Week 1 thoughts

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Week 1 thoughts

Postby Muchups » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Take aways for me:

1) Ferguson looked much better than last year. He doesn't need to take over games. He just needs to be confident and poised like last night.

2) Good job getting the ball to play makers. Edwards and Wright need to see lots of touches every game.

3) Defense played even better than expected.

4) Offensive line solid

5) It was somewhat lost in the blowout but kicking game was still horrible. A game or two more like that and I think Doak is done.

6) Crowd size was disappointing especially for opening night versus rival who was ranked #7 in the country. I hope we can do better moving forward as there are only 3 more home games.
Muchups

Postby thebam » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Muchups wrote:Take aways for me:

1) Ferguson looked much better than last year. He doesn't need to take over games. He just needs to be confident and poised like last night.

2) Good job getting the ball to play makers. Edwards and Wright need to see lots of touches every game.

3) Defense played even better than expected.

4) Offensive line solid This is why you got to list #1. Although I am a huge believer in C Ferg.. he definitely benefited last night from an outstanding performance from the hogs up front!

5) It was somewhat lost in the blowout but kicking game was still horrible. A game or two more like that and I think Doak is done.

6) Crowd size was disappointing especially for opening night versus rival who was ranked #7 in the country. I hope we can do better moving forward as there are only 3 more home games.
thebam

Postby reggierho » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Great win for the team!

Concerns:
1. Earnest Edwards is becoming a headcase...he is a Junior and should have better self-control and leadership. This problem was apparent last season. He just can't seem to stop jawing with other team players. The second penalty was used by him throwing his helmet on the field after #11 scored for Maine. REALLY? Coach H has got to get his head right. The offense was noticably flatter the second halfwithout him.
2. UNH is obviously not as good as last seasons team. They also had some key missing players. Just stunk all game and played with no energy.
3. Fergy still struggles with crossing patterns. Probably should limit those plays.
4. There was 2 opportunities for pick 6 if the UNH CBs were a little better. Gotta eliminate the forced poor passes. He can't fall in love with the back-shoulder pass. It will eventually get picked by better DBs.
5. UNH was not tackling well. They were diving into the RBs legs. Fitzy was able to take advantage of this by leaping over the DBs. This had a good result one time and a poor result the other time. I hope he does not fall in love with this move. He could get injured because he does not get high enough due to his athleticism.
6. Ramon has gotta run north/south. Far too much east/west shuffling in the backfield.
7. This game did not convince me. The 4 game gaunlet is coming! If we can win 2+ of these games, I'll be convinced!.
GREAT SEASON START...
reggierho

Postby mainejeff » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Wow....not one mention of the kicking game in the last post. Huh.
mainejeff

Postby CFJunior » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 am

mainejeff wrote:Wow....not one mention of the kicking game in the last post. Huh.

The kicking game is still an issue. It appears their first ever scholarship kicker has enough leg to make 40+ yard field goals, but his accuracy even for extra points hasn't been scholarship worthy.
CFJunior

Postby fafan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 am

mainejeff wrote:Wow....not one mention of the kicking game in the last post. Huh.

We left it alone as it was a negative issue and we knew you would address it :lol:
fafan

Postby BearDown » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Off topic...Is there any browser that displays this website correctly? I can't access my account/reply features/etc. bc the gui is a complete mess on Chrome/FF/IE. Any advice from veterans? Thanks.
BearDown

Postby maine612 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 am

Hi BD,

I have been having similar issues over past couple of weeks. The website does appear to be a mess... at least from my PC.

maine612

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 am

I use chrome and mine is appearing just like it always has...no issues here.

*Edit - I do see some issues at the top but it hasn't affected my browsing, reading or responding. But, I do see some issues at the top of the page for sure.
parquetfloor

Postby BearDown » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks Maine and Parq
BearDown

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics