Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby Linguist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 am

UMSF is correct 100% - maybe the kid just can get to that level. Maybe they just aren't good enough and got recruited solely because people believe tall makes you good at basketball.

BCBC55 - point 1 - you coached Maine high school basketball not division 1, there is a massive difference. Point 2 - having a 6'4" post player in Maine makes them big. And normally much bigger than the opponent by 2-3-4 inches depending on the class. A 6'4" big isn't big in the world of basketball so it really is a poor comparison. On the D1 level Eze is 6'9', that would be like him always going against a guy 6'6" or 6'5". I bet Eze would have a much easier time against a guy well shorter than he is. But he is facing other 6'8'-6'9" players. This isn't John Bapst taking on Mattanawcook or Central or Penquis. And Point 3 will be exhibit A - John Saucier of Orono was 7 feet tall. The boy played hoops and was an impact player in Class C by just standing there. He was terrible at basketball. But he was at minimum 8 inches taller than anyone on the floor and he was bad.

Perspective is key.
Linguist

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm

[quote="Linguist"]UMSF is correct 100% - maybe the kid just can get to that level. Maybe they just aren't good enough and got recruited solely because people believe tall makes you good at basketball.

BCBC55 - point 1 - you coached Maine high school basketball not division 1, there is a massive difference. Point 2 - having a 6'4" post player in Maine makes them big. And normally much bigger than the opponent by 2-3-4 inches depending on the class. A 6'4" big isn't big in the world of basketball so it really is a poor comparison. On the D1 level Eze is 6'9', that would be like him always going against a guy 6'6" or 6'5". I bet Eze would have a much easier time against a guy well shorter than he is. But he is facing other 6'8'-6'9" players. This isn't John Bapst taking on Mattanawcook or Central or Penquis. And Point 3 will be exhibit A - John Saucier of Orono was 7 feet tall. The boy played hoops and was an impact player in Class C by just standing there. He was terrible at basketball. But he was at minimum 8 inches taller than anyone on the floor and he was bad.

Perspective is key.[/quote

"Linguist": And where did you do your coaching and how many high school BIGS did you develop?

Players being defended by players the same size on the block at any level middle school thru to the NBA is an advantage as the offensive player knows when he is leaving the floor and the defender does not.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. John Bapst 1993 was the tallest basketball team ever to play in this state. 6'11", 6'8", 6'8", 6'4",62" and 6'3" lst sub. Undefeated 22-0 and State B Champions who could play with the A's successfully. The 6'11" player had 30 D-1 offers and he was a stiff when he entered high school as a freshmen.

All 6 could post up and effectively. Basic post up mental skills are what is needed most and all they have to do physically is to seal their defender depending on how they are being defended, signal where they want the ball, signal when they want the ball and catch the ball and what to do after they catch the ball depending if they are being played 1 on 1 or are being double downed on. And if it is 1 on 1 then how to shoot power layups and foul shots and use ball and head fakes and combos of ball/head fakes AN VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE 3 SECOND RULE ONCE YOU GET THE BALL IN THE PAINT AND 3 SECONDS HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN CALLED ON YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN IN THE BUCKET FOR MORE THAN 3 SECONDS AFTER RECEIVING THE BALL.

I firmly believe that Antoms and Eze could be taught these basic skills and are good enough to be effective in at least the AE Conference games. Neither have shown that they have these basic BIG man skills. Besides Maine doesn't look for them when tey are on the block. Fleming is the only Maine player with good post up skills and he is only 6'7" and struggles against players bigger than him because of their size advantage.

We will never know because they will probably never be taught these basic post up skills and neither will the women's bigs either.

The inside game is becoming extinct in the game today at all levels because of the take over of the 3 point shot.

I just preferred and still prefer getting my 3 point plays the old fashion way, power layup for 2 and fouled and make the foul shot for the 3 point play. Plus. if the post is doubled then we get a good wide open 3 look.

But if they are by chance or luck then they need to have an offensive set that makes the defense pay a big price if they double down on the block to get either open threes or open layups against man or zones because of the players spacing on the floor.

Enjoy the back and forth and I just agree to disagree and on a positive side. Both Eze and Antoms had more physical skills then the 6'11" and 6'8" players that I had on the Bapst team but they don't demonstrate that they have the mental skills to be effective on the block, plus they don't see the ball much anyway.They also do not show that they know how to get to the offensive ball depending on where the ball is shot from instead of just
turning and looking for the ball for an offensive rebound. Same for women's BIGS when and if they play.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics