Is it too soon to fire Barron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Is it too soon to fire Barron

Postby thebam » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:38 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote: Haven't thought of an appropriate one for Gendron yet. Any ideas?

How about Former Head coach Gendron?
thebam

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:46 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:I wish, that guy was usually spot on. He had good nicknames for all the coaches too. Woodward was Mr. March, Cosgrove the crazy uncle, Cindy Loo Loo, Timmay, lol. The new round of coaches need nicknames too. I'm thinking Nick "Demolition" Derba, Amy "Mad Dog" Vachon and Richard "the Robber" Barron. Haven't thought of an appropriate one for Gendron yet. Any ideas?

Gendron is Captain Bly.
LesMillsRockstar

Postby fafan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 pm

LesMillsRockstar wrote:
mario_spaghettio wrote:I wish, that guy was usually spot on. He had good nicknames for all the coaches too. Woodward was Mr. March, Cosgrove the crazy uncle, Cindy Loo Loo, Timmay, lol. The new round of coaches need nicknames too. I'm thinking Nick "Demolition" Derba, Amy "Mad Dog" Vachon and Richard "the Robber" Barron. Haven't thought of an appropriate one for Gendron yet. Any ideas?

Gendron is Captain Bly.

Excellent matey :lol: :lol: :lol:
fafan

Postby mario_spaghettio » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm

thebam wrote:
mario_spaghettio wrote: Haven't thought of an appropriate one for Gendron yet. Any ideas?

that has a nice ring to it 8-)
mario_spaghettio

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 am

mario_spaghettio wrote:
thebam wrote:

that has a nice ring to it 8-)

Agreed! Gendron is starting to make Whitehead look good. :?

I am so sick of the men's ice hockey program being mis-managed. You would think that the new AD Ken Ralph....who came to us from Colorado College and is from New Hampshire would make the hockey program a priority. Maine has ignored the problem for far too long....and in the process has left millions of $$$ on the table that could have been revenue generated for the entire athletic dept.
mainejeff

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 pm

honest question: what should the new AD be doing, tangibly, to make Hockey "a priority".

What concrete, tangible steps should he be taking to do so, and what evidence do you have that he isn't doing so?

I honestly have no idea how he's doing in his new role. He's been very behind the scenes/has had limited media interaction since being here, but isn't it a bit too early to declare he's not doing right by the hockey program?

Isn't a more accurate criticism that previous AD's let things go on too long with Whitehead, and didn't push for true facilities improvements to keep up with conference competition, rather than blaming the new guy?
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:07 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:honest question: what should the new AD be doing, tangibly, to make Hockey "a priority".

What concrete, tangible steps should he be taking to do so, and what evidence do you have that he isn't doing so?

I honestly have no idea how he's doing in his new role. He's been very behind the scenes/has had limited media interaction since being here, but isn't it a bit too early to declare he's not doing right by the hockey program?

Isn't a more accurate criticism that previous AD's let things go on too long with Whitehead, and didn't push for true facilities improvements to keep up with conference competition, rather than blaming the new guy?

"UMaineSuperFan": Although I know about as much about the inner workings of the Maine hockey program as I do the Maine football or baseball programs as a I am just a part time casual fan of those programs, your post above is very good, very reasonable, relevant,timely, informative and interesting.

You do what people should do when they criticize somebody or something. You give reasonable solutions to help improve thew situations whatever they are. I am with you 100% on this subject as I have had 16 years.
experience as an AD 5 years in a public large high school and 11 years at a private medium size high school here in Maine.

Fans have got to give a new AD at any level time to learn the ropes at his/her new job. As fans we have to have "time and patience, neither of which come in a bottle". It takes a while to get to know the school's programs, philosophy, staff, budgets, publicity, etc.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Coach Barron should get three years to turn the men's program around just like he did with the women's Maine basketball program. Taking over a women's program that was in the same shape as the current men's squad is it took Barron two years of 4 win and 6 wins before going 17-15 the third year , followed by 2 20 plus win seasons.

If Barron doesn't get the men's program to at least a .500 season by the third season then people can get upset.

"Give him "Time and patience neither of which come in a bottle. He has an advantage that Coach Walsh didn't have coming into the job as he knew the program and what they had coming back for talent and what their needs were and he hasn't been able so far to solve the biggest need a true BIG at 6'10" plus at 245lbs.

Maine Missed out on an 6'11" 230plus lb center Trevor Irish from Lewiston, Maine who after playing JUCO ball in Texas signed with Long Beach State for next year courtesy from Blind Zebra's post on this thread.

At my age of 81 I may not be around to see if Coach Barron can do with the men what he did with the women for the third year.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am

Regarding hockey.....the first place that I would start is with the ridiculous pricing structure of tickets. Current pricing for hockey is priced like this is a perrenial Top 10 program that has made numerous NCAA appearances in the last decade. Nothing could be further from the truth. I understand having "exclusive" seating like the box seats for donors....but this program is bleeding fans at an alarming rate. I'm not saying with certainty that fans will attend if ticket prices are lowered but they are certainly not paying $20 (bench), $35 & $50 per ticket to see this pathetic program lose most of their games.....in a very mediocre to bad facility at that. :roll: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby hoopsisme » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am

Does anyone know if Irish had any interest in Maine? Long beach and sun ain't a bad place to be! Not sure we can say missed out.
hoopsisme

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics