Is it too soon to fire Barron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Is it too soon to fire Barron

Postby aechamps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 am

It needs to start with a win tonight against Fordham....if they dont win soon some of the kids will stop believing in the system. We need kids that can play now not three years from now. Programs like NJIT, Albany, UMBC and UMass Lowell that have not been D1 for long seem to be in a better position then Maine. I blame this on the AD's at Maine....when G left (yes in 2004!) they should have replaced him with someone that could keep the frying pan cooking....the ship started leaking with Woodward. Lets hope they mop up the sloppy passes and close down on the poor perimeter defense tonight.
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:38 pm

aechamps wrote:It needs to start with a win tonight against Fordham....if they dont win soon some of the kids will stop believing in the system. We need kids that can play now not three years from now. Programs like NJIT, Albany, UMBC and UMass Lowell that have not been D1 for long seem to be in a better position then Maine. I blame this on the AD's at Maine....when G left (yes in 2004!) they should have replaced him with someone that could keep the frying pan cooking....the ship started leaking with Woodward. Lets hope they mop up the sloppy passes and close down on the poor perimeter defense tonight.

"aechamps": Agree with your post. Thought Maine should have hired Doug Leisncher at least as a interim head coach as it was real late when they hired Walsh.

And improve their shooting foul shooting 57% and 3 point shooting 26.6% and reduce the number of 3 attempts 39.9% which is too many shooting below 30%.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 pm

basketball_guy wrote:https://www.bing.com/search?q=america+east+conference+basketball+standings&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=5049fcef688e4e32a471f503dc45720d&PC=DCTS&sp=-1&pq=america+east+conference+basketball+standings&sc=3-44&qs=n&sk=&cvid=5049fcef688e4e32a471f503dc45720d

I think Barron wanted to start with a clean slate...and it does take time. That said I would think they could win
a few games this season...I don't get it honestly why this program has come down to this level. I would think Maine should be a fairly decent job for any Coach. It was in tough shape when Walsh took over. Barron certainly had time to analyze the situation enough last year while being out of coaching but being retained by the AD.

With all the Prep School talent in New England (not counting Lee Academy) which seems to be a pipeline to UMAINE, their is plenty of Talented players in New England. These guys should need to start pulling out a few games to start showing they are turning things around a bit.

"basketball-guy": Thanks for the updated AE conference standings. Agree with all of your post. Especially parts about Barron really knowing the situation he was walking into, about talent in Prep Schools in New England and that they certainly need some wins before the conference schedule starts. Every team in America East the other eight, have at least won 2 games so far in non-conference play.

Tonight they host Fordham in Bangor and TeamRankings.com gives Maine a 37% chance of winning tonight. So good night to get their first W.
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 pm

aechamps wrote:Programs like NJIT, Albany, UMBC and UMass Lowell that have not been D1 for long seem to be in a better position then Maine.
Exactly. The time for patience has came and went. It's time to storm the castle. :x
mario_spaghettio

Postby thebam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:
aechamps wrote:Programs like NJIT, Albany, UMBC and UMass Lowell that have not been D1 for long seem to be in a better position then Maine.
Exactly. The time for patience has came and went. It's time to storm the castle. :x

yeah.. Brutal first 4 games, and haven't played a single conference game yet. Sure. Time to give up. Why don't you try attending a game or 2 and talk to some of the players before you start expounding on giving up and not buying in. Tee shirt fans are the worst.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:48 pm

To answer the original question posed on this thread.....YES, it is too early. :P
mainejeff

Postby BlueLine » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 pm

It’s been discussed on other forums and expounded upon by more knowledgeable fans than I; if not using wins as a primary metric, then effort based statistics. Clearly, reduction of opponents 3 pt % and lessening of opposition paint opportunities and consequent scoring, should be examined carefully to judge coaching effectiveness. Let’s see what the trends are after 10 games.
BlueLine

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 pm

BlueLine wrote:It’s been discussed on other forums and expounded upon by more knowledgeable fans than I; if not using wins as a primary metric, then effort based statistics. Clearly, reduction of opponents 3 pt % and lessening of opposition paint opportunities and consequent scoring, should be examined carefully to judge coaching effectiveness. Let’s see what the trends are after 10 games.

"BlueLine": Good observations. Some stats to help back your post above.

Category..Maine Opp. averages for 9 games
FG%.........42.8...44.7+
3p%.........28.3...40.4+
FS%.........62.9...69.7+
FSA pg.....12.1...20.6+
Rebounds..30.0...35.7+
Assists......14.2...15.2+
Turnovers..15.4..12.6-
Points pg...58.9..72.1+ equals 13.2 margin average per game

As you would expect with an 1-8 record Maine does not lead in any positive listing stat above.
bcbc55

Postby Mainemanhoop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 am

Newbie here, but enjoy the board.
Have to comment on this thread. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.
Let's give the guy a little time.
This was never going to be easy.
First, it's an entirely new world for Barron, trying to transfer from women's basketball to men. All his recruiting contacts were on the women's side. It takes time to develop men's contacts.
Secondly, a difficult place to recruit for any coach.
Bottom line, it usually takes three or four years, time for a new coach to bring and and develop his own recruits, before making a judgment on success and/or failure.
The current statistical measurements have no importance on Barron's ability as now now.
Mainemanhoop

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Mainemanhoop wrote:Newbie here, but enjoy the board.
Have to comment on this thread. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.
Let's give the guy a little time.
This was never going to be easy.
First, it's an entirely new world for Barron, trying to transfer from women's basketball to men. All his recruiting contacts were on the women's side. It takes time to develop men's contacts.
Secondly, a difficult place to recruit for any coach.
Bottom line, it usually takes three or four years, time for a new coach to bring and and develop his own recruits, before making a judgment on success and/or failure.
The current statistical measurements have no importance on Barron's ability as now now.

"Mainemanhoop": Welcome aboard to MBR. I agree with your interesting, timely, informative and relevant post.

The reason for this thread continuing after "Mario" started it so early maybe because of the following factors that I have heard from some Maine men's basketball fans after the 1-9 start against D-1 competition.

1. Barron getting the job without a national search.
2. The fact that the former AD was leaving and Barron had to have a job and he was not going back to the women's coaching position at Maine and Barron was working in the Athletic Department and he wanted the men's job and it was an easy move and why would the former AD really care, he was leaving.
3. He was given a 5 year contract when it should have been 4 years at the most.
4. He had no head coaching experience with men's D-1 coaching. Big difference in coaching D-1 men and women.
5. Assistant Coaching staff not having any D-1 Men's coaching experience

Those are some of the factors that I have heard from some Maine fans and maybe some of the reasons for this thread starting so early.

As far as I have been and am concerned I'm willing to give him the 3 years that it took him to turn the women's program around before making a final decision. The first two years he was the women's coach they only won 4 and 6 games and then the third year Barron turned it around to have a 17-15 winning season followed by 2 20 plus win seasons before his health issues.

Both the men's and women's programs at Maine were in the same condition when Barron took both jobs.

So what is good for the Maine women's program, is good for the Maine men's program.

So "time and patience and neither comes in a bottle". 3 years to go 17-15 or .500 or better, but even if he doesn't do that he still has 2 more seasons to get there. I do not think that There is any way Maine is going to buy out his contract regardless of his W-L record or years left in his contract.

So Maine fans should be as supportive as we can and hope that he turns the men's program around just as he did the women's program.

Barron should have known what he was getting into as he knew what the Men's basketball program situation was as he has been on campus for 6 years before he took the men's job which is a big advantage over someone coming from another school.

This perhaps puts a little more pressure on Barron along with the 5 reasons listed above by some critical and not to patient fans.

Also, as far as this year is concerned let's wait until after the AE conference schedule is completed as their non-conference schedule was tough as Maine's SOS is at 177 and 212 in RPI in realtimerpi.com rankings out of 353 teams.

The AE Conference is 28th in RPI and 27 in SOS out of 32 Conferences and Maine should certainly be able to compete with.. UNH 0-8 RPI347/SOS 265.. Albany 2-7 RPI 344/SOS 338.. Binghamton, 1-7 RPI 336/SOS 252 that are lower in the RPI rankings and SOS then the Maine men.

Time will tell even for this year after regular season conference play and the conference tournament as I think they will be and should be competitive in conference play against at least half of the conference teams.

Again, "Mainemenhoop", welcome aboard too MBR.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics