Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 pm

hibbert wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:Maine still has not recruited a true D-1 BIG 6'10" 245lbs that can be an offensive threat on the block and to be a rim protector on Defense. With these 3 commits it does not look like that they will get one for 2019-20.

I don't care if he is from Bangor, Baltimore, Budapest or Bangladesh. A 6'10" 245 pound recruit who can score in the low block and protect the rim is NOT coming to the University of Maine. Not only is he going to be at Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina or Louisville, he is only going to be there for one year before going to the NBA, and he is also going to get paid $50,000 under the table to do so.

'hibbert": Maine currently has a 6''9" 245lb player on their roster. Why hasn't he been developed? Because the last regime's coaching staff and the current coaching staff has not developed him. The reason they haven't is because evidently they do not have or had a member of the coaching staff that has the skills to develop a BIG because all the staff members were guards when they played.

The same can be said for the Maine women's team for the same reasons when they have a 6'5" solid BIG.
bcbc55

Postby hibbert » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
hibbert wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:Maine still has not recruited a true D-1 BIG 6'10" 245lbs that can be an offensive threat on the block and to be a rim protector on Defense. With these 3 commits it does not look like that they will get one for 2019-20.

I don't care if he is from Bangor, Baltimore, Budapest or Bangladesh. A 6'10" 245 pound recruit who can score in the low block and protect the rim is NOT coming to the University of Maine. Not only is he going to be at Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina or Louisville, he is only going to be there for one year before going to the NBA, and he is also going to get paid $50,000 under the table to do so.

'hibbert": Maine currently has a 6''9" 245lb player on their roster. Why hasn't he been developed? Because the last regime's coaching staff and the current coaching staff has not developed him. The reason they haven't is because evidently they do not have or had a member of the coaching staff that has the skills to develop a BIG because all the staff members were guards when they played.

The same can be said for the Maine women's team for the same reasons when they have a 6'5" solid BIG.

I don't see a 6'9" player on Maine's roster. Antoms is listed at 6'8", 245, which is very different than 6'10" 245, particularly when you consider that most colleges inflate the size of their players.

Regardless, any "big" that comes to Maine is going to be an enormous project that can't suddenly be adept at low post offense or defense. If they were capable of being that good, that quickly, they would not attend UMaine.

Why play in the middle of nowhere in front of 1,000 fans (tops) for a bad team when you can go to Kentucky? Your expectations regarding the level of player Maine can recruit are way too high. Maine will get players who have no other options. And that is it.
hibbert

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:29 pm

"hibbert": Mick Antoms has been listed at 6'9" on some of the Maine Rosters that I have seen in the past and he is listed at 245lbs. Not going to debate about in inch.

When high school stiffs (6'6" plus) can be developed into successful bigs during their high school careers don't you think if coaches have the skill to develop high school BIG STIFFS these coaches could or should also be able to develop college BIG STIFFS.

How many college head or assistant coaches are 6'9" or bigger. THAT IS ONE OF THE BIG REASONS THAT BIGS ARE NOT DEVELOPED AT THE COLLEGE D-1 LEVEL. Usually they have been developed in high school, AAU ball or Prep School before they get to college.

They may stumble into the gym as high school freshmen but developed properly they can leave as good adequate BIGS.

It takes a lot of work to develop BIGS, but in the long run it certainly is worth it because once you get a BIG good enough to force double downs on the block it really opens up the 3 point game. Highest percentage for making 3's is inside to the player on the block and when the double team comes and outside pass to the pen man whose man left him to double down. If no double then it is one o one and that is the toughest defense to play on the court guarding a player one on one on the block.

Mick Antoms showed enough skills in his year at Lee Prep to not be classified as a project. I saw his highlight reel and he was more than adequate at the prep school level.The same goes the Maine women's BIG from Florida showed good skills as a high school post BIG in her highlight films. It takes "time and patience and neither come in a bottle". But it takes coach that knows how to develop a BIG.

Just based on experience watching coaches who know how to develop high school BIGS.

What's that old saying, "It takes time and hard work to develop to anything worthwhile"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Bob,

If you're going to claim Kat Williams is a good big that hasn't been developed, you better come with receipts. Until you actually give specific information about specific plays and specific skill sets all you're doing is talking out of the orifice at the end of your digestive tract.

Here's her highlight tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xI_ati0Q24

Go through the tape and break down specific plays with specific time stamps and explain what she's doing so well that Maine has somehow failed her by not developing/playing her.

Here's an example from Miks Antoms's tape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUP1c6PkZT4): At 18 seconds Miks sets a ball screen at the top of the key and nicely slips to the hoop. Good footwork, good positional awareness, fluid athleticism. This suggests he could be used in a similar way at UMaine and succeed. at 40 seconds, he establishes nice deep position with wide feet, and uses a solid shoulder shake to free up his left side to shoot an easy layup. Shows he has competent low post body control.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:33 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:Bob,

If you're going to claim Kat Williams is a good big that hasn't been developed, you better come with receipts. Until you actually give specific information about specific plays and specific skill sets all you're doing is talking out of the orifice at the end of your digestive tract.

Here's her highlight tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xI_ati0Q24

Go through the tape and break down specific plays with specific time stamps and explain what she's doing so well that Maine has somehow failed her by not developing/playing her.

Here's an example from Miks Antoms's tape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUP1c6PkZT4): At 18 seconds Miks sets a ball screen at the top of the key and nicely slips to the hoop. Good footwork, good positional awareness, fluid athleticism. This suggests he could be used in a similar way at UMaine and succeed. at 40 seconds, he establishes nice deep position with wide feet, and uses a solid shoulder shake to free up his left side to shoot an easy layup. Shows he has competent low post body control.

UMaineSuperfan: If you are going to use nasty unnecessary adjectives to tell me what I am doing or what I should do I will not respond to you. Don't appreciate that type of approach and it does not deserve a response.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:41 am

Great to see the commits for next year.
2 star recruits all.
Makes me wonder...are there any Maine kids who might be two star recruits?
Nick Fiorillo 6'8"
Ben Onek 6'5"
Andrew Hartel 6'9"
Come to mind off hand. :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

fromthebench wrote:Great to see the commits for next year.
2 star recruits all.
Nick Fiorillo 6'8"
Ben Onek 6'5"
Andrew Hartel 6'9"

"fromthebench": Great to see you back on MBR. Missed your posts and replies to posts.

With a year of prep school after high you never know. Two BIGS at 6'8" and 6'9"and still probably got some growth left. I would take a serious long look at both. Would get after them now to show early interest. Should have shown interest in them a lot sooner then now. But, "Better late then never".
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:46 am

bcbc55 wrote :

"neither coaching staff have been able to develop the BIGS offensively or defensively because most if not all of the coaching staffs were guards as players and do not seem to have the skill or knowledge to develop the BIGS on both sides of the ball last season."

Just to keep facts near the front of this discussion. Painting with a broad brush seems wrong. Richard Barron's staff has not had a chance to develop BIGS because this is their first year.

You can't say can't when they haven't had the chance yet.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Linguist wrote:
bcbc55 wrote :

"neither coaching staff have been able to develop the BIGS offensively or defensively because most if not all of the coaching staffs were guards as players and do not seem to have the skill or knowledge to develop the BIGS on both sides of the ball last season."

Just to keep facts near the front of this discussion. Painting with a broad brush seems wrong. Richard Barron's staff has not had a chance to develop BIGS because this is their first year.

You can't say can't when they haven't had the chance yet.

"Linguist" This staff has had them since September for individual workouts in September and early October and as a team 38 days and 3 games and I have not seen any attempt to attempt to inside enough or to go inside outside to get threes. That tells me that like most D-1 teams in the men's division that BIG men are being ignored by replacing them with the 3 because other than Patrick Ewing I have not seen any 6'10" plus BIGS on any D-1 coaching staff, just a lot of face the basket players and point guards.

The Maine women under Barron did not develop BIGS either same philosophy," live by the 3 die by the 3."

Eze took 4 FGA's against UMPI and Denver and 2 FGA's vs. Utah 10 total in 3 games
Antoms DNP vs. UMPI and took 0 FGa's vs. Denver and 4 vs. Utah

So together as Maine's BIGS they have taken 14 FGA's so far.

Against D-1 teams Maine is shooting 31% for threes and have taken 54 3 point attempts out of113 FGA's so are taking 47.8% of their FGA's as 3's. (didn't include UMPI game as they are D-3 and those games just pad the stat for Maine). Only shot 23 foul shots vs. Denver and Utah. 9 foul shot attempts vs. UMPI. Not getting to the foul line enough illustrates No inside game, little inside-outside game and little dribble penetration to get kickouts for open threes or to get to the basket.

If they keep going at this pace then they will be no better than they were the last 4 years.

It maybe early in the season but so far a patern is emerging.

If it is going to change then I am like the man from Missouri, the show me state. THEN SHOW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby Muchups » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

fromthebench wrote:Great to see the commits for next year.
2 star recruits all.
Nick Fiorillo 6'8"
Ben Onek 6'5"
Andrew Hartel 6'9"

I've seen the first two on this list play many times.

I could see taking a shot at a player like Ben Onek. With further development he could potentially be a good wing player at a place like Maine. He's strong, athletic and has the build to play division 1. His skills are improving but he still seems slightly raw.

I don't think Nick Fiorillo could play division 1. He seems like a good division 3 player to me. He's got decent skills for a kid his height but he's slow and physically weak. He'd get dominated in D1.
Muchups

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics