaches. Spend some time with the players. Then you wouldn't look so moronic with some of this drivel.
a lucky bounce one way or another can be the difference in these overtime games so I disagree that they would have definitely lost this game last year. They could have lost this one and been no less of a team. We'll see how they fare as the season goes.
mario_spaghettio

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:45 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:
thebam wrote:Last year's team would not have won this game. Zero chance.
a lucky bounce one way or another can be the difference in these overtime games so I disagree that they would have definitely lost this game last year. They could have lost this one and been no less of a team. We'll see how they fare as the season goes.

"mario": That also goes for the two other losses that Maine had in overtime against North Texas and St. Peters both on the road. The 3rd OT was at least at home and also, the "Third time never fails" so some say.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 am

This is pretty late since I'm just back today from 12-day trip that began at Navy tournament and ended last night at Harvard. I saw three of the four wins on this road trip, missing only UNC. Also visited sister in Wisconsin and attended Christmas at Luther (College) concert in Iowa. Got off the train at Albany yesterday at 3:30 and drove to Harvard, arriving just in time for the anthem.

At Annapolis, Maine was even more undersized than usual, especially without Fanny and Maeve. Counting just the players who got into the game for each team, Maine averaged 2.5 inches shorter than NC A&T and 3 inches shorter than Penn.

A&T lost the first game on turnovers. Maine scored 23 on 23 Aggie TOs, while A&T scored only 12 on Maine's 17 TOs. Aggies also squandered a huge advantage on the boards, scoring only seven second chance points on 12 offensive boards to Maine's six on eight ORBs. Aggies are very young and lacked a real court leader around whom to organize the offense. Coach was trying all sorts of combinations to find a cohesive unit, but he didn't have that glue player to pull it all together.

Big takeaway from this was Maine's grittiness, which showed that the great effort against Duke was no fluke. Maine was opportunistic and balanced. A&T couldn't figure out who from Maine was going to hurt them next. Kelly dropped two treys in the fourth that went a long way toward sealing the deal. It seemed during the game that neither team was shooting well, yet both ended up near 43 percent.

Next afternoon, Penn had 12 six-footers on its roster of 18. But Stephanie Pemper, the Navy coach who took Bowdoin to the NCAA championship game in 2004, had told the local paper that Penn didn't like to run and jump a lot. She was dead on. Penn was not very athletic. Seemed its best team on the floor had only one six-footer. The Penn coach got a warning from officials, but I didn't hear what he said, and Kira took an elbow in the eye from Penn's high scorer, Parker. It looked like the flagrant call came during the dead ball after a Penn basket. Dor hit both shots on the flagrant call, after Kira had to leave the game.

Maine led most of the first quarter but fell behind and never got the lead back until the final minute or so of the fourth. Maine shot only 30 percent, Penn 34. With better shooting, Maine could have spread Penn more, and the difference in athleticism would have been noticeable. Again, though, Maine was opportunistic, scoring 15 off 20 Penn turnovers to Penn's two. And, Maine had what must be a season low eight TOs.

Penn, by the way, shot nearly 50 percent on twos (15 for 31) but still lost. Win by the two, lose by the two.

I don't know if I have ever seen two players do a better job of avoiding their fifth fouls than Tanesha and Blanca did at Navy. Each had four fouls in each game, neither fouled out. And, look at the stat sheet. Tanesha, especially, filled it right out as usual. She had a great tournament.

Both A&T and Penn were young. In fact, of the four teams, Maine started the most experienced with three seniors, a junior and a sophomore.

As basketball, the Harvard game was the best of the three. Maine twice got the lead up to 12, but couldn't quite put away the Crimson. Big takeaway is that the players are dog tired. Blanca's wild shots in the fourth looked like she had thrown them up because she didn't have the energy to shake and bake or even step into a long two. Tanesha had a hard time finishing, and it looked to me like for the same reason. Tired. She might not have been in foul trouble if she hadn't been tired. And, they're going into finals next week.

With T and Blanca worn out, I was surprised the Harvard coach didn't try fouling them instead of Dor. Tiredness often shows up first at the free throw line. So, put a trap on Dor and when she has to pass to someone else, foul the someone else. Dor hit 11 of 12 FTs in the fourth quarter. Oddly, the Harvard player who seemed to come up with the big basket time and again, Sydney Stephens, missed her first five free throws in the fourth quarter. Hit only the sixth.

Not to make excuses, but the players went to Green Bay on Nov. 19, got beat on Nov. 20, flew to Baltimore for the tournament at Navy, came home the night of Nov. 25. Seven nights in hotels. Then, off to UNC on Dec. 2 and right back to Harvard for Dec. 4. Lots of running in the UNC game, and I imagine that the Tar Heels didn't sit back and let Maine shoot at will. ACC teams tend to be big and fast. And, in the five games Fanny has missed, someone else had to play her minutes. Dor has played 120 minutes in the past three games and Blanca has played 108. T would have played more against Harvard but for the foul trouble.

In the second half at Harvard, starters looked beat, but they kept getting a pickup from somewhere. Just when you need it most, Parise or Maddy or Kelly or Kira or Maeve comes up with a bucket, steal or rebound. In fact, Parise had 19 boards in the three games I saw and was leading rebounder against Harvard last night with eight. She got Maine's first five boards against Penn, when Penn had its tallest team on the court.

One Maine fan last night told me, "This team isn't afraid of anybody." I believe he's correct, and Maine wasn't always that tough. After the game, I heard a Harvard fan tell his buddy, "Maine's a good team. It beat Penn." I interjected, "And it beat North Carolina." "Oh, yeah," the Harvard guy said, "that too." The Harvard world in this guy's mind seemed to extend only to the Ivy League.

Did anyone expect Maine to be 6-2 at this stage? Especially with Fanny out for five games? And Maeve for two?
Only home game left before the AE season is Saturday at 1 p.m. against Brown. Still to come are NC State, 9-0 (Dec. 15), and Northeastern, 8-0 (Dec. 22), Fordham, 5-5 (Dec. 29) with a win over Washington, and either Chattanooga, 3-6 against DI, or Middle Tennessee, 7-2, (Dec. 30 at Fordham) . Something like 9-4 going into AE schedule seems doable. Only NC State seems unbeatable. So did UNC.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 am

turkeyman wrote:This is pretty late since I'm just back today from 12-day trip that began at Navy tournament and ended last night at Harvard. I saw three of the four wins on this road trip, missing only UNC. Also visited sister in Wisconsin and attended Christmas at Luther (College) concert in Iowa. Got off the train at Albany yesterday at 3:30 and drove to Harvard, arriving just in time for the anthem.

At Annapolis, Maine was even more undersized than usual, especially without Fanny and Maeve. Counting just the players who got into the game for each team, Maine averaged 2.5 inches shorter than NC A&T and 3 inches shorter than Penn.

A&T lost the first game on turnovers. Maine scores 23 on 23 Aggie TOs, while A&T scored only 12 on Maine's 17 TOs. Aggies also squandered a huge advantage on the boards, scoring only seven second chance points on 12 offensive boards to Maine's six on eight ORBs. Aggies are very young and lacked a real court leader around whom to organize the offense. Coach was trying all sorts of combinations to find a cohesive unit, but he didn't have that glue player to pull it all together.

Big takeaway from this was Maine's grittiness, which showed that the great effort against Duke was no fluke. Maine was opportunistic and balanced. A&T couldn't figure out who from Maine was going to hurt them next. Kelly dropped two treys in the fourth that went a long way toward sealing the deal. Its seemed during the game that neither team was shooting well, yet both ended up near 43 percent.

Next afternoon, Penn had 12 six-footers on its roster of 18. But Stephanie Pemper, the Navy coach who took Bowdoin to the NCAA championship game in 2004, had told the local paper that Penn didn't like to run and jump a lot. She was dead on. Penn was not very athletic. Seemed its best team on the floor had only one six-footer. The Penn coach got a warning from officials, but I didn't hear what he said, and Kira took an elbow in the eye from Penn's high scorer, Parker, and had to leave the game. It looked like the flagrant call came during the dead ball after a Penn basket. Dor hit both shots on the flagrant call, after Kira had to leave the game.

Maine led most of the first quarter but fell behind and never got the lead back until the final minute or so of the fourth. Maine shot only 30 percent, Penn 34. With better shooting, Maine could have spread Penn more, and the different in athleticism would have been noticeable. Again, though, Maine was opportunistic, scoring 15 off 20 Penn turnovers to Penn's two. And, Maine had what must be a season low eight TOs.

Penn, by the way, shot nearly 50 percent on twos (15 for 31) but still lost. Win by the two, lose by the two.

I don't know if I have every seen two players do a better job of avoiding their fifth fouls than Tanesha and Blanca did at Navy. Each had four fouls in each game, neither fouled out. And, look at the stat sheet. Tanesha, especially, filled it right out as usual. She had a great tournament.

Both A&T and Penn were young. In fact, of the four teams, Maine started the most experienced with three seniors, a junior and a sophomore.

As basketball, the Harvard game was the best of the three. Maine twice got the lead up to 12, but couldn't quite put away the Crimson. Big takeaway is that the players are dog tired. Blanca's wild shots in the fourth looked like she had thrown them up because she didn't have the energy to shake and bake or even step into a long two. Tanesha had a hard time finishing, and it looked to me like for the same reason. Tired. She might not have been in foul trouble if she hadn't been tired. And, they're going into finals next week.

With T and Blanca worn out, I was surprised the Harvard coach didn't try fouling them instead of Dor. Tiredness often shows up first at the free throw line. So, put a trap on Dor and when she has to pass to someone else, foul the someone else. Dor hit 11 of 12 FTs in the fourth quarter. Oddly, the Harvard player who seemed to come up with the big basket time and again, Sydney Stephens, missed her first five free throws in the fourth quarter. Hit only the sixth.

Not to make excuses, but the players went to Green Bay on Nov. 19, got beat on Nov. 20, flew to Baltimore for the tournament at Navy, came home the night of Nov. 25. Six nights in hotels. Then, off to UNC on Dec. 2 and right back to Harvard for Dec. 4. Lots of running in the UNC game, and I imagine that the Tar Heels didn't sit back and let Maine shoot at will. ACC teams tend to be big and fast. And, in the five games Fanny has missed, someone else had to play her minutes. Dor has played 120 minutes in the past three games and Blanca has played 108. T would have played more against Harvard but for the foul trouble.

In the second half at Harvard, starters looked beat, but they kept getting a pickup from somewhere. Just when you need it most, Parise or Maddy or Kelly or Kira or Maeve comes up with a bucket, steal or rebound. In fact, Parise had 19 boards in the three games I saw and was leading rebounder against Harvard last night with eight. She got Maine's first five boards against Penn, when Penn had its tallest team on the court.

One Maine fan last night told me, "This team isn't afraid of anybody." I believe he's correct, and Maine wans't always that tough. After the game, I heard a Harvard fan tell his buddy, "Maine's a good team. It beat Penn." I interjected, "And it beat North Carolina." "Oh, yeah," the Harvard guy said, "that too." The Harvard world in this guy's mind seemed to extend only to the Ivy League.

Did anyone expect Maine to be 6-2 at this stage? Especially with Fanny out for five games? And Maeve for two?
Only home game left before the AE season is Saturday at 1 p.m. Still to come are NC State, 8-0 (Dec. 15), and Northeastern, 7-0 (Dec. 22), Fordham, 5-5 (Dec. 29) with a win over Washington, and either Chattanooga, 3-6 against DI, or Middle Tennessee, 7-2, (Dec. 30 at Fordham) . Something like 9-4 going into AE schedule seems doable. Only NC State seems unbeatable. So did UNC.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Great to have you back here on MBR with your Maine women's analyses. Big effort on your part to follow the Maine women on their extended road trip(s). Outstanding game reports and insight.

I thought Coach Vachon also out coached the other coaches in their big wins especially in the North Carolina game.. Great half time adjustments and also great adjustments with Wadling missing so long.

Opponents on the road trip certainly did not take advantage when they had a size advantage on Maine.

Certainly agree with you about fouling Saar so much. If they double team trap her and then when she picked up here dribble have the tallest of the two defenders stay on her and have the other drop back to defend this would put her in a tough position to see over the taller defender and if she did make a successful play out of the trap then foul somebody else immediately. When the other coach that Saar was not the one too foul, it was way to late and your point about Sutton and Millan being tired was an excellent point. Once the legs go, many times so does the shooting even the foul shooting.

Thought the key to Maine's wins without Wadling has been Maine's 2-3 match
up zone and their man to man defense and the opponents not taking advantage of posting up the smaller Maine players on the block.

Glad to have you back here on MBR.

CIM
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics