Week #14 UMO Vs. Jacksonville State Predictions

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Week #14 UMO Vs. Jacksonville State Predictions

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Hey Mario despite what you said I still see Maine winning in a close game.
basketball_guy

Postby Archer Bunker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:50 pm

jsualumnus wrote:JSU 34
Maine 27

I saw you guys play Georgia Southern back in the early 2002 for the playoff game in Statesboro. Is the campus thinking about moving all operations and athletics to Portland? Great town by the way!

jsualumnus They should have put the whole campus there years ago, but they screwed up. Never happen now. Portland is a great small city with so many things to do and places to see. Orono Sking and Skidooing that's about it.
Good luck Saturday.

GO! GO! UMO!

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby Muchups » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 am

Archer Bunker wrote:
jsualumnus wrote:JSU 34
Maine 27

I saw you guys play Georgia Southern back in the early 2002 for the playoff game in Statesboro. Is the campus thinking about moving all operations and athletics to Portland? Great town by the way!

jsualumnus They should have put the whole campus there years ago, but they screwed up. Never happen now. Portland is a great small city with so many things to do and places to see. Orono Sking and Skidooing that's about it.
Good luck Saturday.

GO! GO! UMO!

AB

Portland is the economic and cultural hub of the state and bigger than people realize with a metro population of 530,000. I like Orono and Bangor but they're far north of the population center of the state and the more prosperous economic regions. The flagship campus of the state University system would be much better served near Portland but it'll never happen at this point.

If anything Orono is a little bit colder (since people want to talk cold in regards to this game).
Muchups

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:53 am

Augusta became the capitol for a reason....the state university should have been placed in the same area.
Last edited by mainejeff on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mainejeff

Postby maine612 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am

I am on the side that thinks the University location is just fine where it is. Frankly, it is much more representative of the state. Don't get me wrong, I love Portland and stop for a night or two every time I am home. But it's basically a mini-Boston at this point and is overrun with tourists - especially in the summertime.

Orono is a great little college town and I am thankful our University resides there. The river, the proximity to the ocean and mountains, and the central location in the State make it representative of all of Maine.

maine612

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

maine612 wrote:I am on the side that thinks the University location is just fine where it is. Frankly, it is much more representative of the state. Don't get me wrong, I love Portland and stop for a night or two every time I am home. But it's basically a mini-Boston at this point and is overrun with tourists - especially in the summertime.

Orono is a great little college town and I am thankful our University resides there. The river, the proximity to the ocean and mountains, and the central location in the State make it representative of all of Maine.

It is not centrally located. Land and trees don't count. The population center is probably between Augusta and Brunswick at this point.
mainejeff

Postby driveandive » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:54 am

Portland was the original capital in Maine. And Bangor once had more residents than Boston when it was the largest lumber port in the world and the lumbermen arrived and again when they came out of the forests. That wasn't too far from when the University of Maine started.
driveandive

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

I still like the idea of "dual" UM sports locations. I know that the NCAA probably doesn't allow it, but if UM and USM became "one" school with dual campuses....it would be an interesting idea.

Football and baseball to Portland makes the most sense, although honestly basketball and hockey would probably benefit more recruiting wise. College sports are changing so much that thinking outside the box is almost a requirement now. Generating more interest and revenue is a must. The Bangor market is stale and limited.....you can't bleed blood from a turnip as they say.
mainejeff

Postby maine612 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am

MJ, I'm guessing you are a "get rid of the electoral college" kind of guy. Orono is, in fact, more centrally located geographically than Brunswick. Should have been more clear I suppose.

maine612

Postby maine612 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am

Getting ahead of myself here... but it just occurred to me that if SEMO upsets Weber, we could host a national quarterfinal game in Orono... Long shot....but fun to think about.

maine612

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics