Oakes: Maine football team deserves more fan support

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Oakes: Maine football team deserves more fan support

Postby MattyB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Kalle Oakes says that the UMaine football team deserves more fan support: https://t.co/5u6vjv1Adt

One of my favorite sports movies to quote out of context on an almost daily basis is the 1989 comedic masterpiece “Major League.”

Everybody’s favorite .200 lifetime hitter, Bob Uecker, stars as Harry Doyle, the increasingly intoxicated, FCC-boundary-pushing radio announcer for the Cleveland Indians.

His list of zingers in the film is a mile long, but near the top of the rotation is a moment in which he trolls disloyal members of the fan base.

“In case you haven’t noticed — and judging by the attendance, you haven’t — the Indians have managed to win a few ball games, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.”

At the risk of mixing metaphors and selling short a much more significant accomplishment, allow me to paraphrase.

I don’t know if you received the memo, but based on too much empty space surrounding Morse Field at Alfond Stadium, you didn’t: The University of Maine football team is in the FCS national quarterfinals.

http://www.sunjournal.com/the-hot-corne ... n-support/
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Re: Oakes: Maine football team deserves more fan support

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Yep 6145 just doesn't cut it for attendance but it is on campus. Hearty fans to be sure....

No expert but I have already made my point on this matter. I am staying out of this conversation...
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 am

Doesn't that Oakes gal live in Kentucky now?
mainejeff

Postby CFJunior » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 am

I 100% agree with Kalle on this one. It is disappointing to say the least that so many people stayed away on Saturday, especially since it was likely going to be Maine's last home game of the season. And as we saw all of the national seeds won at home this weekend. Looks like the selection committee got it right with their selection of the national seeds.

Maine football has always stuggled with attendence, and the falling population base in the greater Bangor area doesn't help. And no the flagship University shouldn't be in Portland or Augusta. I have zero issue traveling to see the Bears playing in Portland and have done so many times. Southern Maine Black Bear fans are the ones who refuse to travel outside of 30 miles from their home. Attendence at high school basketball games during tourney week is a clear example of that. Eastern and Northern Maine fans are way more loyal, but we are thinning herd, and that is an unfortunate fact.
Last edited by CFJunior on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFJunior

Postby fafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am

I always liked his articles but living in Kentucky and writing about attendance at a UMaine where he has no knowledge but the boxscore is just plain wrong. Attendance at UMaine football is almost double where it was 5 years ago. As anyone who was at the game would attest to although smaller than average this year this was by far the loudest crowd. The JSU band, mascot and flag bearers really help bring out the best of the Maine crowd. The UNH crowd of 7,995 was not bad either in 2013.
UMaine football in November used to be less than 1-2k people in the stands it is at least is in the 4-5K now. It's funny to talk to S.Maine fans and they see how much fun the pregame festivities with the band, dance team and the march of the team that just adds to the experience as it is way more than just the game. A lot people have no idea as pregame experience has been much improved in the past 5 years. The price of the ticket does not need to go up anymore as it has doubled as well.
Would it have been better to have a larger crowd- most definitely but would anyone say that there was not a definite home crowd advantage, YES there was!!!
GO BLUE!
Last edited by fafan on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 am

This is a drum that Ms. Oakes keeps beating from her home in Kentucky. It's a bit of a bizarre obsession IMO. I realize that she used to write for the Lewiston Sun Journal, but come on. There must be something to write about in Kentucky? :roll: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am

According to Weber state before they were just over 8000 and they are a 2 seed. Would be great to have more fans. Not really a football culture here. Maine has done fantastic!!
hoopsisme

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:13 pm

So...I have seen the pictures from the game. If it weren't for a pre-ordered lift ticket at Sugarloaf, I would have been there myself. There were more than 6,125 fans at the game. Student section looked packed. GO UMAINE!
thedude

Postby thebam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am

Doesn't matter if the writer is from Maine, Kentucky or the moon.. The message is spot on. Taking nothing away from the atmosphere that was present at the game, there should have been way more people there for this historic victory. It continues to be a black eye.
thebam

Postby maine612 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am

What did Kalle do to you MJ? Gee whiz.

maine612

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics