Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby MattyB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

Wadling injured, no timetable for return to Maine women's basketball.

https://t.co/wJbB7qkBJQ
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
User avatar
MattyB
 
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Location: As far away from you as possible

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:18 am

Can she red-shirt? :|

This will really limit what this team can achieve this season. Even in the league a couple of programs (Stony Brook!) are looking pretty strong.

And if anything.....this should drive home to Vachon and her staff how important this recruiting year is!
User avatar
mainejeff
 
Posts: 14381
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I believe her injury occurred on defense. She was defending a back to the basket move and the Duke player caught her pretty square in the jaw with her elbow. She quickly went to the bench and re-entered shortly thereafter, if my memory serves. This matches up with what Kent Taylor (radio producer) posted on twitter about Fanny before the UW-GB game.

Hopefully this doesn't persist and turn into a Sam Wheeler situation, although that was, reportedly, a much more serious concussion that resulted from an unkind collision with a poorly padded wall in the Pit.

If Fanny is healthy in time for the conference season there is no reason for her to red-shirt. She could miss some of the conference season, even, and it's still worth her playing the season out. With our top 4 players healthy, this team has a chance in the conference tournament.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby CoachA » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:09 pm

mainejeff...pretty sure every college coach realizes how important ANY recruiting class is. Recruiting quality players as well as quality people is a college coach's livelihood! Poor players and/or poor quality people and you're out of a job. Pretty sure this coaching staff knows exactly what they're doing. A coaching staff takes a look at what they need within the 4 class structure at each position and what they have available for scholarships. Maine does need a physically strong banging post player for sure. But I'm guessing they know that.
CoachA
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 am

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

For what it's worth, Vachon has recently followed three players with NCAA eligibility.

A 5'6 G, Alison Chanhthala, who has a really solid jump shot, reminiscent of Julie/Parise's ability to actually put their foot in the ground and take a jump shot. Not overly athletic. It appears as though she's at some sort of JUCO in Idaho this season and would be a 4/3 qualifier.

A 6'1 C, Abbe Laurence, who is a gritty defender with moderate to above average mobility but solid footwork and good defensive instincts. Offensively, she appears to have a solid BBall IQ and moves well within the offense she plays in. Jumper is a bit slow and stiff but seems to go in in the midrange. She appears to be a HS Senior in NH, so she would be a 5/4 qualifier.

A 6'1 C, Kiara Dallmann, a player with some size/bulk who seems to have decent mobility. It's been hard to find game footage of her but she does have quite a view quick highlights on Hudl. From what I can tell, she has a solid knack for scoring around the basket but I didn't see any "back to the basket" moves. It's entirely possible she's great at everything but I haven't found video that I can make any conclusions from yet. She put up great stats in HS and her JUCO team had a long win streak last year. She shot 70% from the field (thought it was a typo, it's not) from 2's last year in 20mpg. She appears to be a sophomore at her JUCO, so she would likely be a 3/2 qualifier.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:20 am

UMaineSuperfan wrote:For what it's worth, Vachon has recently followed three players with NCAA eligibility.

A 5'6 G, Alison Chanhthala, who has a really solid jump shot, reminiscent of Julie/Parise's ability to actually put their foot in the ground and take a jump shot. Not overly athletic. It appears as though she's at some sort of JUCO in Idaho this season and would be a 4/3 qualifier.

A 6'1 C, Abbe Laurence, who is a gritty defender with moderate to above average mobility but solid footwork and good defensive instincts. Offensively, she appears to have a solid BBall IQ and moves well within the offense she plays in. Jumper is a bit slow and stiff but seems to go in in the midrange. She appears to be a HS Senior in NH, so she would be a 5/4 qualifier.

A 6'1 C, Kiara Dallmann, a player with some size/bulk who seems to have decent mobility. It's been hard to find game footage of her but she does have quite a view quick highlights on Hudl. From what I can tell, she has a solid knack for scoring around the basket but I didn't see any "back to the basket" moves. It's entirely possible she's great at everything but I haven't found video that I can make any conclusions from yet. She put up great stats in HS and her JUCO team had a long win streak last year. She shot 70% from the field (thought it was a typo, it's not) from 2's last year in 20mpg. She appears to be a sophomore at her JUCO, so she would likely be a 3/2 qualifier.



"UMaineSuperFan": 6'1" post players maybe acceptable for America East success, but just like last year you draw a top team in the big dance round of 32 and they are going to have one or two 6'3" or better BIGS and Maine can't match up with them with 6'1" post players now or in the future. Will get blown out like they did last year in their game against a top seeded team.

Maine needs 6'3" or better not only for offense on the block but also as a defensive rim protector.

They have got 2 sophomore BIGS now 6'3" and 6'5" but guess the coaching staff doesn't think that they have improved enough to give them minutes although 6'3" Barra is getting some minutes with Waddling out. However, 6'5" Kat Williams has only played 1 MINUTE SO FAR IN 6 GAMES.

Thought after seeing their highlight films of 3 years ago that they had the potential to develop into adequate BIGS for Maine especially in America East Conference play. The non-conference games are meaningless as far as making the big dance as unless you win the AE tournament you are not going to get an at large bid to the big dance.so I would think that they would get minutes in those games.

Well I guess I amjust wrong about Barra and Williams, but that is nothing new I have been wrong plenty of times in my 81 year old life and that is why my pencil usually rips the paper because I have worn out the eraser correcting my mistakes.

It just isn't the Maine women the Maine men are in the same boat and also have not developed their two bigs either Eze and Antoms as both have gotton less minutes this year then last year for Antoms and two years ago for Eze, BUT I AM JUST WRONG AGAIN THAT MAKES ME 2 FOR 2.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11220
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: women's teams recruiting 6'3" post players to bang with the power 5 teams...

that's simply just not very realistic, nor is it really necessary. We don't play in a power 5 conference. There are a finite amount of 6'3" female athletes that are also coordinated, mobile, talented, and have the bball IQ necessary to play D1 basketball, and Maine is at the fringe of being able to recruit them.

I'd love it if Maine was able to recruit legit 6'3" post players...but the A'ja Wilsons and Candace Parkers of the world don't come to UMaine. Isn't a better goal to simply get the best post players we can get, and try to develop them within our system.

Doesn't good coaching at the college level get talent that they hope will fit into their system, then you develop and tinker things from there to put your players in a position to succeed? Recruiting 6'3" players just for the sake of doing so seems like a bad idea.

I'd much rather have competent 6'1" and 6'2" players that can really play and help us be consistently successful in conference than a 6'3" stiff.

Re: Barra and Williams: it's clear that Barra can play a little bit, but she's not healthy; I expect her to play a supporting role the rest of the year and be a more consistent contributor the next two years. I went back and watched Williams' tape a couple more times, and looking back I'm not so sure what I saw in her coming in. It's entirely possible she'll turn into a competent post player, heck Sam Baranowski and Corinne Wellington were nearly incapable of walking and chewing gum simultaneously when they were Freshman and developed into competent players, BUT a major pre-requisite for being good at the d1 level is mobility. You gotta be able to get around and move a little bit, especially the way Maine plays. I'm not so sure she ever speeds up her game enough to factor. She seems to have a pretty good read of the floor based on her passing in her HS highlights, but she's not playing against D1 athletes and is getting by on being bigger than everyone. I hope she develops, I really do, I just don't see it at this point.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:34 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:Re: women's teams recruiting 6'3" post players to bang with the power 5 teams...

that's simply just not very realistic, nor is it really necessary. We don't play in a power 5 conference. There are a finite amount of 6'3" female athletes that are also coordinated, mobile, talented, and have the bball IQ necessary to play D1 basketball, and Maine is at the fringe of being able to recruit them.

I'd love it if Maine was able to recruit legit 6'3" post players...but the A'ja Wilsons and Candace Parkers of the world don't come to UMaine. Isn't a better goal to simply get the best post players we can get, and try to develop them within our system.

Doesn't good coaching at the college level get talent that they hope will fit into their system, then you develop and tinker things from there to put your players in a position to succeed? Recruiting 6'3" players just for the sake of doing so seems like a bad idea.

I'd much rather have competent 6'1" and 6'2" players that can really play and help us be consistently successful in conference than a 6'3" stiff.

Re: Barra and Williams: it's clear that Barra can play a little bit, but she's not healthy; I expect her to play a supporting role the rest of the year and be a more consistent contributor the next two years. I went back and watched Williams' tape a couple more times, and looking back I'm not so sure what I saw in her coming in. It's entirely possible she'll turn into a competent post player, heck Sam Baranowski and Corinne Wellington were nearly incapable of walking and chewing gum simultaneously when they were Freshman and developed into competent players, BUT a major pre-requisite for being good at the d1 level is mobility. You gotta be able to get around and move a little bit, especially the way Maine plays. I'm not so sure she ever speeds up her game enough to factor. She seems to have a pretty good read of the floor based on her passing in her HS highlights, but she's not playing against D1 athletes and is getting by on being bigger than everyone. I hope she develops, I really do, I just don't see it at this point.



"UMaineSuperFan": Another excellent response. Agree with a lot of it. But I am like the man from MISSOURI, THE SHOW ME STATE, show me that the coaching staffs for both teams can develop the 2 BIGS each team has now

The race is on to see which team can develop their 2 sophomore BIGS first and SHOW US which staff can do it first.

Neither coaching staff has a former post player on their staff, and for that matter how many D-1 teams or NBA team s have one either except for Patrick Ewing at Georgetown. That is one of the biggest reasons BIGS are not developed properly at any level. Most coaches at those levels are usually former point guards or face the basket perimeter players. PE is the only head or assistant coach at the D-1 or NBA levels that I have seen that is a true BIG over 6'10". There maybe more but I haven't seen them so far this year on TV or streams.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11220
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

what if the players just stink?

it sounds to me like you're of the opinion that any player of a requisite height and size can be coached to be a productive d1 post player.

is there any scenario under which you'd be willing to just say, "yeah, the coaching staff tried hard to help them improve but it just didn't happen"?

For example, I think it's fairly obvious that Doug Leichner was a terrific big man coach (both recruiting and player development), yet he couldn't get Svetoslav Chetinov, who was all of 6'9 255, to do anything on the court...was Doug at fault there or did Svet just not have it?

The men have Vrzina to help coach the bigs now, but I'm not sure who the women's bigs coach is. Will be interesting to see if they can get anything out of the 4 players we've been debating.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: Wadling injured, no timetable for return

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:what if the players just stink?

it sounds to me like you're of the opinion that any player of a requisite height and size can be coached to be a productive d1 post player.

is there any scenario under which you'd be willing to just say, "yeah, the coaching staff tried hard to help them improve but it just didn't happen"?

For example, I think it's fairly obvious that Doug Leichner was a terrific big man coach (both recruiting and player development), yet he couldn't get Svetoslav Chetinov, who was all of 6'9 255, to do anything on the court...was Doug at fault there or did Svet just not have it?

The men have Vrzina to help coach the bigs now, but I'm not sure who the women's bigs coach is. Will be interesting to see if they can get anything out of the 4 players we've been debating.


"UMaineSuperFan": Maybe nit productive but adequate enough to be able to go 1 on 1 on the block to force double teams. Right now neither the Maine's men's or women's young sophomore BIGS show that they know how to do the following:

1: How to get to the block 1st
2. How to seal defender (4 ways)
3. How to signal where they want the ball
4, How to signal when they want the ball
5. What is the first thing to do when they get the ball
6. What to do if they are being fronted
7. What to do if they are being denied or over played

These do not take physical skill or athletic skill it just takes mental thinking but they have to be coached on how to do it if they don't do it so it appears to me they HAVE NOT BEEN TAUGHT THE 7 ABOVE THINGS. That's the players fault right???????????????????????????????????????????????????

If the high school BIGS (6'4" PLUS I had could do those 7 things then college D-1 players should be able to do them too. BUT THEY HAVE TO BE SHOWN OR TOLD. So if they haven't been taught or if they have been taught but don't do them whose fault is that???????????????????????????????????????????????

Just my opinion based on coaching many high school BIGS who were stiffs but they learned the 7 things above plus they could shoot power layups and foul shots. They did this by knowing the 3 second rule completely aand use it to their advantage, how to use ball fakes, head fakes and combination if head and ball fakes and able to recognize the double downs to hit the teammate who left him to double team the post BIG.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 11220
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], kapriollhs, mainejeff, turkeyman and 77 guests