WEEK 2: Maine at Western Kentucky (MBR on the road)

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 2: Maine at Western Kentucky (MBR on the road)

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 am

Some Video highlights from the Maine/WKU game

https://www.wbko.com/content/sports/Mai ... 74391.html
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 am

MattyB wrote:Maine downs Hilltoppers

get good reps against a Division 1 school

Maine only plays Division I schools. FBS and FCS are both Division I.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:40 am

dunbar wrote:

Hey Dunbar give these guys a break they are new to the D1 scene, nice to have them on the bandwagon. Also Coach Harasymiak is 12-11 not 8-5 ;)

Here is the article on the game from the UMaine site:
https://goblackbears.com/news/2018/9/8/ ... h=football
fafan

Postby MattyB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am

fafan wrote:
dunbar wrote:

Hey Dunbar give these guys a break they are new to the D1 scene, nice to have them on the bandwagon. Also Coach Harasymiak is 12-11 not 8-5 ;)

Here is the article on the game from the UMaine site:
https://goblackbears.com/news/2018/9/8/ ... h=football

Sorry gang, was writing while riding down I-65 after 24 hours of travel.

I need to hire an editor who isn't driving me :lol:
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby mainejeff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 am

MattyB....that comeback must have been surreal in person! What was the WKU coach thinking going for it on 4th down from the 15??? :? Also....do you know what happened to Edwards?
mainejeff

Postby turkeyman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Don't know anything about College Sports Madness website, but it has moved Maine up to 7th from 23rd in its FCS poll, posted today. Don't know who votes (three guys in someone's man cave, coaches, writers?) or how solid their knowledge, but 16 places in one week is a remarkable jump.

Looking on as one not overly schooled in football, three things came to mind. First, this team showed great composure, as several folks have mentioned, and stayed with it. Second, the players seemed on the same page emotionally, with real passion but well controlled. Third, Maine seemed to improve where it was needed after UNH, to wit, kicking game with all four PATs and the FG. Coaches showed some moxie, too, sticking with Doak rather than going for two-point conversions.

May have to brave the cold and go see the Black Bears when they get back to the Alfond. Last football game I attended, I believe, was Montreal Alouettes vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1972, when Alouettes had Johnny Rodgers. Roughriders won. That's a long drought, but these kids at Maine have piqued my interest.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby fafan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:35 pm

turkeyman wrote:Don't know anything about College Sports Madness website, but it has moved Maine up to 7th from 23rd in its FCS poll, posted today. Don't know who votes (three guys in someone's man cave, coaches, writers?) or how solid their knowledge, but 16 places in one week is a remarkable jump.

Looking on as one not overly schooled in football, three things came to mind. First, this team showed great composure, as several folks have mentioned, and stayed with it. Second, the players seemed on the same page emotionally, with real passion but well controlled. Third, Maine seemed to improve where it was needed after UNH, to wit, kicking game with all four PATs and the FG. Coaches showed some moxie, too, sticking with Doak rather than going for two-point conversions.

May have to brave the cold and go see the Black Bears when they get back to the Alfond. Last football game I attended, I believe, was Montreal Alouettes vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1972, when Alouettes had Johnny Rodgers. Roughriders won. That's a long drought, but these kids at Maine have piqued my interest.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Wow Bob that is a long drought. The next home game is 10/6 against Villanova at 3:30. At this point it looks to be a game between two of the better teams in the CAA. My wife and I and others tailgate in the south endzone , easy to find we have a US and UMaine flag. Please stop by, always have plenty of food.
fafan

Postby CFJunior » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:38 am

This Maine team is also very young. It is amazing how good they are being this youthful. If they stay healthy I can see them finishing 8-3 at worst and 10-1 at best. Cautiously optimistic...
CFJunior

Postby MattyB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 am

mainejeff wrote:MattyB....that comeback must have been surreal in person! What was the WKU coach thinking going for it on 4th down from the 15??? :? Also....do you know what happened to Edwards?

The NFL scout in the booth (and about everyone else I was near) was wondering the same. Assumed it was some sort of way to attempt to jumpstart the offense.

Coach mentioned "Being without 81" in the postgame in passing...but it was at the end of the wrapup...I was under the impression he was playing, as well.

The WKU postgame was happening at the same time as Maine's a little farther away..but WKU's Coach was pretty morose in the postgame.

FCS Maine scores 31 straight points, stuns WKU 31-28: https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... e17cd.html

WKU set up Maine’s go-ahead TD with a failed fourth-down conversion. Hilltopper running back Marquez Trigg was stuffed at his own 15-yard line on a fourth-and-1, turning the ball back over to Maine.

“I felt like we needed some juice, needed some offense,” Sanford said. “I wanted to give our guys an opportunity to go out and earn that fourth-down conversion.
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby fafan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:29 am

MattyB wrote:
mainejeff wrote:MattyB....that comeback must have been surreal in person! What was the WKU coach thinking going for it on 4th down from the 15??? :? Also....do you know what happened to Edwards?

The NFL scout in the booth (and about everyone else I was near) was wondering the same. Assumed it was some sort of way to attempt to jumpstart the offense. Coach mentioned "Being without 81" in the postgame in passing...but it was at the end of the wrapup...I was under the impression he was playing, as well.

Matty, he did play, in fact he tipped the interception returned for a TD and made the lamest attempt at a tackle I have seen . It was so lame I thought he was either injured or perhaps pulled from the game.
Would love to know the extent of the injuries, our guys were dropping like flies, hope a lot were just cramps.
Nice interview w/ Sterling and Chris. Did the scouts mention who they were looking at?
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics