UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Postby Linguist » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:29 pm

So who created the fake account for UMO fan?

That is a lot of work for Joe Average Fan off the street to create an account just to use the phrase Bully Board.

So it had to be a regular user who wanted to say something but didn't dare to use their own account.

Unless it is a lurker who finally had enough. Maybe a parent or family member of a player, or a member of the coaching or support staff.
Linguist

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:20 pm

seemed like the vitriol was parental in nature.

I want it on record that I actually agree with UMOfan on a number of things in their post.

I did take it a bit too far with my critique of Bolozova.

I do agree that Fogarty has made improvements and has good parts to her game.

I do agree that players that do not contribute directly on game day have value to the program.

I do agree that you sometimes can't tell how a player that doesn't play a ton will develop long term.

I just disagree that we haven't seen enough of Bolozova and Fogarty to project how they might develop, and I disagree on their evaluation of both players. I think I provided ample supporting evidence to back up that claim. I also believe I sufficiently apologized for my harsh words, and I hope that apology is accepted.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Coach Vachon is about to leave for Europe on a recruiting trip. Hopefully she will seal the deal on 1 or 2 more players to wrap up recruiting for this season.....and lay the groundwork for the 2019-2020 class.

Ona side note....Jhasmin Player is currently in Poland recruiting for Natalia Klimek for LMU. Not sure if Maine is still involved with her.
mainejeff

Postby driveandive » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am

Can they/Do teams bring current roster players on recruiting trips like this or is it some type of rules violation?
driveandive

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pm

driveandive wrote:Can they/Do teams bring current roster players on recruiting trips like this or is it some type of rules violation?

The only people that can go on recruiting trips are coaches that are certified through the NCAA so no, current players cannot go on a trip like this.
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 am

mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Coach Vachon was in Stockholm, Sweden today to see Tova Sabel. Sabel plays for Alvik basketball club.

While she was there Vachon reunited with former Black Bear Mikaela Gustafsson.
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Of note: Alvik Basket is also where UMaine Men's signee Peppe Stumer plays.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:12 am

watched the tape of Tova Sabel.

She looks very similar in terms of skill set to Anna Kahelin. Moderately athletic, decent but not spectacular handle, solid outside shot (probably poorer mechanics than Kahelin), OK on ball defender (not a ton of tape there and haven't had a chance to watch a full game yet; will probably will get to that Wednesday).

Her FT percentage is a little concerning, at just above 50% on about 25 attempts. Her stroke from three doesn't look super herky jerky or broken so I wonder what's up there.

All in all, Maine needs dynamic wing players and some team size; Sabel is a bit of a hat on a hat with Kahelin for this recruiting cycle, but I'm a fan of having a bunch of rangy switchable wings who can shoot the outside shot a little bit and create. I see her as another player in the Kahelin/Alper role who has a decent upside (solid rotation player, maybe a starter as a Jr/Sr, probably no all conference selection) with some development but would likely need a year of seasoning. I'd be interested to know if she's a 2019 or 2020 recruit (she's 18 currently but you never know).
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 am

I believe that Tova is a 2019 but as you said...who knows? If she is a 2019 then that means one of 2 things....Vachon either has 2 more ships available...or other 2019 possibilities (JUCOs?) have fallen by the wayside.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics