Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

As for Eze, he is trying and coming off major hip surgery. He has been zapped of much of his agility and athleticism due to injury. It was a question if he would be able to play again at one point. Give him some credit for gutting it out through a difficult rehab and also sticking by his commitment to UMaine.
Blind Zebra

Postby sewey76 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:22 pm

The only quality big at UM that I can recall was Jeff Cross in the 1980's. He played at Portsmouth, NH High School.
I never saw him play in HS but people I know say he couldn't walk and chew gum. He went to Prep school but was only recruited by Maine and UNH. Someone must have developed him because he had a great career at Maine and played a bit in the NBA. Maybe need to recruit a coaching assistant to develop a big.
sewey76

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

sewey76 wrote:The only quality big at UM that I can recall was Jeff Cross in the 1980's. He played at Portsmouth, NH High School.
I never saw him play in HS but people I know say he couldn't walk and chew gum. He went to Prep school but was only recruited by Maine and UNH. Someone must have developed him because he had a great career at Maine and played a bit in the NBA. Maybe need to recruit a coaching assistant to develop a big.

"sewey76": YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! SOMEONE WHO SEES IT THE WAY I HAVE FOR QUITE AWHILE.

I have been preaching that for awhile. You do not see many if any BIGS 6'10" or bigger on D-1 college or NBA coaching staffs accept Patrick Ewing the head coach at Georgetown. Most head coaches are former point guards or face the basket players so how would they know how to develop a BIG with adequate back to the basket skills.

Jeff Cross did not play in a varsity Maine game until he was a junior as he was on the Maine JV team his frosh and soph years, He and Rick Carlisle, former Celtic player and currently Dallas Maverick coach are the only 2 former Maine players who ever actually played in the NBA. Cross went to the NBA directly from Maine while Carlisle went to the NBA from Virginia where he was a teammate of Ralph Sampson transferring there after his sophomore year at UMaine.

Why no BIGS on D-1 college or NBA as head or assistant coaches is because there is usually in today's game only 1 or 2 on a team so it is 13 face the basket players and 2 BIGS on every 15 person roster in D-1 or NBA. Besides how many of those BIGS are really and truly used effectively now that the game has turned into mostly a 3 point shooting contest.

Tough to get any offensive boards on all those 3 attempt misses that bounce away especially after they have come ball side looking for a pass that hardly ever comes. They run rim to rim. Maybe the reason that there are not see more BIGS coaching is just because it was no fun playing as just rebounder, rim protector and a not seeing the ball too much on the offensive end.

Just my opinion on what I see on TV D-1 and NBA basketball today. NBA today stands for " Not Basketball Anymore". NCAA stands for "No coaching At All". Many of D-1 and NBA Coaches are mostly "supervisors of Substitutions".
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 am

Good points all and after re-reading my post I was too hard on Eze, he's a good hard worker and wants to do well. I would probably limit his role to exploit his strengths, keep him in the bucket on D, practice blocking shots after the shooter releases the ball on offense etc. On offense I would use him as a garbage man, set up low away from the ball (discuss how not to get 3 seconds) and have him crash the boards for lay-ins and put backs. Most of his difficulties occur when he's out on the perimeter so I wouldn't play him there.

Maine and Barron have done a great job with the Princeton offense, too good actually and as a result I don't see teams playing man to man against them. (Especially Princeton!) so they will need to improve their zone offense to be successful. Quinnipiac killed them with corner shooting and this is the one area Maine really lacks, a good corner shooter against zones. I would've recruited Fiorillo for this role but c'est la vie.
fromthebench

Postby hoopsisme » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Yagodin can flat out shoot it but he was injured in the Denver game. Not sure when he comes back.
hoopsisme

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:18 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Yagodin can flat out shoot it but he was injured in the Denver game. Not sure when he comes back.

"hoopsisme": I certainly agree about Yagodin, best perimeter shooter on team they miss him very much. When will he get back?

As we know each others user names I Left you a message on your phone, I have got ESPN+ working so will not need a ride tonight. Thanks for offerring, give me a call please.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Yagodin and Ilouymade are both out for the season.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Yagodin and Ilouymade are both out for the season.

"Blind Zebra": Thanks for the info. Too bad, they should both be red shirted??????????????

What is Stephane Into's status??????????????????????????

With Pirjovic sitting out as a transfer they had 15 players eligible (not including Pirjovic to start the season in October.

The 16 players included 13 scholarships and 3 walkons.
The 15 players included 12 scholarships and 3 walkons.
What do they have for numbers now? Minus Y and I is it 10 and 3??????

Walkons: Wang, Ashley and Begic?????????
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Ingo is redshirting I believe. If they sustain another front court injury that may go out the window. Begic, Ashley & Wang are walk on.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Ingo is redshirting I believe. If they sustain another front court injury that may go out the window. Begic, Ashley & Wang are walk on.

"Blind Zebra": Thanks for answering my questions.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics