SMAA makes great point For Friday UMaine FB vs. HS BB Start!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

SMAA makes great point For Friday UMaine FB vs. HS BB Start!

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:02 pm

SMAA makes a great point ON HIS POST in that on this Friday, December 7th, when UMaine Football team is on TV for their playoff game with Weber State the start of the regular 2018-19 high school basketball season take away from those that would watch the football game on TV if it was not for high school basketball season starting all over the state.

What do you think? Which gets watched the most. Maine Football game on TV or all the high school basketball games played on Friday night December 7th, 2018?.

TO ME IT IS A NO-BRAINER AS SMAA STATES MAINE IS A BASKETBALL STATE ALWAYS BEEN A BASKETBALL AND ALWAYS WILL BE A BASKETBALL STATE FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL THROUGH TO THE NBA.

Too bad Maine football playoff quarter-final game isn't Saturday or that high school basketball started on Saturday then fans could watch both and not have to make a choice.

WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHICH DO YOU THINK WILL BE WATCHED MORE MAINE FB PLAYOFF GAME OF HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL FRIDAY NIGHT???????????????????????

My thoughts are more fans will watch high school basketball Friday night then will watch the Maine football game.

The Bangor High School Rams basketball varsity is at Lewiston so unless that game is streamed on line I will be watching the Maine Football game on ESPN2 on TV. If the Bangor game is streamed (which I don' believe it will be) I could watch the Bangor game with my left eye and the Maine FB game with my right eye.

Tough decision for true Maine FB fans and true high school basketball fans of their local high school basketball teams.
bcbc55

Re: SMAA makes great point For Friday UMaine FB vs. HS BB St

Postby dunbar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 pm

This is an absolutely asinine debate. A national quarterfinal is of so much more importance than opening night of high school basketball.

Besides, Maine plays at 8pm EST. You can watch both.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 am

dunbar wrote:This is an absolutely asinine debate. A national quarterfinal is of so much more importance than opening night of high school basketball.

Besides, Maine plays at 8pm EST. You can watch both.

"dunbar": How are you doing? This thread may be asinine to you but people do have the right to feel different then you or me. To me it is just "different strokes for different folks" or "what floats others boats may not float my boas"!

I would prefer to watch basketball ahead of late October and November's cold weather sports .Field Hockey, Ice Hockey and Soccer are cold weather playoff sports and are also boring with low scoring. Don;t care for sports that a team can out play the other but lose 1-0 because of a lucky goal.

Besides not real fired up about a game that is played with a 2 ended pointed ball that when it hits the surface you have no idea which direction it is going to bounce and it is a different game in November then it is in September because of the weather. Don't like a game where the weather can bring good and poorer teams closer together because of field conditions.

Basketball maybe played in winter but the gyms are usually warm.

If the Bangor Boys had had a home basketball game this coming Friday I would have gone to that game and then came quickly home and catch the second half of the Maine playoff game. But seeing Bangor is at Lewiston then I will watch the Maine football game at 8:00pm.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 am

This game will be on until 11;30pm. What time do high school basketball games end? :roll:

This really is a dumb thread with a CAPITAL D. :oops:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm

mainejeff wrote:This game will be on until 11;30pm. What time do high school basketball games end? :roll:

This really is a dumb thread with a CAPITAL D. :oops:

"mainejeff": Most Maine varsity high school basketball games are scheduled to start at 7:00pm and usually end by 9:00pm or earlier.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 pm

So most people will be home by 9....see the last part of the first half and the entire second half. What's the problem?
mainejeff

Postby Muchups » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm

We get it. You don't like football.
Muchups

Postby Bulldog Pride » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Excellent post. I know that there are way more H S basketball fans than there are UMaine football fans. I know a lot of people who are real big NFL fans but they could care less about UMaine football. As to why I really don't know it's just the way it is. I really hope Maine gets the win and keeps it going I would truly love to see them go all the way, but trying to take H S basketball fans away from their game is not going to work.
Bulldog Pride

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Bulldog Pride wrote:Excellent post. I know that there are way more H S basketball fans than there are UMaine football fans. I know a lot of people who are real big NFL fans but they could care less about UMaine football. As to why I really don't know it's just the way it is. I really hope Maine gets the win and keeps it going I would truly love to see them go all the way, but trying to take H S basketball fans away from their game is not going to work.

"Bulldog Pride": When I was an AD for 16 years 5 at Bangor and 11 at John Bapst I attended all home events. Did not enjoy football, soccer or field hockey because it got colder as the season progressed. Didn't like soccer and FH or ice hockey (sides being cold in the arena) because they were low scoring. Spring sports started cold but got warmer as the season progressed. Did';t have to go to ice hockey games in the winter because I was coaching basketball so I had a separate person as the on site supervisor for ice hockey.

Football concerned me because couldn't get excited about a game that was played with a 2 ended point ball that when it hit the playing surface on kicks or fumbles you never knew what direction it would bounce for you or against you.

"Just different sports strokes for different sports folks".
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Bulldog Pride wrote:Excellent post. I know that there are way more H S basketball fans than there are UMaine football fans. I know a lot of people who are real big NFL fans but they could care less about UMaine football. As to why I really don't know it's just the way it is. I really hope Maine gets the win and keeps it going I would truly love to see them go all the way, but trying to take H S basketball fans away from their game is not going to work.

Who is "trying to take HS basketball fans away from their game".....????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously....this thread is truly bizarre and F stupid. I don't give a flying F what HS basketball fans in Maine are doing on Friday night!....and I really don't think that anyone else besides a few really bored and bitter people on this board care either.
mainejeff

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics