Princeton Men 73 Maine men 59

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Princeton Men 73 Maine men 59

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 pm

FIRST HALF: Maine still shooting poorly. 11 for 31 from the floor, 35'5% 3 for 12 for 3's 25% and 0 for 0 from the line and have taken 12 of their 31 FGA's as 3's for 38.7% and they are playing at home. Meanwhile Princeton is red hot from beyond the arc 8 for 14 for 57.1%, 12 of 23 from the floor 52'2% and 4 for 8 from the charity stripe for 50% and have taken 14 of their 23 FGA's as 3's for 60.9% and they are on the road. White has 15 for Maine only Bear in double figures.
Turnovers Maine 8 and Tigers 9.
Hope for better shooting half for Maine in the 2nd half

SECOND HALF: Princeton outscores Maine 37-34.

Maine shoots better in second half but not enough to overcome the big 20-28 from the foul line for the Tigers while Maine only went to the line once in the entire game going 0-2. Maine out scored the Tigers from the floor 59-53.

Game stats..FGA...FGM...FG%...3A...3M...3%......FSA...FSM...FS%...Reb...Asst...TO...PF...%3 of FGA
Maine..........59.....26....44.1%..26...7....26.9%.....2.....0.....00%....30.....19....14...17...26-59 44%
Princeton......48....21....46.7%..22...11...50%.......28...20.....71.4%..32....14....13...10...22-48 45.9%

White and Fleming each had 19 for Maine and each had 3 3's.
For Princeton Cannady was outstanding scoring 28 on 7 for 10 from the floor, 5 for 8 for 3's and 9-9 from the line.

Maine continues to seem to have the same problems that they have had all season so far. It is like that old adage, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, basketball insanity that is. Overuse and abuse of the 3 when they are not shooting 30% ,not defending the 3 well as the Tigers went 11-22 for 50%, Maine not getting to the foul line enough, giving up 74 points a game as Maine was averaging 74 a game defensively and tonight they gave up 73 to Princeton.

Shooting below 30% for 3's, taking to many 3's for shooting under 30%.

They only got to the foul line once for the entire game and did not make a foul shot in 40 minutes of play. They seem to be too be too willing to put up shots without taking the ball to the basket and/or going inside either to put pressure on the defense.

Interesting stat. Despite not getting to the foul line Maine out scored the Tigers 36 to 18 in the paint.

To many minutes for players as Fleming played all 40 minutes, White 36 and Ilija S. and Moss 34 each, Larsson 29, Darwich 21 and Maine only used 7 players and one of them Eze only got 3 minutes of the bench.

Maine is now 0-7 and look for their first win on Saturday as they travel to New Jersey to take on St. Peters at 3:00pm.
bcbc55

Re: Princeton Men 73 Maine men 59

Postby aechamps » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:26 am

Can someone tell me what the positives are on this team wright now?? Is there only 7 or 8 kids that are healthy enough to play?? This has to be one of the worst starts in history for a UMaine basketball team. Im not believing in the system at this point. At the amount of kids they brought in this year we should be playing better then this and having a few more options off the bench.
aechamps

Postby Linguist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

1 - bcbc55 - Are you really complaining about the minutes? Aren't you the one for 4 years who harped on Walsh for playing too many players not enough minutes? Now the rotation is tightened down and Barron is playing his best players the bulk of the minutes and you are still unhappy? How exactly would a UMaine basketball coach please you? Let go of the grudge and stop beating the dead horse. Please bury the hatchet.

2 - AEChamps - The system is 7 games old how can you not believe in it yet? And with the amount of players brought in this year they need to learn the system and learn their teammates and coaching staff, this isn't Duke where McDonald's All-Americans are coming in, this is UMaine. What in the world after Woodward to Walsh would make you think there were any players left for Barron to turn to? And why would you think that pile of parts and pieces would be playing better than this. Time to real in those expectations.

3 - To all - This year is not based on wins and losses. This is a year to change the feel in the locker room, to get rid of some dead weight on the roster, find out who can play and who is willing to play in Barron's system. I can not foresee a way this team wins 5 games this year. This is a redshirt year for guys like Ingo and Pirjovic. I doubt we see Iluyomade and Yagodin back after the injuries and use this as a medical redshirt year for them. And we haven't seen Begic yet. So those 5 guys will be in the system for a year and come in next year along with another 3 recruits already inked. There needed to be a culture change and a roster overhaul and that is the result expected for this year. Don't count on wins, count on seeing a change in the team.
And I'll let you in on a little secret, they probably won't win 10 games next year either.

But if you want to see positives, okay here are some.

Isaiah White looks like a leader and can be the focal point of the offense, and he can be used as a display model to a recruit saying "Look what he is doing, you play his position, those minutes, those touches, those shots are yours when he leaves, and you believe you are better than him right, so imagine what you can do if you become a Black Bear"

Sergio el Darwich looks like a hustler.

Vilgot Larsson seems like he can fit it.

Terion Moss can play at this level, he needs to put on some muscle but he can play, add some experience and some weight and he can run the show as they turn the corner in his junior year.

Andrew Fleming is what Andrew Fleming is. No surprises here, he didn't regress with the coaching change, so you can plug in his 10 points and 6 rebounds a night and know it should consistently be there.

And do you want the biggest, most impactful positive? Bob Walsh and Ted Woodward are not on the coaching staff and are no longer in the state of Maine. Richard Barron will not get outcoached and outschemed in every game like in the past.
Linguist

Postby thebam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 am

The culture is vastly different. Night and Day in fact. I have witnessed it first hand. That's a great start. These guys are buying in to the process. It won't happen overnight. It's a tremendous coaching staff and there are some quality kids wearing those jersey's. I encourage everyone, if you get a chance, to try and spend some time with the kids and the coaches. You will see what I am talking about. The future is bright. I wish more fans had shown up last night, but alas I understand the fair weather nature of the fan base. Like the culture of this team, maybe some day that too will change.
thebam

Postby Uconnball » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 am

"1 - bcbc55 - Are you really complaining about the minutes? Aren't you the one for 4 years who harped on Walsh for playing too many players not enough minutes? Now the rotation is tightened down and Barron is playing his best players the bulk of the minutes and you are still unhappy? How exactly would a UMaine basketball coach please you? Let go of the grudge and stop beating the dead horse. Please bury the hatchet.[quote][/quote]"

Thank You.... Linguist.....Well said!!!!!
Uconnball

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 am

Isaiah White is one of my favorite UM men's basketball players ever (already). He is a fantastic player & leader. And he seems like an even better person. I wish that we could rewind the clock and make him a freshman. I would have loved to see him play with more talent around him. He is an AE Second Teamer for sure and might even be a First Teamer if the coaches can ignore that he plays for an awful team.

Terion Moss is getting great experience. Hopefully the playing time that he is receiving will be enough to keep him in Orono. He has a very good basketball IQ and is very consistent. It doesn't seem like anything gets to him which is amazing for a newly minted player right out of high school.

The attitude change and effort level is noticeable with Fleming. I would say that he has even progressed this season.

Larsson seems serviceable at the AE level. 10 PPG doesn't seem like a stretch for him and I can see him having a 20 pt game every now and then.

I am not very impressed with anyone else that has seen PT. Eze is Eze. I actually expected more from Darwich....very meh right now. Stojiljkovic....the guy puts out a frantic effort but he's just not very skilled. Antoms...bust.

Hopefully a few of the other guys that can't play will come back next season stronger, healthier and ready to contribute.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

Last night was probably the best game I’ve seen Andrew Fleming play in a Maine uniform. That was refreshing to see. He even knocked down s couple of open 3s.
Coach Barron is teaching these players a “cerebral” style of play that is quite enjoyable to watch. The off ball movement, back cuts, diagonal actions etc. The passing is already noticably better. Fleming in particular did a good job kicking the ball from the post to open shooters and found Ilija on a nice block to block pass from a double team. The improved ball movement led to several open looks from deep but Maine simply didn’t hit many of them. Moss and Larsson clanged a couple off the rim that could’ve cut the lead to single digits. They weren’t ill advised/ forced shots. They were open looks in the flow of the offense.
Maine needs to finish stronger at the basket and work to draw contact on the attack. Moss and White each blew break away layups that should’ve resulted in at least a trip to the line. That’s fixable.
The defense is a bit of a train wreck. Slow to close out on shooters and at times getting bullied inside. Giving up too many open shots in general. The help defense and rotations weren’t terrible and the effort was there.
As others have mentioned, I just prefer Barron’s coaching style. You know they are going to grow because he can actually teach and make adjustments in-game.
Blind Zebra

Postby MattyB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:21 am

mainejeff wrote:Isaiah White is one of my favorite UM men's basketball players ever (already). He is a fantastic player & leader. And he seems like an even better person. I wish that we could rewind the clock and make him a freshman. I would have loved to see him play with more talent around him. He is an AE Second Teamer for sure and might even be a First Teamer if the coaches can ignore that he plays for an awful team.

Terion Moss is getting great experience. Hopefully the playing time that he is receiving will be enough to keep him in Orono. He has a very good basketball IQ and is very consistent. It doesn't seem like anything gets to him which is amazing for a newly minted player right out of high school.

The attitude change and effort level is noticeable with Fleming. I would say that he has even progressed this season.

Larsson seems serviceable at the AE level. 10 PPG doesn't seem like a stretch for him and I can see him having a 20 pt game every now and then.

I am not very impressed with anyone else that has seen PT. Eze is Eze. I actually expected more from Darwich....very meh right now. Stojiljkovic....the guy puts out a frantic effort but he's just not very skilled. Antoms...bust.

Hopefully a few of the other guys that can't play will come back next season stronger, healthier and ready to contribute.

This was going to be a long, hard year, but it's a culture-building year. They are 4-3 against the spread...which doesn't win you games, but shows you that they will still fight and compete to stay in ballgames against more talented teams.

My concern is that White will use Orono like a Calixte or an Edwards did: a stepping stone to a bigger program.

Rome was not built in a day...and there's a lot of work left to be done after what Walsh left behind. (but he had a TREMENDOUS online presence, that matters, right? :lol: )
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby CoachA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:52 am

I agree with most everyone on here. The only exception...Moss needs to learn how to play defense. He got beat off the dribble vs Princeton all night. He was constantly chasing his player and trying to reach around after not moving his feet to get better position on the play. He showed some spurts offensively but right now he's playing defense like a true freshman. He is still getting used to players quicker than he is off the dribble. But yes, this is going to take time to build. If the players can buy into their learning process and work hard to develop all aspects of their game, I think this team can begin to win some ball games. Build it around White and Fleming but get Fleming on the block more with more touches.
CoachA

Postby CoachA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

Also...only shooting 2 free throws in a 40 minute college game is unacceptable. Not getting the ball in the paint and not attacking the basket is why that happens. You're not going to get to the line with an opportunity to stop the clock and get some free points when you don't move the ball beyond the perimeter.
CoachA

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics