WEEK 15: Maine at Weber State

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Weber State Blog

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Just in case y'all want to chat with some Arrogant Overconfident Weber State Fans

This is their blog

https://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewforum.php?f=3

They seem to feel the trip out as well as the altitude will have a devastating affect on Maine in the 2nd half of the game. I just say let them play it on the field...we shall see who is the better team...
basketball_guy

Re: WEEK 15: Maine at Weber State

Postby BearDown » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 pm

@basketball_guy I've seen your posts all week saying 'let them play it out...we don't determine the game the players do' yada yada...but you're the biggest pot stirrer there is on their forums (and jax state last week). You sound like a total doofus in your posts and it's clear you don't know a lot about either team -including our own somehow??

Maybe someday you'll get your candlelit dinner with the Elon recruiting coordinator...

Beat the Wildcats!
BearDown

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Yea I stir things up...but so what.... :lol:

I think the problem with this thread right now is there are not a lot of people here who
know an awful lot about Weber State. I work out here and have seen them play down at
SLO (San Luis Obispo) and I have seen U.C. Davis play as well. You are correct I have not seen
Maine play but then again I don't get back every week either...but I do follow them as much as
possible...and I also attended Maine as well. I guess I am entitled to discuss Maine as much as anyone
else here.

I would refrain from the insults...save them for Weber State...I am staying out of the name calling
business.
basketball_guy

Postby BearDown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 am

@basketball_guy Point taken on the name calling. My bad.

Beat the Wildcats!!
BearDown

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 am

Look I talk Smack...sometimes too much so.. Weber State is good but in the two games
I had seen against CAl- San Luis Obispo and Sacramento State I admit being impressed by their QB.
But that being said when other teams blitzed him he had a tendency to fold a bit or he would fumble.
Weber did not play their best game against SLO and frankly they did not play well against Sacramento State
in Utah either, but they did win and they are 10-2 and they did not get to these playoffs by mistake...

They won 24-17 at Cal Poly but they were outplayed in the second half and stayed even with Weber State and
you are talking about a team in CAl Poly that is 5-6 this year.

I admit to not knowing a lot about Offensive schemes on the passing side but it seems like Weber sends out about
5 Wide recievers at times, their offense is spread. (I admit to not being an expert on offensive schemes). They strike quickly on the long ball, and this Zach Davis at running back is quite good. Can Maine stop him? Yes, I think they can bottle him up a bit if he keeps running up the middle as he did against CAL Poly.

All that being said Maine can win this, if they don't make unnecessary mistakes (like these nutty penalties they seem to get called on). But your right I have not seen Maine play in person, I can tell you more about U.C. Davis this year and Sacramento State and to an extent Weber State (but I have only seen them play twice so I am no expert).

The team Maine does not want to play is EWU (Eastern Washingon University) and I hope somehow U.C. Davis can dispose of them in the event Maine does beat Weber State...

But again it is won or lost on the field, not on these blogs..but I do love to comment...
basketball_guy

Postby BearDown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am

@basketball_guy I'm with you on avoiding unnecessary mistakes -especially the penalties.

I think we had 4 unsportsmanlike calls last week alone (Ernie, #88 on a kickoff, Kayon Whitaker ran someone over after a play; which was bogus; and #18 Oregon on the DLine). Weber looked to be a chippy team watching their game last week and my fear is this could turn into another Rhody type game in terms of flags.

Ernest especially concerns me because now that we're in prime time I can just see him doing something to draw a 15 yd penalty -he just can't help himself. I gotta admit though...his swagger is winning me over against my better judgement and I'm kinda digging it...helps give us an edge - and I'm tormented by this line of thought. Just hope he doesn't cost us.

It is imperative to keep Ferg healthy. The hits he took vs Richmond and Elon that knocked him out we're not at all super violent. With all the pressure Weber brings it will be tough to keep him upright all game...and if he gets knocked out it's game over.

Look, this is a simple and basic 'homer' take...We could be playing in Timbuktu and it wouldn't matter -if Ferg is healthy, we don't have dumb penalties, and special teams is solid we win the game. Our D is playing lights out and our running game is trending in the right direction at just the perfect time.

And we have Doak.

Maine - 27
Weber St - 24

Beat the Wildcats!
BearDown

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 am

Weber has an opportunistic defense, They put pressure on the opposing QB and eventually he throws an interception or he fumbles...kind of like Maines defense. One thing I liked about last weeks Maine game against JSU is the offensive line did a great job keeping the pressure off Fergie. I have to say this I don't think Webers defensive line is a good match up against Maines offensive line...I don't see them getting to Fergie as much and with less pressure I think he can pick apart their secondary. The offensive line has got to do as good a job against Weber as they did against JSU. But that is where the game will be won or lost to an extent and your right Fergie has got to stay injury free...
But Weber had problems with SLO down there and SLO could have won that game honestly had a few breaks gone their way. A break out run by Jefferson or a couple long balls for TD;s and Maine will be on their way. In general it seems like BSC conference is an airborne conference except for EWU. Man those guys are just tough.
I want Maine to win, if they stay penalty free and get the score up early...that is exactly what they need to do...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am

"basketball_guy": For a basketball guy you sure know a lot about football then this basketball guy.

Excellent, timely, interesting and informative scouting report on Weber State.

I'm not much of a two ended ball fan as nobody really knows how that 2 ended pointed ball is going to bounce when it hits the surface on a kickoff, punt or a fumble.

I do like it better than soccer and the 2 hockies field and ice.

Very glad you have stuck with it here on MBR. I enjoy your posts.

CIM/bcbc55
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:50 am

Well my grandfather was an All-American football player under the legendary Pop Warner.
The FCS is pretty strong out West....and the Big Sky Conference is somewhat comparable to the CAA.
I would follow Maines basketball program but without Bob Simon I know very little about Maine's basketball
program anymore and even though I was on the JV team there for 10 games that does not say much about my
Maine experience. But the Maine job should be a coveted job I would think. I just don't get it...hopefully Barron
can get things turned around soon..

I am much more impressed with U.C. Davis but that is because I have seen them play and they were rated 9th in the preseason. They have been much like Maine in the CAA this year and I always like the underdog.

The ironic thing is if Maine beats Weber State and U.C. Davis somehow beats EWU up there this weekend then Maine plays U.C. Davis here in Sacramento I believe...which would be great.

But will see...never count your chickens before they hatch...so to speak...
basketball_guy

Postby wings » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 am

dunbar wrote:No excuse for any TV in this state not to be tuned into ESPN2 on Friday. Not only that, but it's the only college football game that night. Great exposure for this program and University.

Second that dunbar. Gonna be sweet watching Black Bears on HD in Primetime.
wings

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics