Is it too soon to fire Barron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Is it too soon to fire Barron

Postby mario_spaghettio » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:40 am

The writing is on the wall. Barron is Walsh 2.0. Fire him now or wait until it's too late?
mario_spaghettio

Re: Is it too soon to fire Barron

Postby aechamps » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:07 am

Your an *******!
aechamps

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:39 am

mario_spaghettio wrote:The writing is on the wall. Barron is Walsh 2.0. Fire him now or wait until it's too late?

Hardly. Barron actually knows how to coach basketball. Maine has played 4 road games vs. quality D1 opponents. They pass then eye test as far as effort and organization goes.

I really don't even know why I am even responding to you. :| :roll:
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am

mario_spaghettio wrote:The writing is on the wall. Barron is Walsh 2.0. Fire him now or wait until it's too late?

spoken like someone who hasn't watched a single minute of Men's basketball this year.
thebam

Postby fromthebench » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Lol, nice trolling.
The team looks good and I think they'll make a nice run come conference time.
Their early schedule has been against very good teams on the road and...
tonight they face 6-0 North Texas in Texas.
Hat's off to Barron and the Black Bears for not taking the easy road.
If they can be competitive tonight that will say alot.
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Remember it took Barron three years before he could turn around the Maine women's program after 4 and 6 win first 2 seasons to go 17-15 the third year and then two 20 plus win seasons 4 and 5. So he should be given the same opportunities to do the same thing with the men's program.

Way to early to make any quick decisions right now. I say wait until they get into conference play this season to see how they do. They have a tough Strength of Schedule of non-conference games. But that should better prepare them for the America East Conference 16 game regular season schedule.
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm

two players that were expected to make major impacts (Yagodin and Iluyomade) are both out for the year with knee issues, Ingo still hasn't played (and it looks like he just...won't? RS year perhaps), Prijovic is in his RS transfer year, and next year we bring in Stumer, Wright-McLeish, and Radakovic. Next year's team has 6 more guys to bring into the fold, should be interesting to see how this year develops then project out where those players might fit in.

Honestly, this year is a big time mulligan year for me as a fan. I have zero expectations. They could win two games and it would be fine with me so long as it looks like we brought in some competent d1 athletes with some upside and seem to improve as the year goes on with our offensive and defensive sets. We know what it looks like when done well on the women's side so we have some comparative evidence to go off of.

So far, El Darwich is competent though not quite as high of a ceiling as I might have hoped, but Moss is much better, much sooner than expected. Losing Yagodin really sucks. Eze and Antoms look like projects not prospects. That's about all I've gotten out of the season.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Muchups » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:two players that were expected to make major impacts (Yagodin and Iluyomade) are both out for the year with knee issues, Ingo still hasn't played (and it looks like he just...won't? RS year perhaps), Prijovic is in his RS transfer year, and next year we bring in Stumer, Wright-McLeish, and Radakovic. Next year's team has 6 more guys to bring into the fold, should be interesting to see how this year develops then project out where those players might fit in.

Honestly, this year is a big time mulligan year for me as a fan. I have zero expectations. They could win two games and it would be fine with me so long as it looks like we brought in some competent d1 athletes with some upside and seem to improve as the year goes on with our offensive and defensive sets. We know what it looks like when done well on the women's side so we have some comparative evidence to go off of.

So far, El Darwich is competent though not quite as high of a ceiling as I might have hoped, but Moss is much better, much sooner than expected. Losing Yagodin really sucks. Eze and Antoms look like projects not prospects. That's about all I've gotten out of the season.

Maybe not this year as a freshman but this will be Moss's team for the next three. I was hoping the younger Fleming would be coming to Maine as he'd be great teaming up with Moss but it wasn't meant to be. Thus, we'll need some of the other young players to develop, or perhaps recruit some pieces. I'd like to see them start recruiting in the US. I have nothing against European players generally but all the 2nd tier random, generic European players don't seem to be amounting to much.
Muchups

Postby mario_spaghettio » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Muchups wrote:I'd like to see them start recruiting in the US. I have nothing against European players generally but all the 2nd tier random, generic European players don't seem to be amounting to much.
exactly
mario_spaghettio

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:13 pm

It has been three games! What are you talking about? In Barron’s time as the women’s HC he won a regular season title with a team full of random euros (Gustafsson, Heise, Weckstrom, Charles, Koizar)...give it time and whine if they don’t make progress
UMaineSuperfan

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics