UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Postby mainejeff » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:03 am

Natalia Klimek committed to Loyola-Marymount yesterday.
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 am

LMU is ranked right around 100 in the NCAA rankings, fwiw.

Klimek is a player I wasn't a huge fan of, but it's clear D1 coaches think otherwise.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm

also, I totally spaced that Jhasmin Player, who played professionally in Poland if my memory serves, is an assistant for LMU...I wonder if she was in on the Klimek recruitment.

if so, and if Vachon really did want Klimek...woof. (lots of ifs, I'm merely speculating)
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:48 am

UMaineSuperfan wrote:also, I totally spaced that Jhasmin Player, who played professionally in Poland if my memory serves, is an assistant for LMU...I wonder if she was in on the Klimek recruitment.

if so, and if Vachon really did want Klimek...woof. (lots of ifs, I'm merely speculating)

Player was in fact in Poland a couple of weeks ago visiting Klimek......so yeah, sounds like a "woof". :|
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 am

you'd know better than me, but if Maine never offered Klimek officially and had backed off on her recruitment...fine. if (big if, but still) they wanted her, and based on your prior posts they were in pole position, losing her to a former assistant is kind of a bummer.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am

fafan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:There might be a possible transfer in the mix for next season a well.....a name that Southern Mainers would be familiar with. ;)

OH MJ, don't tease us like this and make us ask for hints like what HS she played for ;)

Gorham. ;)
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 am

mainejeff wrote:
fafan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:There might be a possible transfer in the mix for next season a well.....a name that Southern Mainers would be familiar with. ;)

OH MJ, don't tease us like this and make us ask for hints like what HS she played for ;)

Gorham. ;)

Nice, she could be a very good player for Maine in the 20-21 season as I assume she will need to sit out the 19-20 season?
fafan

Postby fafan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 am

Throwing it out here as it effects recruiting and now it is official about Doga Alper leaving, in todays' BDN.

reshman guard from Turkey leaves UMaine women’s basketball team

Courtesy of UMaine Athletics
Doga Alper, a native of Turkey, has decided to transfer after one season with the University of Maine women's basketball team.
By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff • May 14, 2019 1:00 am
Doga Alper, a freshman for the University of Maine women’s basketball team, requested and received a waiver from the school enabling her to transfer.

She is the seventh member of the program to transfer since the end of the 2016-17 season.

Five players transferred after the 2016-17 season, and sophomore guard Julie Brosseau decided to leave after the 2017-18 campaign.

Laia Sole transferred to Duquesne University. Fellow freshmen Anita Kelava (Georgetown), Naira Caceres (Butler) and Tijana Stojsavljevic (Texas Tech), and sophomore Isabel Hernandez Pepe, who went to NCAA Division II St. Edward’s University, also moved on.

Brosseau, a sophomore guard, left for the University of Utah.

Despite the exodus, the resilient Black Bears have won back-to-back America East championships the past two seasons, earning NCAA tournament berths for the first time since 2004.

Alper, a 5-foot-11 guard from Istanbul, Turkey who played at various levels for the Turkish National Team, did not become eligible until the second semester and appeared in 15 games. She averaged just 5.5 minutes, and produced 1.7 points and 0.7 rebounds per game.

“We just wish her the best,” UMaine head coach Amy Vachon said. “We want her to be happy.”

Vachon will have Alper’s scholarship at her disposal moving forward.

“It has happened every year since I’ve been here,” junior guard Blanca Millan said. “We want people who want to be here and are happy here. The Spaniards [Sole, Caceres] left because they weren’t happy here and [Alper] wasn’t happy here, either.

Brosseau had to sit out last season at Utah due to NCAA transfer rules.

The other five have had various levels of success since departing UMaine.

Hernandez Pepe led St. Edward’s in scoring and rebounding each year. She averaged 14.1 points and 6.2 rebounds last season and was a first-team All-Heartland Conference selection for the 16-14 Hilltoppers. She also led the team in assists per game (2.6).

Kelava started 31 of 35 games for the 19-16 Hoyas and averaged 3.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and a team-high 1.5 blocked shots in 22.7 minutes per game. The Hoyas went 3-1 in the Women’s NIT, losing to James Madison in the quarterfinals.

Sole, who earned a spot on the America East All-Rookie team and was the league’s Sixth Player of the Year, saw an average of 12.9 minutes of playing time, and averaged 4.6 points and 3.1 rebounds for the 19-12 Dukes, who lost to Fordham in the Atlantic 10 semifinals.

Caceres played in 33 games for 23-10 Butler, and averaged 4.8 points and 3.5 rebounds along in 18.5 minutes per game. Butler went 2-1 in the WNIT, losing to Cincinnati.

Stojsavljevic saw very limited duty for 14-17 Texas Tech, appearing in 10 games, and averaging 1.2 rebounds and 0.7 points per game.
fafan

Postby CoachA » Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm

A little late, Larry. Very very old news. Try to stay with us BDN.
CoachA

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics