Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Wow. It is only November and the UMaine men's coaching staff has verbal commits from 3 international high school seniors. They are as follows:

1. 6'9" Vejkic Radakovic, Serbia
2. 6'5" Peter "Pepe" Stumet, Sweden
3. 6'4" JaShonte Wright-McLish, Canada

All 3 are 2 stars for rating with 5 star being the highest rating

Maine currently has 12 scholarship players and 4 walk ons on their 2018-19 Roster.

However, really like those international players as they are usually fundamentally sounder and more coachable then players from the U.S. as why would U.S. players come to Maine because of the location, winters, weather and no success and usually ranked in the 300's of the 353 D-1 men's teams. If they come to Maine and are to good to play at Maine they sometimes Transfer like as has happened in the past 4 years. Not many, if any of the international players transfer after they get to Maine the past 4 years.

Maine still has not recruited a true D-1 BIG 6'10" 245lbs that can be an offensive threat on the block and to be a rim protector on Defense. With these 3 commits it does not look like that they will get one for 2019-20.
bcbc55

Re: Maine men BB team has 3 commits already for 2019-20

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Recruiting and signing are 2 different things. I would think they most likely have and are recruiting big guys. Everybody wants a big guy. They are a commodity and many times oversold. High profile schools will take a chance on a big kid hoping they will develop
hoopsisme

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:08 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Recruiting and signing are 2 different things. I would think they most likely have and are recruiting big guys. Everybody wants a big guy. They are a commodity and many times oversold. High profile schools will take a chance on a big kid hoping they will develop

hoopsisme: I agree recruiting and actually signing are two different things.

Agree that everyone wants a BIG, but how many of them are developed offensively after they get them? They are however, usually are athletic enough to be average or above average rim protectors.

Maine men recruited one BIG of the three new verbal commits 6'9", but only 203lbs, but 6'11" arm length.

Both the Maine women and men need a BIG. The Maine women have a 6'5" post player on their roster and Maine men have a 6'9" 245. They both are currently just sophomores, but neither coaching staff have been able to develop the BIGS offensively or defensively because most if not all of the coaching staffs were guards as players and do not seem to have the skill or knowledge to develop the BIGS on both sides of the ball last season.

Maine women can win America East without a BIG like they did last year, but will not beat non-conference or March Madness teams if they have good BIGS that Maine cannot match up with like in last years Big Dance loss by a big margin in March Madness.

The Maine men have not been able to beat conference and non-conference teams that have Good BIGS as they cannot match up defensively and have no inside or inside-outside game offensively.

Maybe with a complete new men's coaching staff that might change maybe and that is a BIG MAYBE they can develop their current BIG.

Don't look for the women's staff to develop their 6'5" BIG as she got far less Playing time last year compared to the Maine men's BIG. I hope I am wrong, but I am like the man from Missouri the "Show Me State", so they will both have to SHOW ME.

It will be a race to see which staff can develop their BIG first effectively so as to be effective as offensive and defensive threats. From what I have seen last year both BIGS have the potential to be developed if they are coached properly on being a back-to-the-basket offensive threat and coached properly to be a rim protector.

Take this for what it is....Just my old senior basketball person's opinion.

P.S. Having a decent inside game develops an inside-outside offensive block game that really opens up the 3 point game which it looks like both Maine teams relied on last year and looks like will again probably rely on again too much this year.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm just happy that the Oompa-loompa recruiting cycle is D-E-A-D! :)

In Barron We Trust.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

mainejeff wrote:I'm just happy that the Oompa-loompa recruiting cycle is D-E-A-D! :)

In Barron We Trust.

"mainejeff": I think I know who you are referring too as "Oompa-loompa is? But can you confirm please?

"In Barron We Trust"???? "Time and Patience and neither come in a bottle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:I'm just happy that the Oompa-loompa recruiting cycle is D-E-A-D! :)

In Barron We Trust.

"mainejeff": I think I know who you are referring too as "Oompa-loompa is? But can you confirm please?

"In Barron We Trust"???? "Time and Patience and neither come in a bottle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can confirm that "oompa-loompa" refers to recruits under 6 ft......not that there is anything wrong with "some" players under 6 ft......but cripes, this is D1!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 pm

mainejeff wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

In Barron We Trust.

I can confirm that "oompa-loompa" refers to recruits under 6 ft......not that there is anything wrong with "some" players under 6 ft......but cripes, this is D1!

"mainejeff: I agree. Basketball can be a very discriminatory game because of size. Mismatches on defense against man defense is tough to defend if teams take advantage of the size differences. Some 7 foot and over players would never have made the NBA if they were under 6'6" as it was only there size not their skill that made them successful.

A good example is if Shaq was under 6'6" he would not have even played D-1 college basketball and there are others to numerous to mention that go by because of their big size.
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:16 pm

"In Barron We Trust"???? "Time and Patience and neither come in a bottle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I can confirm that "oompa-loompa" refers to recruits under 6 ft......not that there is anything wrong with "some" players under 6 ft......but cripes, this is D1![/quote]

"mainejeff: I agree. Basketball can be a very discriminatory game because of size. Mismatches on defense against man defense is tough to defend if teams take advantage of the size differences. Some 7 foot and over players would never have made the NBA if they were under 6'6" as it was only there size not their skill that made them successful.

A good example is if Shaq was under 6'6" he would not have even played D-1 college basketball and there are others to numerous to mention that go by because of their big size.[/quote]

Coach Cim, I think you may want to use another analogy on the size thing like maybe Wilt the Stilt. I recall at LSU how agile and fleetfooted Shaq was and this video shows him taking the ball up the court. In fact watching the video his body reminds more of Patrick Ewing more than the Shaq. I realize somewhere during his pro career his body changed and he was limited to playing slow and close to the basket but that was not the situation when he was younger. He was an athletic freak in college for his size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzX2uwOkJII
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm

fafan wrote:"mainejeff": I think I know who you are referring too as "Oompa-loompa is? But can you confirm please?

I can confirm that "oompa-loompa" refers to recruits under 6 ft......not that there is anything wrong with "some" players under 6 ft......but cripes, this is D1![/quote]

A good example is if Shaq was under 6'6" he would not have even played D-1 college basketball and there are others to numerous to mention that go by because of their big size.[/quote]

Coach Cim, I think you may want to use another analogy on the size thing like maybe Wilt the Stilt. I recall at LSU how agile and fleetfooted Shaq was and this video shows him taking the ball up the court. In fact watching the video his body reminds more of Patrick Ewing more than the Shaq. I realize somewhere during his pro career his body changed and he was limited to playing slow and close to the basket but that was not the situation when he was younger. He was an athletic freak in college for his size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzX2uwOkJII[/quote]

"fafan": I agree 110% with you about SHAQ, my bad analogy. However, Wilt also was a BIG SIZED athlete. Great volleyball player and high jumper and track and field performer. Wilt holds alot of individual game performances like most points in a game, most rebounds, etc.

Wilt still could only beat Bill Russell and the Celtics once. Thanks for reminding of me of Shaq and Wilt and both of them were terrible foul shooters. Shaq with his noleg bending and just pushing the ball and Wilt and his underhand foul shooting.

Questionable if Shaq, Wilt or Bill R. could have played in the NBA during their time at 6'6" on their athleticism alone.
bcbc55

Postby hibbert » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm

bcbc55 wrote:Maine still has not recruited a true D-1 BIG 6'10" 245lbs that can be an offensive threat on the block and to be a rim protector on Defense. With these 3 commits it does not look like that they will get one for 2019-20.

I don't care if he is from Bangor, Baltimore, Budapest or Bangladesh. A 6'10" 245 pound recruit who can score in the low block and protect the rim is NOT coming to the University of Maine. Not only is he going to be at Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina or Louisville, he is only going to be there for one year before going to the NBA, and he is also going to get paid $50,000 under the table to do so.
hibbert

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics