UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm not going to copy/paste my old post about the future of UMaine Women's Basketball's recruiting, but I thought it would be good if we had a thread to actually store/discuss all of the information about future recruits and the construction of the roster.

Current Roster by Position/Depth:

Ball handlers: Dor Saar, Maddy McVicar, Sierra Tapley
Off-Guard: Parise Rossignol, Kelly Fogarty
Wing: Blanca Millan, Tanesha Sutton, Maeve Carroll, Doga Alper
Post: Fanny Wadling, Kira Barra, Alex Bolozova, Kat Williams

Current Roster by Class:
Freshman: Doga Alper
Sophomore: Maeve Carroll, Dor Saar, Kelly Fogarty, Kira Barra, Kat Williams
Junior: Sierra Tapley, Blanca Millan, Alex Bolozova, Fanny Wadling
Senior: Maddy McVicar, Parise Rossignol, Tanesha Sutton

This means that Maine has 2 fully open scholarships (only 13 student-athletes on the current roster with 15 scholarships available to D1 women's teams) plus three seniors to replace (McVicar, Rossignol, Sutton) for a total of 5 slots.

The next season, Maine will need to replace four more players (Tapley, Millan, Bolozova, Wadling).

The positional breakdown of the two classes graduating:
Ball Handler: McVicar, Tapley
Off Guard: Rossignol
Wing: Millan, Sutton

The positional breakdown of the two classes remaining:
Ball Handler: Saar
Off-Guard: Fogarty
Wing: Alper, Carroll

Even losing Sutton and Rossignol, next year's team will still have three all-league caliber players, so I'm looking at this current recruiting cycle from a "capitalizing on a championship window" perspective.

In my estimation, Maine needs one more ball handler this recruiting cycle to spell Saar (Tapley probably doesn't factor in based on what we've seen in terms of playing time), a shooter to replace Parise, a gritty wing/defender to replace Sutton, and needs to start planning for the departure of their two Junior stars Millan and Wadling.

Longer term, not sure what Vachon is planning to do, I suppose we should wait and see what she brings in this year before taking guesses.
UMaineSuperfan

Re: UMaine Women's Basketball Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Maine has signed PG Anne Sutton (Luxembourg) to an NLI

https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 4240455681

Stats from this past summer's European Championships (Division B):

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18bw ... Anne-Simon

Stats Summary: volume scoring lead guard who doesn't shoot the ball particularly well from three, but is a very good free throw shooter. Good +/-. 1:1 Ast/TO, lots of steals.

Game Tape:

vs. Norway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FHhPPWSyQc&t=2015s
vs. Denmark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msfvcwoP3Eo
vs. Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qrVQV6tfA

Tape Analysis: Lead ball handler for the Luxembourg U18 team. Seems to be a springy athlete, but is not terribly fluid going to the basket. Shot is violent/stiff, everything she shoots seems to be very rough, even the layups rattle in. Shot release is low with average quickness. Lefty. Operates an actual offensive system, which should help with transition to Vachon's offense. Aggressive on ball defender.

Projected role: Backup PG behind Saar
Ceiling: All-conference honorable mention, All-Defense
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Now that they’ve addressed the point guard spot, Coach Vachon and Co. need to land a couple of athletic posts and a wing 3 & D type. Ideally a 6’0 to 6’1 athlete with lateral agility and enough strength and leaping ability to still hold their own in the post on both ends... an agile 6’2- 6’3 post who can rebound, block shots & also add some interior finishing on the offensive side....A 5’10-5’11 shooter who can also slash and create some deflections and steals defensively. Overall, need to improve team athleticism & quality depth. Players who can make an immediate contribution and have the raw athletic traits necessary for future development.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:15 pm

"UMaineSuperFan" Excellent article done in a very fine, excellent, informative, interesting, relevant and timely manner.

WELL DONE, AN A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Blind Zebra": Agree with your analysis of the teams needs especially 6'3" post players with good back to the basketball skills so Maine can develop an inside game to get to the foul line more and to force double downs to get inside-for open 3 looks.

They also need a player who can penetrate and finish at the hoop and also able to make kick out passes to wing players for open 3 looks when the penetration is stopped by help side defender.

Right now "they are living and dying by the three" and have had to rely on their defense (allowing only 58ppg) to have won the last two games with Wadling and Carroll both out.

Shooting stats so far for 6 games FG% 40%, 3pt% 29% and FS% 65%. % of FGA's as 3's 47%.

Very fortunate to come away with a win against UPenn. Clutch 3 by Rossignol to put Maine up 1 and a clutch hoop by Sutton for the winning hope.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 am

The recruitment of post players (and recruiting in general) has been crushed by the loss of Coach Player. I hope that I am wrong, but enjoy the next year or 2. :|
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 pm

If memory serves, wasn’t it Coach Barron himself who brought in Sigi, Liz, and other key cogs of the past successful teams? I believe he also landed the 2 women from Spain that transferred. They need another Bella Swan (who may have been a Player recruit?) as well as another strong/mobile post and someone taller than 5’8 who can shoot & slash.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:If memory serves, wasn’t it Coach Barron himself who brought in Sigi, Liz, and other key cogs of the past successful teams? I believe he also landed the 2 women from Spain that transferred. They need another Bella Swan (who may have been a Player recruit?) as well as another strong/mobile post and someone taller than 5’8 who can shoot & slash.

:Blind Zebra": Sigi Koizar was a hidden basketball gem. Came to Maine as a junior foreign exchange student and lead Stearns of Millinocket to a n Eastern Maine Class C Tourney runnerup. Then she went back home to Austria. Nobody knew about her skills but Maine. Barron had a big secret and he got her with little or no recruiting competition.

1st time I saw her play was when I was officiating her AAU basketball game at Bates College and I was certainly surprised to see a high school player so talented as she was.

I certainly agree with you about recruiting more size, but they do have 6'3" Barra and 6'5" Williams as sophomores but they haven't developed enough to get major minutes. Barra is getting a some minutes with Wadling out, but Williams has only played 1 minute so far this year. I they recruit BIGS like Barra and Williams then they have got to DEVELOP THEM or there is no sense in recruiting them.

Same goes with the men for Antoms and Eze, both who are seeing less court time then they did with Walsh.

Barron like Doug Leishner the men's assistant under Woodward at the same Barron was coaching the women got several players from the international scene. Leishner coached overseas in the off season and had a lot of international connections.

Right now both Maine's men's and women's teams are still most of their players from the international routes overseas and Canada.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Looking more and more like 5-10 PG Natalia Klimek (Poland) will be another recruit added for next season. She has a solid game....shooting, ball handling, passing, toughness, decent athleticism.

Natalia Klimek Highlights: https://vimeo.com/301875678

Another new name on the radar is 6-1 JUCO Forward Aubriana Noti. She is a Redshirt Freshman for Iowa Western.

She is from Colorado and was Second Team All-State Class 5A (big schools) in 2016-2017.
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Of note: Iowa Western is where another potential UMaine recruit (read: our coaches follow/are followed back by the recruit) plays, one Kiara Dallmann. they happen to be the first and third leading scorers on the team, and both shoot 50% from the field (but also about 55% from the FT line) (http://www.goreivers.com/sports/wbkb/20 ... r=1&pos=sh). Will be interesting to see if Maine nabs one or both of them to join the squad.

any chance you'd like to let us know your methodology for the Klimek thing? I can't find much of anything on twitter that indicates an imminent commitment.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm

UMaineSuperFan: Assume (which is dangerous to do) Iowa Western is a JUCO college?
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics