Alfond rumor

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Alfond rumor

Postby Linguist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 am

At the Maine/JSU playoff game Saturday I heard in a conversation, there are plans to build a new Alfond Arena for hockey. Whether it will be Alfond or another donor name I don't know, but there would be another hockey arena built on campus. I understood it to be behind the north end zone of Morse Field.

Has anyone else heard this or was the person I heard talking full of too many 9am beers?
Linguist

Re: Alfond rumor

Postby fafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 am

I have heard this same rumor but nothing definitive as far as plans go. On the friends of UMaine hockey site just discussion saying we need to do something but again no plan.
fafan

Postby dunbar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 am

Linguist wrote:At the Maine/JSU playoff game Saturday I heard in a conversation, there are plans to build a new Alfond Arena for hockey. Whether it will be Alfond or another donor name I don't know, but there would be another hockey arena built on campus. I understood it to be behind the north end zone of Morse Field.

Has anyone else heard this or was the person I heard talking full of too many 9am beers?

We had a couple of civil engineering capstone groups do feasibility studies a couple of years ago. It's definitely been talked about, and we have the AD right now to make it happen.

It would be really stupid not to make it a multipurpose facility, though. Alfond was built without basketball in mind. Any modern building is designed for both, even the Cross Center, whose floor, even with all the seats pulled out, is 200x85.

It's time.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:35 am

I think that a new facility for hockey only is the way to go. I'll believe it when I see it but that does sound like the right place to build it. Hopefully, they would also be able to incorporate some stuff that would benefit football as well (locker rooms, weight room, offices, luxury boxes overlooking field).
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am

mainejeff wrote:I think that a new facility for hockey only is the way to go. I'll believe it when I see it but that does sound like the right place to build it. Hopefully, they would also be able to incorporate some stuff that would benefit football as well (locker rooms, weight room, offices, luxury boxes overlooking field).

Build a new track/soccer facility as well, then the new arena could have new locker room space for that facility and football as well.

The current track is awful. It's like they've been letting cleats walk over it for 20 years or something...
dunbar

Postby maine612 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 am

If they do build a new track, get rid of the current one and move stands close to the field...another remodel.

maine612

Postby dunbar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am

maine612 wrote:If they do build a new track, get rid of the current one and move stands close to the field...another remodel.

The average distance from the sideline to the stands in the NFL is 55 feet. The west stands (1998) are about 60 feet away, but at least those stands are steeper than most. The east stands (1996) are about 80 feet away but much shallower. Quite frankly, the turf needs to be replaced ASAP any field realignment would be contingent on that.

For comparsions sake, the stands at Wildcat Stadium down at Strafford County Community College are 80 and 105 feet away.

So just remember, it could be worse, we could be New Hampshire.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 am

maine612 wrote:If they do build a new track, get rid of the current one and move stands close to the field...another remodel.

Amen to that. Ditch the track and renovate the lower portion of the West Stands to bring them closer to the field. It would decrease the pitch but increase capacity. Maybe do a few more sections of chairbacks (increased revenue and more comfort for the fans!). Also move the east stands closer to the field as well.
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:13 pm

So without revamping the entire athletic end of campus and a new soccer facility (yes needed) a new track (yes needed).

What are the chances there is a new Alfond coming?

Wasn't there a plan/rumor about 7-8 years ago about building a new hockey only facility near the steam plant? Someone had ponied up most of the cash, but it seems like there was a snag in that plan, and I don't remember what it was.

Is this the next location/step in that process?
Linguist

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics