Future Football Schedules

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Future Football Schedules

Postby Justabasketballfan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 am

This from UMaineSuperFan...

"a natural rival? this stuff is laugh out loud funny. what kind of natural rivalry is there in literally any sport. this whole conversation is laughable. for your own sanity, just give it up.
it's never, ever, ever going to happen and that guy was just being nice to you via email because it's tacky for a university employee to tell you off."

There's a natural rivalry ... yeah, right.
Based on what? That players in both programs are breathing?
Yes, laughable. As for basketball_guy's sanity ... I'll let that one go. That's just low-hanging fruit.

Yes, it would have been tacky for a university employee to respond otherwise.
What did you expect, that he'd make a reference to your sanity?

Of course he was going to be nice to one of the all-time great 'Bama basketball walk-ons!

You chat with a lot of people from both schools ..... doesn't mean that you're chatting with anyone who knows anything.

Here's the only reality in any of your comments: "Maine will not be on Alabama's schedule through at least 2029."
You should follow up with "Maine will not be on Alabama's schedule .... EVER!"
Justabasketballfan

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:07 am

Colgate will open at Maine in 2022 (9/3) and 2024 (8/31).

Maine still needs a non-conference home game for 2020 and 2021. Here's what we know in those years:

09/03 - at Ball State
09/19 - at Connecticut
11/21 - New Hampshire

09/25 - at Northern Illinois
11/13 - at Massachusetts
11/20 - at New Hampshire

The CAA's new scheduling policy ensures rivalry games be played in the last week of the regular season. The 2021 schedule means that Maine's last home game will be played on November 6 or earlier. HEAT WAVE!
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

dunbar wrote:Colgate will open at Maine in 2022 (9/3) and 2024 (8/31).

Maine still needs a non-conference home game for 2020 and 2021. Here's what we know in those years:

That's great that they have signed on for a 4 game non-conference series vs. Colgate. A quality regional FCS program! :)

Regarding the 2020 & 2021 games....look for Merrimack to fill one of those slots. They are a new NEC/FCS program. Maine and UNH will be the first 2 places they look to fill out their non-conference schedule.
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Since the holes in the schedule are for both 2020 and 2021 , it's a great spot to try and get a big time FCS opponent for a home and home perhaps.
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 pm

thebam wrote:Since the holes in the schedule are for both 2020 and 2021 , it's a great spot to try and get a big time FCS opponent for a home and home perhaps.

My thoughts are considering all the non-conf games are on the road and vs FBS opponents for those 2 years, they are probably going to look at getting home games and vs opponents that "should" be wins.
parquetfloor

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
thebam wrote:Since the holes in the schedule are for both 2020 and 2021 , it's a great spot to try and get a big time FCS opponent for a home and home perhaps.

My thoughts are considering all the non-conf games are on the road and vs FBS opponents for those 2 years, they are probably going to look at getting home games and vs opponents that "should" be wins.

I have a hunch on Merrimack and Long Island.
dunbar

Postby BearDown » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:38 am

I hear you @thebam, and normally I would agree wholeheartedly. With 2 FBS opponents on the schedule each season I'd prefer a more manageable team for a home game. I mean, would've been nice to have had a Bryant like team last year at home instead of Yale on the road in the slop (don't get me wrong -love to play the Ivys).

We may have hosted that Quarterfinal game and performed better at EWU as a result (with the W over Bryant obviously).
BearDown

Postby fafan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 am

I have to agree wholeheartedly on our OOC games. We are never getting away from playing 2 FBS games so therefore we should do everything possible to play NEC teams or another league similiar to that. Had no idea that LIU joined the NEC along with Merrimack but they or any other team would be a much easier opponent than the top of the Ivy league. The top of the Ivy league is probably every bit as good as teams in the CAA and would expect sooner or later the Ivy league allows those teams to compete in the playoffs.

Dunbar, shouldn't we have another trip to Colgate if they are coming here twice?
fafan

Postby dunbar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:54 am

fafan wrote:I have to agree wholeheartedly on our OOC games. We are never getting away from playing 2 FBS games so therefore we should do everything possible to play NEC teams or another league similiar to that. Had no idea that LIU joined the NEC along with Merrimack but they or any other team would be a much easier opponent than the top of the Ivy league. The top of the Ivy league is probably every bit as good as teams in the CAA and would expect sooner or later the Ivy league allows those teams to compete in the playoffs.

Dunbar, shouldn't we have another trip to Colgate if they are coming here twice?

It's sounds like the Colgate deal is a two-for-one.

Long Island is a strange scenario. LIU is merging the LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post (Division II, formerly known as CW Post) athletic programs and keeping them in the NEC. All student-athletes will keep their scholarships, even if they don't make the merged team. Basically, anything that LIU-Brooklyn has in staying in Brooklyn, and anything that was on the Post campus that wasn't in Brooklyn will remain. Because it's a merger, there's no transition period up to Division I. Kind of funky, but it's another FCS program.
dunbar

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics