Week #14 UMO Vs. Jacksonville State Predictions

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Week #14 UMO Vs. Jacksonville State Predictions

Postby fafan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm

maine612 wrote:Getting ahead of myself here... but it just occurred to me that if SEMO upsets Weber, we could host a national quarterfinal game in Orono... Long shot....but fun to think about.

The way ticket sales are going we won't have to worry about hosting another game. Fans better step up and the University better try something like a 2 for 1 deal or discount them like they did in 2013 b/c a lack of any marketing could really hurt attendance. :(
fafan

Postby Muchups » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 pm

driveandive wrote:Portland was the original capital in Maine. And Bangor once had more residents than Boston when it was the largest lumber port in the world and the lumbermen arrived and again when they came out of the forests. That wasn't too far from when the University of Maine started.

UMaine was a land grant university established in 1865. The location was picked because it was close to the geographic center of the state. Even in 1860 Orono was far north of the population center.

Additionally, Bangor had around 16,000 people in 1860 while Boston had around 180,000. Not even close. By comparison, Portland had between 25-30,000.
Muchups

Postby BearDown » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Please stop with the Portland move on this thread...move it to where it belongs please.
BearDown

Postby SMAA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Have to be real here.

JSU 38
Maine 13

PS. I would not want the campus in Portland. Leave it where it is at.
SMAA

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:05 am

SMAA wrote:Have to be real here.

JSU 38
Maine 13

PS. I would not want the campus in Portland. Leave it where it is at.

I wouldn't want it "in Portland" either. In a perfect world circa 2018, it would be located in the Waterville to Brunswick corridor.
mainejeff

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

Jacksonville State is only a -3 point favorite. Jacksonville State has not been punched in the mouth by Jack Frost yet....I think if Maine sets the tone early, they have a good shot to take this game.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Isn't the key to the game Maine's defense and its ability to contain JSU?

Maine has to deal with a real dual threat QB (we've had massive issues with dual threat guys, e.g. UNH and Towson QB's over the last couple seasons) as well as really big WR's (we play a lot of press man coverage with smaller corners).

I worry about Maine giving up lots of gash plays on broken plays where JSU's QB makes a play with his feet, or jump balls downfield.

Maine will need to be extremely gap- and contain disciplined on the defensive front to prevent broken plays and too many missed opportunities in the backfield.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby BearDown » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Predicting a healthy walkup crowd to put us at or near 6k

Maine - 38
JSU - 35

Not a clue how this game will actually play out...

I know Maine hasn't been high scoring on Offense yet but I see the game opening up in the 2nd half and some points being scored. The Maine D represents but JSU scores a couple of late ones to make it look closer than the game actually was...

Beat the Gamecocks!!
BearDown

Postby thebam » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Maine can not, I repeat CAN NOT dig themselves into a hole like at Western Kentucky and Rhode Island and expect Doak to save their ass. Down by 17 or 21 tomorrow and it is lights out , ball game see ya next year. Period.
thebam

Postby fafan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 pm

thebam wrote:Maine can not, I repeat CAN NOT dig themselves into a hole like at Western Kentucky and Rhode Island and expect Doak to save their ass. Down by 17 or 21 tomorrow and it is lights out , ball game see ya next year. Period.

Bam, when you made this comment it donned on me that the 2nd half of the season this team has not had to come from behind as they have been the one to strike first and then hold on for the victory. It would be awful nice to strike first, can't wait to see if they kick to Electric Ernie ;)
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics