Maine at UNLV Saturday Doubleheader

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Maine at UNLV Saturday Doubleheader

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:32 am

I misread then - I saw the first post saying game 2 started at 6... I figured that meant today's. My bad =))
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby thebam » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 am

the bullpen woes can be fixed.. not to panic. at least after the fiasco that is the winter sports season on the UMaine campus, it's nice to see a Maine team actually being competitive in games.

Looks like they are off to a decent start, bullpen notwithstanding. keep the faith.
thebam

Postby chbazdanes » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:10 am

There are two young fresh arms who stayed behind as well as a starter that when they rejoin the team in Deleware St. it should give the coaching staff more options although not proven battle tested yet with the exception of the starter.
chbazdanes

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 am

news on cox's arm injury??? tough loss, just goes to show that the last three outs are the toughest to get i guess. sounded like bilodeau pitched well for eight strong, gotta love that out of a freshmen, three games, three quality starts for the maine starters on the weekend. bullpen, bullpen, bullpen....
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 pm

I know that pitchers don't think like this.......but after issuing so many walks, wouldn't it be better to just get the damn pitch over the plate to put the ball in play? Is it really that impossible for guys to throw a pitch over the plate or are they just trying to throw their "best stuff" no matter where the pitch ends up???
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm

mainejeff wrote:I know that pitchers don't think like this.......but after issuing so many walks, wouldn't it be better to just get the damn pitch over the plate to put the ball in play?
Sometimes yes, and sometimes NO !! Depending on the situation, a walk will hurt you a heck of a lot less than a HR or even "just" a 2B ! P.S. - and Yes, pitchers actually DO "think like this", trust me !
mainejeff wrote:Is it really that impossible for guys to throw a pitch over the plate or are they just trying to throw their "best stuff" no matter where the pitch ends up???
YES, sometimes it "really" is "that impossible" (= completely) to just "throw a pitch over the plate", best stuff, easiest stuff, or otherwise. Ever see a MLB pitcher walk in a run ?, let alone a kid fresh out of HS, or even one with years of college experience ? Throwing that little ball of twine consistently over the plate is hard enough, let alone when "you have to".

Now I do hear what you're saying mj, and every Maine fan in the stands, every player and coach on the field, the umpires, and most of all the pitcher himself were certainly all "thinking" the same thing .... "Just throw it over the plate and let 'em hit it !" Then comes the tough part, and only one of those folks actually had to try and Do It !

If it were easy, .......... it wouldn't be baseball ! Walks are part of almost every game, and the dreaded free passes will lead to at least a run or thwee in the majority of college games. Nobody remembers the second inning walk followed by two singles that "cost you" the one-run game, but they sure as heck remember the one (or two) in the ninth that lead to the walk-off ! Tough outing, and incredible that the kid came back as solid and confident as he did the next day ! THAT speaks volumes (for the kid that is; as for the decision to put "him" out there in the first place, on either day, ....hmmmmmmm ????). Don't we just LOVE second guessing the Coach from the stands though (or our living rooms) ! :o TIMMAY !!!!!!!!!!! ... :twisted: :D ;)
TAL1957

Postby Fanodbears » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Well here is my take on what I saw.

Starting Pitching, all 4 games was good even though Biladou was the best of the 4 they all battled. Miller and Jebb did not have their best stuff but they both pitched good enough to win. The sign of a good pitcher is when you can still compete when you don't have your best. They hung in there. Ballentina is going to be a very high draft pick next year if he continues to get better and learn. He made great strides from last year and will need to continue to learn this summer.

Bull Pen; from Lousy to very good. With some luck we could have been 3-1. Jimmy Cox getting hurt could be the biggest blow. Between he and Benoit, both closers are now down and add Quinn and we have 3 serious elbow injuries in a 3 week period ? It was great to see Klack rebound when he could have very easily shown his age and stuck his head in the sand. AJ Balsinde showed guts asking for the ball in all 3 games. A few of the other guys need to take a look in the mirror and see if they really want to compete. For the few that got left behind, it's time to grow up a little and realize that your actions have already hurt your team and teammates.

Catching; Maine definetly has 2 solid back stops. They played great defensively and kept the running game to a minimum while keeping the staff focused. Both guys did a good job with the bats.

Infield; Some really outstanding play. The best I've seen after watching plenty of baseball. Yes there were a few errors but the physical stuff is part of the game. This was our first time fielding a ball on grass since Nov 1. We must have had 7 or 8 DP's during the series. From your tailor made 6-4-3 variety to 1-6-3 to 1-3-5. Just some real good stuff from the IF.

Outfield; Solid to Very Good. You can't say much more then that. Some really terrific plays all around running down deep shots to charging ball or running down balls in the gaps. Pleant of offense from Mac, Billy and new-commer Tager was on base all weekend. While we don't throw the ball great, we can definetely go get it.

Offense; We really had a lot of base hits according to the score board although watching it was a bit different. We did a excellent job of bunting when we were asked to and this accounted for at least 4 or 5 of our hits. Add to that another 3 or 4 infield hits on plays that should have been made. All in all it was our first time outside, under the lights, against live pitching . So to have as many hits as we did regardless of where they were hit is a positive. A few guys really hit the ball hard even though we didn't have to many extra base hits.

Base running; should have been better considering that we can work on that indoors. Missing signs is just inexperience, but running ourselves out of innings or situations where we just got the momentum hurts especially from seasoned guys. We got picked off 3X in game one and that ok, nerves etc and it got better as we went along. There were actually some very key baserunning moves in game 4 that helped with the win.

This is probably the best opponent we face this year. it was also an opponent that has been on the field since Feb 1. The prognosis is good. Again, I was very impressed with the way we played defense.
Fanodbears

Postby chbazdanes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:18 am

A certain direct source aka horses mouth couldn't have had a better analysis. Well-written and composed thx for taking the time to update us.
chbazdanes

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics