Future Football Schedules

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Future Football Schedules

Postby thebam » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 am

basketball_guy wrote:I wish I was wrong but alas I am not. I really don't want Alabama to play Maine. We have more to lose than to gain.
But I want see both Alabama and Maine do well. Not really looking for such a game. Apparently Maine contacted Alabama about it. That was a couple of years ago.

As nothing came of it then, I doubt anything will hopefully. I think Maine could give Alabama all it could handle.
No one expected Georgia Southern to Bama a game and they almost beat us...

It's possible you have your sports mixed up.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am

basketball_guy wrote:I wish I was wrong but alas I am not. I really don't want Alabama to play Maine. We have more to lose than to gain.
But I want see both Alabama and Maine do well. Not really looking for such a game. Apparently Maine contacted Alabama about it. That was a couple of years ago.

As nothing came of it then, I doubt anything will hopefully. I think Maine could give Alabama all it could handle.

Nope. Calling BS on this one. FCS schools will put out feelers to most of the Power 5 schools in order to get games. That doesn't mean there's any legitimacy over whether or not Maine is going to play Alabama, despite your "good authority". Ridiculous.

It's as bad of an idea as sacrificing home games to play in Portland...
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 am

by thebam » 05 Sep 2018 13:07
basketball_guy wrote:
I wish I was wrong but alas I am not. I really don't want Alabama to play Maine. We have more to lose than to gain.

It's possible you have your sports mixed up.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is not possible. You guys seem to think you know it all.

You don't, but we are entitled to our opinions here I guess.
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 am

So you are saying there is no chance Maine plays Bama in another sport? Is that your contention Mr. Knowitall? I'll wait.....
thebam

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 pm

There is a better chance that Alabama will play the Patriots in a preseason game than playing Maine. Basketball would not surprise me. Men or Women.
ExpoEddie

Postby thebam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:There is a better chance that Alabama will play the Patriots in a preseason game than playing Maine. Basketball would not surprise me. Men or Women.

or.... 8-)
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 pm

thebam wrote:
ExpoEddie wrote:There is a better chance that Alabama will play the Patriots in a preseason game than playing Maine. Basketball would not surprise me. Men or Women.

or.... 8-)

Should be a good series! :)
mainejeff

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 pm

I would say yes there is a chance. Alabama already came to Maine to play Maine when Coach Callie was here and they lost to Maine in WBB.

That was a few years ago.

But yes I know Maine was under consideration in football back in 2015.

I did remove my name for privacy reasons.

Honestly, I don't know where this stands today. I suspect the game will happen at some point

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Thu, Jul 16, 2015 11:25 am
Subject: RE: I think Maine would be a Natural Rival for Alabama

Thank you. We have received some interest from Maine, and we will explore the feasibility of such a game.

Finus
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Alabama came into Alfond as the tenth ranked WBB team in the country and lost to Maine back in December of 1994.

That was six months before I was born.

That’s more than a few years ago...
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes it is. I was an athlete at both schools albeit a walkon.
I don't pretend to understand schedules but have contacts at both schools. I guess what bothers me more is the fact
that I see what a business sports has become at Alabama while a school like Maine is always looking for more funding. There is something to be said for UMAINE being an FCS school. I guess one can dream that someday Maine will join the FBS subdivision but that does seem a long way off.

But who knows perhaps Maine wins the rest of their games and wins a National Championship in the FCS subdivision
this year. That would certainly be a very great thing.
basketball_guy

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics