Re: UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 pm

The lineup up I would like to see starting next season:
PG- Saar
SG- Alper
SF- Millan
PF- Barra
C- Wadling

Maddy & Maeve would stay in their roles as top subs.

Big offseason for several returners who have a chance to step up into the rotation.
Barra and Alper, in my humble opinion, have the most potential. As the famous quote reads....”potential is interesting, performance is everything.”
Barra has the sweet jumper going for her but she needs to learn how to play the defensive side of the floor. Doga is an excellent athlete and is physically stronger than most. I see the combo of Alper & Blanca as a huge problem defensively for opposing backcourts/wings.
This all said Maddy & Maeve are clearly 2 of the hardest working and smartest team members and I could see Coach Vachon leaning on that trust & experience.
Can’t rule out Fogarty either as Coach leaned on her at times as the first backcourt sub. I’m not sure what to make of the freshmen class? We’ll have to see if they are ready to compete?
Blind Zebra

Postby CoachA » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm

College coaches recruit players by what they need for position and what they need for the style of offense they run. For the last few years, both Barron and Vachon have run either a 4 out 1 in or a 5 out with lots of basket cuts, relocate, dish to a 3. What they have had for post players have run that very well. If indeed they want to go further in the NCAA's then they do need to recruit a bigger athlete for their 4 out 1 in. But as we've seen UMaine does not highlight a post offense. They've been successful for the conference with that. Now, we'll see if they can get what they may feel they need to go any further.
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm

CoachA wrote:College coaches recruit players by what they need for position and what they need for the style of offense they run. For the last few years, both Barron and Vachon have run either a 4 out 1 in or a 5 out with lots of basket cuts, relocate, dish to a 3. What they have had for post players have run that very well. If indeed they want to go further in the NCAA's then they do need to recruit a bigger athlete for their 4 out 1 in. But as we've seen UMaine does not highlight a post offense. They've been successful for the conference with that. Now, we'll see if they can get what they may feel they need to go any further.

"CoachA": Couldn't agree more with your insightful, informative, interesting, timely and relevant post. Especially seeing that Maine women still have at least 2 scholarships available that is if all 13 players this past season were on
scholarship. They lose Rossignol and Sutton as seniors and have signed Simon and the 6'1" player from Portsmouth has verbally committed. The women have 15 scholarships to the men's 13.
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Finnish wing Anna Kahelin has also verbally committed
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:Finnish wing Anna Kahelin has also verbally committed

UMSF: Thank you for that info. So 1 signed, 2 committed leaves just 1 left? AND NO BIG yet??
bcbc55

Postby UMOfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 pm

Hey MaineJeff and MaineSuperfan: you two guys must think this is a bully-board instead of a forum. You must know that the UMaine women’s bball team likely all read this absolute CRAP you write. What a couple of cowards. Hiding behind your screen names and a keyboard, bashing and evaluating talented, hard-working bench players and new recruits. The current players you rip apart have seen limited to no minutes in most of the games, so making projections and evaluations about their skills and potential is frankly, ABSURD and more importantly UNNECESSARY. I’m guessing that coach Vachon and the rest of the staff probably have a pretty good idea about the potential of these players; and I also bet these players have already been told more than a few times what they need to work on to gain more minutes. They certainly don’t need the likes of you two bullying them further on this board. I’ve seen all of them do many GOOD things in the limited GLIMPSES I’ve seen of them. Do you realize HOW much harder it is for a bench player to show their best. Parise is a prime example. You guys mentioned she was not D1 player her first two years??? How the heck would you know that when the young lady barely stepped on the court. You now make similar judgments and nasty comments about Kelly Fogarty. From an outside eye, I thought Fogarty looked in top condition this year and much quicker. She got tossed in a big game versus UNC, with a history of very little playing time, and knocked down 4 threes in like half a quarter??? I saw A LOT of potential and mental toughness in Fogarty that day; to step up like that when Fanny was injured, against a top team in the country that went on to beat Notre Dame and take down N.C. State, to hit a shot to take the lead and spur on her teammates, tells me she has a lot more to come!!!! In most games her minutes have been limited or chopped up, coming in when out of the flow of the game; not the best circumstances to be projecting her worth and future on in my opinion. And what the HECK kind of comment is this: “I can't see Geno Auriemma turning Bolozova into anything more than a player who can walk and chew gum at the same time”. Superfan did you seriously write THAT??? This player got thrown in like twice in garbage time ALL year and you are telling people on this bully-board what she can and cannot do??? What an insult to coach Vachon for recruiting her. What an insult to this player who has not had ANY chance to show what she is capable of. That remark is extremely demeaning and again uncalled for; it goes WAY beyond an “opinion”. And you wrote “ We have ample evidence from Bolozova and Williams that size is not the end all be all” REALLY??? Where’s the evidence? Both have not even stepped on the court this year?? How are you judging this?? Maybe coach Vachon has evidence...or maybe they are still developing...or maybe the players coach Vachon played this year happened to me more ready, so she groomed them for this season. I think most of the bench has potential or they wouldn’t be there. Some kids work harder than others and not everyone will end up contributing on the court, but you should be reminded that they ALL contribute and push the starters in practice to be their best which helped this team get as many wins as they did. There is a lot more to “TEAM” than the five kids you see on the court. So when you rip the bench players and new recruits, you are ripping not just those kids, but the whole team and you disrespect coach Vachon and her staff. If you feel compelled to share negative opinions about players, maybe you could remember the word RESPECT.
UMOfan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 pm

I guess that I live in an alternate reality.....wow. :roll:
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm

hyperbolic, to be sure. uncalled for and disrespectful? probably. Incorrect, probably not.

i'll take your comments with a grain of salt and try to do better to keep my comments more above board. you're right about that, and I apologize for being a little crude. My identity is pretty well known for people who've been on the board for a while. a former poster even tracked down a picture of mine and used it as a troll account on the BDN messageboard at one point.

with that being said:

I absolutely AM, unequivocally, taking a shot at Vachon for recruiting Bolozova. That is a fair and reasonable position to take. Not every recruit can be an on court contributor, and that's OK. I'd prefer that the whole roster was filled with players who can contribute directly in games. Maybe that's unreasonable, it's just my opinion. I hold no ill will towards Bolozova; I'm sure she's a wonderful person and is a valuable member of the team in practice and in other off the court areas. But, like, I've watched D1 college basketball for well over a decade, and I have eyes and a brain...Bolozova is not a D1 post player at the level we need her to be right now, and based on what we saw from her in limited time, and the fact that she only has one more season in Orono, I don't see her being a major contributor going forward. I'll gladly be wrong, and admit it. Let's keep in mind that this team was starved for competent post play, yet she didn't play except in mostly garbage time minutes. When she did play, she was, objectively, quick to tire, in the wrong position and late to rotate on defense (again, I've watched this team under the current system for 7 seasons, I know what it's supposed to look like, within reason), and showed little to no offensive upside. I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, that's just the reality of what I'm seeing with my eyes. How else would you like me to euphemize that? The evidence that she'll not be a contributor is coming directly from Vachon; she didn't play even when we desperately needed her to. Fans of the team are free to debate and discuss the relative abilities of the players on the roster and how they might be/should be utilized.

Re: Fogarty, you're correct, she did slim down and is in better shape, I believe I've noted that and given her praise. If not, I apologize. I also have said on numerous occasions that she can shoot when she's wide open. That's objectively true and I have no issue agreeing with that. Past that, however, I'll stand by my opinions on her as a player. Anyone can watch and see the same things, she knows where the ball is supposed to go, but has trouble getting it there because her handle is not where it needs to be. Her turnover rate on the dribble is very high, that's not really debatable. She also does not catch the ball with good fundamentals in terms of body positioning and footwork, and that causes her to take a really long time to shoot the ball (which she does pretty well). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference between the way she catches and shoots and the way Parise does. One clearly adds more value. On defense, objectively, she is a liability, though she seems to know where she's supposed to be. She's got the IQ, her lateral footspeed is letting her down. We have enough minutes of game evidence to support that assertion. I hope she continues to improve; my opinion is that the probability of that happening where she can reach an above-average level is less than the probability of her being close-ish to her ceiling.

People on this site come here to read analysis of the team and give their opinions. That's all I'm doing. That's all you're doing. Your opinion is a little rosier than mine, cool. It's not for the members of the team and staff to read. I'm not writing for that audience, even like 1%. If they are reading, however, I loved watching you this year and you brought me a ton of joy. A ton. It was a blast. Thanks, to all the players and coaches and support staff. Your effort made the university and its alumnae, myself included, really proud. I've been on this site sporadically for 11.5 years, and the view counts on threads that include my posts, specifically on recruiting, where Jeff and myself basically drive 20K views per year between football and the two basketball teams, suggest that people are interested in the subject, and are willing to read what I write and interact with it. I'll keep doing it unless I'm asked to stop.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:02 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:hyperbolic, to be sure. uncalled for and disrespectful? probably. Incorrect, probably not.

i'll take your comments with a grain of salt and try to do better to keep my comments more above board. you're right about that, and I apologize for being a little crude. My identity is pretty well known for people who've been on the board for a while. a former poster even tracked down a picture of mine and used it as a troll account on the BDN messageboard at one point.

with that being said:

I absolutely AM, unequivocally, taking a shot at Vachon for recruiting Bolozova. That is a fair and reasonable position to take. Not every recruit can be an on court contributor, and that's OK. I'd prefer that the whole roster was filled with players who can contribute directly in games. Maybe that's unreasonable, it's just my opinion. I hold no ill will towards Bolozova; I'm sure she's a wonderful person and is a valuable member of the team in practice and in other off the court areas. But, like, I've watched D1 college basketball for well over a decade, and I have eyes and a brain...Bolozova is not a D1 post player at the level we need her to be right now, and based on what we saw from her in limited time, and the fact that she only has one more season in Orono, I don't see her being a major contributor going forward. I'll gladly be wrong, and admit it. Let's keep in mind that this team was starved for competent post play, yet she didn't play except in mostly garbage time minutes. When she did play, she was, objectively, quick to tire, in the wrong position and late to rotate on defense (again, I've watched this team under the current system for 7 seasons, I know what it's supposed to look like, within reason), and showed little to no offensive upside. I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, that's just the reality of what I'm seeing with my eyes. How else would you like me to euphemize that? The evidence that she'll not be a contributor is coming directly from Vachon; she didn't play even when we desperately needed her to. Fans of the team are free to debate and discuss the relative abilities of the players on the roster and how they might be/should be utilized.

Re: Fogarty, you're correct, she did slim down and is in better shape, I believe I've noted that and given her praise. If not, I apologize. I also have said on numerous occasions that she can shoot when she's wide open. That's objectively true and I have no issue agreeing with that. Past that, however, I'll stand by my opinions on her as a player. Anyone can watch and see the same things, she knows where the ball is supposed to go, but has trouble getting it there because her handle is not where it needs to be. Her turnover rate on the dribble is very high, that's not really debatable. She also does not catch the ball with good fundamentals in terms of body positioning and footwork, and that causes her to take a really long time to shoot the ball (which she does pretty well). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference between the way she catches and shoots and the way Parise does. One clearly adds more value. On defense, objectively, she is a liability, though she seems to know where she's supposed to be. She's got the IQ, her lateral footspeed is letting her down. We have enough minutes of game evidence to support that assertion. I hope she continues to improve; my opinion is that the probability of that happening where she can reach an above-average level is less than the probability of her being close-ish to her ceiling.

People on this site come here to read analysis of the team and give their opinions. That's all I'm doing. That's all you're doing. Your opinion is a little rosier than mine, cool. It's not for the members of the team and staff to read. I'm not writing for that audience, even like 1%. If they are reading, however, I loved watching you this year and you brought me a ton of joy. A ton. It was a blast. Thanks, to all the players and coaches and support staff. Your effort made the university and its alumnae, myself included, really proud. I've been on this site sporadically for 11.5 years, and the view counts on threads that include my posts, specifically on recruiting, where Jeff and myself basically drive 20K views per year between football and the two basketball teams, suggest that people are interested in the subject, and are willing to read what I write and interact with it. I'll keep doing it unless I'm asked to stop.

"umsf: Nothing really wrong with your post. Just telling like you see it and I can live with that. I have been on MBR since it started in the early 90's and I have seen a lot more negative posts about myself and others so don't take it personal. You and I agree to disagree and I have enjoyed our back and forths.

People should remember opinions are like noses and every one has one except maybe only identical twins noses are the same.

I was disappointed that when there were blow out games both ways this year that Kat Williams got hardly any minutes. She played in the least games 7 of 33, got 26 minutes to average 3.7 mpg.

Also, disappointed that only 7 players got to play against UNCST after their coach took out his starters with just a minute to go and up 15 and Maine kept their starters in to the end. This happened more than once this season when the deep subs could have gotten minutes and it didn't happen.
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:20 pm

re: UMOfan, I hope my track record over the last decade makes it clear that though I may spout off at the mouth at times, those opinions/takes, while harshly worded, are backed up by careful and thoughtful observations, and I don't really post until I have ample evidence to support my assertions. I go to every home game that I can reasonably attend schedule wise, watch the rest online, follow the team on social media, study recruiting, talk to other folks in the UMWBB orbit on other platforms and in person to inform my posting, and am willing to debate with folks who see the game differently. This isn't something I do without thought. If I think Bolozova isn't very good...well there's likely a reason. My colorful phrasing in that instance did go over the line, however. A more succinct way to put it: I don't think the coaching matters, I don't see her developing enough to play meaningful and impactful minutes on a championship level team unless she makes drastic improvements, and based on what I saw I don't see that happening. That's as nice as I can make my opinion sound. I'd love to be wrong. If she can do what Maeve did this year on next year's team, I'd be tickle pink and would gladly admit to being wrong. I'll root for her whether she makes the improvements or not.

so, UMOfan, what exactly am I allowed to post about the team? Can I analyze the roster and recruiting for the past 6 years? because I took about an hour and did that and it was received, appropriately, with universal praise because I put the time and effort in to put that post together. Can I post about how I think potential recruits will impact the future roster? I'd bet a good load of money I watch more tape and game film of potential recruits for this team than anyone outside of the halls of the memorial gymnasium, with the possible exception of MJ or BZ, and I post analyses of the recruits with specific time stamps from games along with analysis of how that might impact their future ability. Can I post about what the players on the roster contribute directly to the on court performance in games, how Vachon is using them, and what changes I might like to see in the rotation? I pay, gladly, to go to the games, so why can't I share my thoughts? Can I offer my opinion on how the team played in a specific game other than "they won yippee" or "they lost, that's a bummer", or can I take the time and effort to cite specific things I saw that worked or didn't work and what we might look for in future games? I'd just like to know where the line is?
UMaineSuperfan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics