Is it too soon to fire Barron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Is it too soon to fire Barron

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm

To Mainemanhoops: Here he is the other night with his Dad who's 6'5", I'd say 6'8" for Fiorillo. :)
https://twitter.com/redstorm_sports/status/1082449108802125824
fromthebench

Postby Rams1998 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Quick response to Ram1998: Division 2 programs do indeed give out full scholarships. Schools at that level have 10 full scholarships to award (D1 programs can give out 13). On occasion, the D2 programs opt to divide a few of the scholarships; some players will get half scholarships. But, for the most part, at least 7 or 8 players on D2 rosters are getting full scholarships, the same as if they were scholarship players on the D1 level.

I didn't say D2s did not give out full scholarships; I said it was rare. I stand by my statement. I think you'd find the division of scholarships happens a lot more than "on occasion". In my experience, which is substantial, it is far more common for D2 schools to award partial scholarships than it is for them to give full boats.
Rams1998

Postby Mainemanhoop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 pm

If D2 programs have 10 scholarships to give, it's not "rare" that they give out full ones.
Most D2 programs that I'm aware of... and, that's more than a few ... give out at least 7 full rides, often 8.
Any good D2 level player is going to only go somewhere that offers a full scholarship.

You say Fiorillo is 6-8. No report I've accessed anywhere lists him taller than 6-7.
I'll stand by the rest of my "evaluation," based on highlights (only the best plays) from his junior season at Scarborough: Doesn't have D1 athleticism, shot begins from too low, doesn't have D1 "hops," highlights came against extremely mediocre opposition, needs to add at least 20 pounds of bulk/muscle.

Some D2 program might take a chance at him. Looks better suited, right now, to have D3 success.

Is anyone actively recruiting him right now? That's the best barometer of where he can play.
Mainemanhoop

Postby Rams1998 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I didn’t say anything about Fiorillo.
Rams1998

Postby Rams1998 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Your post about D2 full rides is completely misleading. I just talked to a 10 year division 2 coach. I asked him how many d2s are giving full rides. His response: “None. When we were at Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan, we were fully funded and the highest we ever went was 70%. Some schools just cover what financial aid doesn’t”. That was exactly what I said in my initial post on the subject.

Further reading: http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-p ... ship-model

“Division II relies on a partial-scholarship model to administer athletics-based financial aid. Very few of the 110,000 student-athletes competing in Division II will receive a full athletics grant that covers all of their expenses, but most of them will receive some athletics-based financial aid to help them through school. For the rest of their expenses, student-athletes use academic scholarships, student loans and employment earnings just like most other students attending the school”
Rams1998

Postby fromthebench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Just watched Fiorillo in person against Portland, the kid makes tough shots, brings the ball up against the press (with no turnovers) blocks every shot that comes near him, and...is a legit 6'8".

Let's look at Maine's bigs 6'7" Eze great athlete who has no idea how to play, 6'8" Antoms very slow with no ballhandling ability, 6'8" Larsson's a twig, 6'8" Stoij moves like a battleship and can't get out of his own way...

Meanwhile, you got a 6'8" kid in Scarborough hitting step back threes and bringing the ball up against the very tough Portland Bulldog full court pressure, he's miles ahead of any big currently wearing a Maine Jersey.
fromthebench

Postby Mainemanhoop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am

I'm very familiar with D2-level basketball. I follow the NE-10 pretty closely ... even go to some games. One of my best friends is a D-2 head coach. Another is a D-2 athletic director.
Every school in the NE-10 ... and, there are 15 of them ... awards the fully allowed complement of 10 athletic scholarships for men's basketball, and 10 athletic scholarships for women's teams.

In checking with my two friends ... one school has 8 full scholarship players, two half-scholarship players and has split one scholarship three ways.
The other gave out 7 full scholarships and split the other three between six players (each a half scholarship).

I've also been told that Bentley (no personal connection from me) has 8 players on full scholarship, including Victoria Lux from Thornton Academy.

Every D2 program, under NCAA rules, can indeed give out up to 10 full scholarships. Yes, they can split them up if desired. I can't speak to every program nationally. But, if a D2 school wants a player it perceives as being able to be an impact player ... that player is going to get a full scholarship, same amount of money as if the player would play on the D1 level.

As for Fiorillo ... not to demean a state player, because he's an above-average high school player. But, he'll never play on the D1 level. He's playing against very low-level competition, against opponents several inches shorter. To say that he's "miles ahead of any big currently wearing a Maine Jersey" ... let's just say that you probably also believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Again, who's recruiting him? My guess is that the state D3 programs are heavily involved.
Mainemanhoop

Postby Rams1998 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

I think the issue is semantics. If a coach gives an “athletic scholarship” to cover the gap that is not met with merit aid, that kid is going to school for free (or close to it), but he is not receiving a full ride athletic scholarship. You must be counting this, because teams in the NE-10 are absolutely not giving 8 basketball players full ride basketball scholarships. They’re not doing it in other sports either.

Again, perhaps we’re talking about the same thing two different ways - I don’t know.
Rams1998

Postby Justabasketballfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am

I'll also have to disagree with Rams1998 on the scholarship issue for Division 2 basketball players. I've been around college basketball most of my adult life (currently in my mid-60's, so it's been a while!). Division 2 programs have 10 scholarships to offer. Every coach I know on the Division 2 level gives out all 10, and it's usually as many as 8 full ones.
Justabasketballfan

Postby Rams1998 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't know what to say to you guys. It's just not accurate - at all. Reached out over the weekend to a coach with a Division II national runner-up finish on his resume. He said, at most, they'll have 1-2 FULL ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP players on the roster a year.

I really believe you guys are just confusing meeting full need with awarding a full boat athletic scholarship.

School A costs $20,000. Player A gets $15,000 merit aid from School A. Basketball Coach A then gives Player A $5,000. Player A is going to school for free but HE DOES NOT HAVE A FULL BOAT BASKETBALL SCHOLARSHIP.

School B costs $20,000. Player B gets $20,000 from Basketball Coach B. Player B is going to school for free because he received a FULL ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP.

These two things are not the same.

It's gotta be one of the following:
A) You're trolling me
B) You're confused (see the example I gave above)
C) Your friends who coach are lying to you
D) You two guys know the only D2 coaches in the country who are awarding full boat athletic schollys.

It doesn't matter. It's not even relevant to the thread. Agree to disagree, or whatever. Go Bears.
Rams1998

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics