Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Muchups wrote:
fromthebench wrote:Great to see the commits for next year.
2 star recruits all.
Makes me wonder...are there any Maine kids who might be two star recruits?
Nick Fiorillo 6'8"
Ben Onek 6'5"
Andrew Hartel 6'9"
Come to mind off hand. :)

I've seen the first two on this list play many times.

I could see taking a shot at a player like Ben Onek. With further development he could potentially be a good wing player at a place like Maine. He's strong, athletic and has the build to play division 1. His skills are improving but he still seems slightly raw.

I don't think Nick Fiorillo could play division 1. He seems like a good division 3 player to me. He's got decent skills for a kid his height but he's slow and physically weak. He'd get dominated in D1.

"muchups": The two at 6'8" and 6'9" will probably still grow and a year of prep school after high school could see a big change in them. "Time and patience" and neither come in a bottle. I wouldn't give up on them quite so quick.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

bcbc55 wrote:The two at 6'8" and 6'9" will probably still grow and a year of prep school after high school could see a big change in them. "Time and patience" and neither come in a bottle. I wouldn't give up on them quite so quick.

So you're preaching time & patience with potential kids but yet you are extremely quick to throw the current men's staff under the bus after only a few weeks for a complete lack of developing the big men. Seems as though you should probably practice what you preach and give the staff some time to work on things.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

So you're preaching time & patience with potential kids but yet you are extremely quick to throw the current men's staff under the bus after only a few weeks for a complete lack of developing the big men. Seems as though you should probably practice what you preach and give the staff some time to work on things.[/quote]

"parquetfloor": Now wait a second. Florillo and Hartwell are only high school seniors entering this basketball season where Eze and Antoms are entering their third basketball season from high school.

Neither Eze and Antoms have shown that they can do the following in their years at Maine:
1 .Post up correctly on the block by
A. How to seal their defender depending how they are being defended
B. Shw where they want the ball
C. Signal when they want the ball
D. Evaluate the situation as soon as they get the ball
E. Don't appear to know the 3 second rule as they seem to rush the play
F. Do not show head fake or ball fake or combination ff the 2 to get power layups or draw fouls
G. What to do if they are being fronted so as to get free for the pass

These are basics that high school players should know let alone college players

It's not Eze and Antoms fault if they have not been taught these basics by now.

How long should it take to teach those 7 things???????????????????????????????????????????

But I don't see many D-1 bigs doing any of those things either in any program either. Many coaches seem to be in love with the three and yet by doing these things and getting the ball inside is the best way to get open 3's.

Don't see many D-1 perimeter players catch and face basket to look inside first before doing anything else. The first thing many do is look for the three and if not open they either pass or dribble penetrate. They don't even use the ball fake if they don't have an open three. Ball fake 3 and then dribble penetrate is another great way to get open threes.

Most BIGS THAT ARE BACK-TO-THE-BASKET PLAYERS ON THE BLOCK today in High school and college seem to just be rebounders and defenders.

Just my basketball opinion based on experience in developing BIGS over the years.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:51 pm

The point being that the coaching staff has only been working with the players for a couple of months and as a team for maybe 3 weeks. Seems as though you are expecting all that teaching, training and philosophy to be implemented in a very short time. You mention that the bigs are in their 3rd year at Maine. While that is true, the current staff hasn't had 3 years with them so it isn't really fair to blame the coaching staff for a lack of development over that time.

How many touches did the big guys have in the 2 games? There is a big difference between touches and shots. I would much rather have a big kick the ball out than force a contested post move. I didn't see either game so I cannot speak to any of that at all.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

parquetfloor wrote:The point being that the coaching staff has only been working with the players for a couple of months and as a team for maybe 3 weeks. Seems as though you are expecting all that teaching, training and philosophy to be implemented in a very short time. You mention that the bigs are in their 3rd year at Maine. While that is true, the current staff hasn't had 3 years with them so it isn't really fair to blame the coaching staff for a lack of development over that time.

How many touches did the big guys have in the 2 games? There is a big difference between touches and shots. I would much rather have a big kick the ball out than force a contested post move. I didn't see either game so I cannot speak to any of that at all.

"parquetfloor: Enjoy the back and forth. I agree touches are the most important things for big men. Maine's 2 BIGS did not get many touches on the block, in fact most of their touches were outside of the paint in the first 3 games.

I am also basing my evaluation this early as when Barron was coaching the women's BIGS did not illustrate the skills that I mentioned and he had them for a lot longer then he has the men so far. The key to his success with the women was Sigi Koizar for 4 years and she wasn't used enough as a freshmen because they were much better when she came off the bench and was on the floor. She should have started as a freshmen.

Again, I will go with what I have seen so far and hope too see more of an increased inside game, inside-outside game and dribble penetration. Next 4 games will be tough on the road.

I hope I am wrong, both I do not for see Maine having an inside game or an inside-outside game and in the first 3 games they did not show much dribble penetration. At least Calixe took it to the hoop when he was at Maine.

Got to go inside-outside 1st for open threes and then second with dribble penetration for kickouts for open threes, plus both get you to the foul line which Maine des not show they have done so far this season.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 am

Trever Irish, 6’11 Center formerly of Lewiston HS, signed his LOI with Long Beach State. He will have 2 years of eligibility.
Blind Zebra

Postby fromthebench » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Congratulations to Mr. Irish! Can you imagine spending 2 years in warm, sunny Long Beach California? Wow!
Couldn't happen to a nicer kid who loves the game of basketball and has a nice feel for the game.
I remember last spring there were only two posters (me and bcbc) who thought Maine should offer him.
All others were unbelievably critical of him and his skills. I guess Irish gets the last laugh and I hope he enjoys his time on the sunny beaches of SoCal. They also play Hawaii. lol

As for Eze and Antoms, it's hard to play guys who everytime you put them in the game the other team goes on a 10-0 run. A lot of fake hustle from Eze (running at a man you can't possibly block and then ending up out of bounds and out of the play) falling for every head fake, dribbling off his feet, passing the ball to the other team. I would say he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane except that would be an insult to all the Janes out there that play great basketball.

Reminds me of a story about a kid that played for my Dad back in the day. He was tall, athletic, great baseball player and the coaches worked with him tirelessly on skills and fundamentals, but, when he got it the game it all disappeared. My Dad regretted giving him so much attention when other, less athletic kids could have benefited from that time. Just saying...
fromthebench

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm

The Eze train has left the building. He may have been on a different trajectory before injuries, but he's a role player now at best.
mainejeff

Re:

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:57 pm

fromthebench wrote:Congratulations to Mr. Irish! Can you imagine spending 2 years in warm, sunny Long Beach California? Wow!
Couldn't happen to a nicer kid who loves the game of basketball and has a nice feel for the game.
I remember last spring there were only two posters (me and bcbc) who thought Maine should offer him.
All others were unbelievably critical of him and his skills. I guess Irish gets the last laugh and I hope he enjoys his time on the sunny beaches of SoCal. They also play Hawaii. lol

As for Eze and Antoms, it's hard to play guys who everytime you put them in the game the other team goes on a 10-0 run. A lot of fake hustle from Eze (running at a man you can't possibly block and then ending up out of bounds and out of the play) falling for every head fake, dribbling off his feet, passing the ball to the other team. I would say he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane except that would be an insult to all the Janes out there that play great basketball.

Reminds me of a story about a kid that played for my Dad back in the day. He was tall, athletic, great baseball player and the coaches worked with him tirelessly on skills and fundamentals, but, when he got it the game it all disappeared. My Dad regretted giving him so much attention when other, less athletic kids could have benefited from that time. Just saying...

"fromthebench": An another Maine high school big bites the dust from UMaine men's basketball recruiting efforts. Mayo, Cimino and now Irish.

I remember that you and I thought Maine should really go after Irish, maybe he got lost in the shuffle of the coaching change. However, Maine has not had a decent BIG since Ali Fraser.

But seems Maine cannot even get a BIG that played high school basketball in Maine. They are very rare and when they are here Maine can't get them.

How many BIGs did the woimen's program under Barron recruit and develop? His success came from getting Sigi Koizar.

Oh well, it gives us another Maine Big playing D-1 college basketball this season to follow other than 6'10" Nick Mayo at Eastern Kentucky who is in the top scorers in the country averaging 25 ppg..
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Maine went hard after Mayo when Walsh was here. Just as they aggressively went after Matt Fleming from Bangor. Can you blame these kids for not signing with the Black Bears? This program has been at the bottom of the D1 barrel since Woodward ran it into the ground. Coach Barron needs to be given time to make a slow rebuild back to respectability. This program hasn’t been competitive in the America East in at least 8 years. Bring in solid players who fit the system and inch your way up the ladder. Hopefully they can find a player or two overseas that were overlooked and turn into stars.
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics