Fifield to UMaine

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Fifield to UMaine

Postby turkeyman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 am

Amy Vachon just hit a three-pointer from beyond half court.

Gary Fifield will be the assistant coach for this season only to replace Jhasmin Player, who left to become an assistant at Loyola Marymount.

Not even necessary to delve into the record of a coach who won 20 Little East championships in 27 years, won 18 LEC tournaments and went to the NCAA 23 times at Southern Maine. Four times, he took USM to the Div. III Final Four and played three times for the national title (1998, 2000, 2006). His winning percentage is 83.

This is, in my estimation, a really good get.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Re: Fifield to UMaine

Postby fafan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 am

Just an amazing addition to a very good staff. Hopefully this might help in recruiting in the southern part of the state as well. :D
fafan

Postby turkeyman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 am

Fafan, I don't know if he will be much involved in recruiting since it's a one-year appointment. On the other hand, just his presence on the UMaine staff is a signal to girls playing in southern Maine high schools that Maine is a place to consider.

It should please Cim, too, that all four coaches are from Maine (forgiving Fifield his degrees from UVM in consideration of his 27 years at USM) and three are Maine grads.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:54 am

Man, this type of a scenario could be trouble, but in this case, I don't think it will be. I think Gary has too much respect for Amy and by association, her dad Paul. Under other situations where you have someone who had tried unsuccessfully at least twice to be the head coach at a place get hired on as an assistant, you would wonder the rationale behind accepting the job. Not to mention when you factor in the incredible amount of success he had being a Head Coach instead of an asst (not used to taking "orders"). However, I'm sure he isn't really interested in that head coaching gig any longer and there would be no devious or underhanded reasons for him to take this job.

This also shows a great deal of confidence that Vachon has in herself to bring on somebody that does have the success level that he has and not feel threatened. He has probably forgotten more about basketball than most of us currently know so he could be a huge asset for her and show her things that she may have never thought of.

I think this is a great thing for the program!
parquetfloor

Postby CoachA » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Great hire! Coach Vachon for the slam dunk pick! Could be an exciting year for UMaine basketball with the women doing their usual thing...winning...and the men's team getting better every day!
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:28 pm

turkeyman wrote:Fafan, I don't know if he will be much involved in recruiting since it's a one-year appointment. On the other hand, just his presence on the UMaine staff is a signal to girls playing in southern Maine high schools that Maine is a place to consider.

It should please Cim, too, that all four coaches are from Maine (forgiving Fifield his degrees from UVM in consideration of his 27 years at USM) and three are Maine grads.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

"Bob": You are so right. Cim is well pleased with the hiring of Gary Fifield even if it is only for 1 year. I know Gary well, as I used to go to USM in the summer and and REF at Gary's team camps. With the hiring of Gary their coaching staff is just like the Maine men's staff, ALL HAVE COACHED IN MAINE AT SOME POINT IN THEIR CAREERS.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 am

But Cim on a scale of one to ten is it a nine..................teen! ?

Yes Fifield had success at USM which is Division 3 and as we just saw on the men's side a coach who had success at D3 doesn't always translate to D1 material.

I am hedging my bets on this one. He doesn't have to be in charge, he likely has no role in recruiting, and this was a stop gap filler. She reached out to someone with experience and was available. It doesn't really move the needle with me, it could be okay, but it might not work either. Let's remember Player had great qualifications as a collegiate and a professional athlete, she went to a big time school, and was also an African-American Woman which plays a role in recruiting to have a lead recruiter being female for high school girls. Bringing in a old white guy doesn't help in that matter at all.

Does this mean Courtney Anderson England is now the top assistant and lead recruiter? Sorry but that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 am

There's no doubt that Vachon will have to replace some big shoes on the recruiting front, but getting Fifield for THIS season is a good thing. He will be a good sounding board & another set of eyes with all of his experience.

I am concerned about next year's recruiting class now. Hopefully, Vachon will be putting out feelers to qualified top assistants and be ready to hire someone once the 2018-2019 season is over.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Linguist wrote:But Cim on a scale of one to ten is it a nine..................teen! ?

Yes Fifield had success at USM which is Division 3 and as we just saw on the men's side a coach who had success at D3 doesn't always translate to D1 material.

I am hedging my bets on this one. He doesn't have to be in charge, he likely has no role in recruiting, and this was a stop gap filler. She reached out to someone with experience and was available. It doesn't really move the needle with me, it could be okay, but it might not work either. Let's remember Player had great qualifications as a collegiate and a professional athlete, she went to a big time school, and was also an African-American Woman which plays a role in recruiting to have a lead recruiter being female for high school girls. Bringing in a old white guy doesn't help in that matter at all.

Does this mean Courtney Anderson England is now the top assistant and lead recruiter? Sorry but that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

"Linguist": He's a NINE......TEEN when it comes to BASKETBALL coaching experience and knowledge in my opinion. He will be a great resource for the young coaching staff members. At such a late date they were lucky to have him available and interested.

Too bad it is only a one year appointment, but I understand the need for a D-1 recruiter in the near future for the 2019-20 season.

It will not be easy to replace Player as a recruiter regardless of who they hire.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics